No announcement yet.

The Photography Thread 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WEX seem to have a number or Mk2,3,4 and 5s in used at the mo: https://www.wexphotovideo.com/used-c...gory_order=asc

Comment

My wife was having a clear out and found her old camera which she's given to me.

It's an Olympus PEN E-P1 with three different lenses and it's lovely. It has a really shallow depth of field which is ideal for me because I'm bad at composing shots so often do close-ups of things.

The only thing I need to get used to is that it doesn't have a viewfinder. Instead, the screen digitally zooms in when I turn the focus ring which does help but can be a bit disorienting when I'm not prepared for it.

We went to a park recently to try it out and it was great fun. It's a huge leap over my iPhone and means I don't need to lug my DSLR around(old Canon 300D). I think I'll get rid of the Canon...

Comment

I have one of those, they work quite nicely with adaptors for other lenses too.

You can get add on viewfinders for them which plug into the hotshoe on top of the camera (I find the screen in bright light pretty much useless). Not sure what the availability is like for them on the EP1 any more though and they were quite pricey at the time: https://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/...pen/index.html - that's the most recent version which likely isn't compatible with the EP-1. It looks like they were only ever optical with the VF-1: http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...=538&faqs=7039

I've seen people Heath Robinson their own optical viewfinders
        Last edited by MartyG; 15-08-2018, 14:44.

Comment

Wow! Used ones are going for around 100-150 quid on Yahoo Auctions. I'll hold out for now but thanks for letting me know. Good to know there's the option at least.

Comment

Yeah, not cheap, but it seems that the EP-1 doesn't accept the electronic ones :/

One of the first mirrorless cameras to market along with Panasonic's G-1, the bonus with the Olympus is it has in body stabilisation, which you can still use when sticking manual lenses via an adaptor on the body. Micro four/thirds is great for that, you can pick up some great fun stuff like the CCTV camera lenses which have peculiar distortion outside the centre of the lens (dirt cheap too).
            Last edited by MartyG; 15-08-2018, 15:08.

Comment

Yeah I've used Canon FD lenses on a GH1. The 50mm makes a nice 100mm portrait lens.

Comment

Nikon finally officially announces their new mirrorless full frame cameras, the Z6 and the Z7: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...s-release-date

All you need is $3,999.95 for the Z7 and $2,599.95 for the Z6, but you do get the 24-70mm f4 Z-mount lens with that.

And apparently you're supposed to pronounce it as Zee. Yeah, that's not happening.

It does look well specified and the Z6 is a strong contender against the Sony A7iii - not as much of a bargain as a used A7ii which I've seen under £700 now mind.
                Last edited by MartyG; 23-08-2018, 07:04.

Comment

Looks like they shut down a few of the moaners too, built in stabilisation, loads of focus points, I saw some moaners on NR going on about the XQD and the lack of availability, next thing ping! Nikon announce their own brand - nice.

Mirrorless IS the future but I'm not jumping yet, battery life is poor, FPS isn't great and ISO range doesn't look too good either. I'll wait and see what the D6 is like.

Best announcement for me is the 500mm PF, I've been lusting after a 500mm prime and whilst I want to see some reviews first, if it's anything like the 300mm I might get one,

Comment

Some folks who tested the camera at the launch are saying the focusing isn't very good. Most didn't seem to have problems though, so maybe there were isolated issues.

UK prices are over 1:1 with the dollar with the Z6: https://www.wexphotovideo.com/latest-products/

Z6 £2699 with the 24-70mm
                    Z7 £3999 with the 24-70mm

I think I might have to wait for a couple or ten years for them to come down to a reasonable price

Comment

The new Delkin XQD cards are similar;
                      64GB - $140/£190
                      120GB - $230/£290
                      240GB - $464/£580

Crazy UK prices.

The MTF chart for the new 500mm PF is astounding, bit peeved you have to pay for the lens hood - 75 quid.

Overall I'm sure both will be great cameras, interested to see what Canon do as the rumours are they will launch next year, I don't think Sony can rest as easy now Nikon have landed, they may have decent kit but from what I read battery life, overheating, banding and ergonomics not that great.
                      Certainly interesting times though for the consumer.

Comment

Out in the September morning sun playing with the Olympus E-P1

On The River Welland

Which cost me a fair bit less than the Nikon Z7

Comment

Very nice Marty.

My current irk is I want the Nikon 10-20mm but you can't turn off the VR with a D7200. What the actual **** Nikon?
                          If I'd had this during my Italy trip this year I would deffo have wanted put it on a tripod to capture the epic lightning storm that happened (I will post the one good shot I got of this soon) but the VR would balls it all up. Releasing new lenses incompatible with a 3 year old DSLR...

Comment

Take a look at the 10-24mm Nikkor instead - I have that lens and its super sharp, no VR but you don't really need it on a lens that wide.

Little bit more expensive than the 10-20mm, but there's the 10-24mm Tamron too: https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equip...-if-nikon-fit/ and the Sigma 10-20mm: https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equip...hsm-nikon-fit/

I don't really use the superwide that often though, most of my shots tend to be in the 24-70 range or at the 500mm extreme tele end.

Comment

I've found I use my 18-55 at 18mm all the time and always wish it was wider, hence looking at these. Cheers for the links!

Comment

Like the look of the Sigma. My filter system is too small, argh! I was with micro 4/3rds when I got it but this sigma is 82mm!

Comment

Working...
                                X