No announcement yet.

The Photography Thread 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something different from as I force myself to make something other than a coastal long exposure..

Meadow, the cat that has recently adopted us...

Untitled by Gary Smith, on Flickr

Comment

The Sony RX100 seems like a nice walkabout camera - would be nice if it had a slightly longer lens though.

Burghley House in the Morning Sun by Marty Greenwell, on Flickr

Comment

No posts in nearly 3 months !

Still enjoying using my X-T20. Got some extra batteries recently as the battery life is shocking. Am using it today to shoot a corporate event there I work but unfortunately not allowed to share them outside of work, as there are strict rules about photography there.

A few from a recent outing..

Comment

Managed to get to the airport yesterday for the first time this year, great photo-ops;

Comment

Nikon announce their new megazoom - 3000mm!

The old (current) model is a 2000mm monster, if you search on YouTube for Nikon P900 moon/aircraft etc you'll get an idea of the power.

Comment

I have a P900 given the sensor size it produces some pretty decent results. It cost me £450. The P1000 is £999 - that's a bit of a premium, so I doubt I'll be upgrading, even though it does now shoot raw.

Great Tit by Marty Greenwell, on Flickr
              Last edited by MartyG; 11-07-2018, 04:52.

Comment

Lovely shot Marty

Comment

Yes it is a good one Marty, I've seen lots of reviews of this and it gets really good ones, of course you get the forum experts on DP and NR going on about a small sensor, stupidly big lens, moan, moan but the results are really good and yours prove it.

I've been using the daughters astro telescope with a T-mount on a Fuji S2Pro but a second hand P900 when the new one is launched (as loads will hit ebay) will do the trick.

Comment

It's also pretty big;
                    Nikon Coolpix P1000 vs. Nikon Coolpix P900 specifications comparison: COOLPIX P1000 COOLPIX P900 Effective Pixels (Megapixels) 16.0 million 16.0 million Image Sensor CMOS CMOS Sensor Size 1/2.3 in. 1/2.3 in. Storage Media SD memory card SDHC memory card SDXC memory card SD memory card SDHC memory card SDXC memory card Lens Zoom 125x 83x Vibration Reduction Lens shift VR […]

Comment

And it's about a kilo heavier - it's definitely a bit of a beast. The price, the size and the weight are definitely big downsides for this one.

Comment

Anyone got, or used, any of the Sony RX100 cameras?

Comment

Yes, in fact my RX100 Mk 1 has become my take everywhere camera.

Comment

Thanks Marty.
                            So, recommended? I currently use a D7200 but over the last few years my photography has reduced to mostly just travel and an SLR seems overkill the majority of the time. Occasionally the awesome low-light performance of the Nikon has been super useful but 99% of the time a compact would have done. They're up to a Mk6 bow but to keep costs down I was thinking a Mk 4. Had considered going mirrorless but tbh that's just a slightly lighter DSLR really; the issues of lugging a camera bag around etc. are still there. Something that fits in a pocket is more appealing.

Comment

I find the image quality even on the Mk 1 to be pretty decent. Noise is well handled given the size of the sensor, but don't go expecting DSLR quality or DSLR low light performance if you're pixel peeping. They're good, but not sensational.

Then there's price. You're right that the new Mk6 has a ridiculous premium on it for the extended lens range. Mk1 & 2 were 28-105mm, Mk3-5 are 24-70mm. An alternative similar camera is the Panasonic TZ100 or TZ200 - same sensor size and form factor, larger focal range (but slower lens). The Mk4 and Mk5 seem to go for similar amounts second hand, so I guess it depends on whether you're buying new.

The other thing of note is that they can be quite fiddly to handle as they're so small in form factor, so buttons and text/icons are also small. The Sony menus can be a bit quirky too, but once you've figured them out they're fine. You need spare batteries, especially if you're doing video, that eats them up in no time as they're not the biggest in capacity.

I paid £120 for my Mk1 off eBay (you can still get all of them new as they're still produced). This page has a comparison chart of the various features: https://photographylife.com/sony-rx1...ies-comparison

If size and weight is the main consideration and having a fixed focal length isn't an issue, as a travel camera I'd also consider the Fujifilm X100 series.

Overall I would recommend them as a great companion camera, but I wouldn't want give up my CSC or DSLR and have that as my only camera, but then weight isn't really a big consideration for me - but I appreciate having the higher quality compact for those time when I don't want to take a large camera with me. If you're not wanting to produce massive poster size prints for the wall, I don't think you'd be disappointed with the results they're capable of.
                              Last edited by MartyG; 15-08-2018, 11:22.

Comment

Aha! Well I was going to have to replace the DSLR with this, but if I went for a Mk1 I guess I could have it in addition to. Cheers.
                                I'll check out the Panasonics and the Fuji too.

Comment

Working...
                                X