This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
    I've never had the easure of having a DVHS deck I would like one! Used to have a large HDDVD collection but binned that off when Bluray discs become £1 fodder. One beta tape in the cupboard, mainly just LD now!
    The T2 LD is worth a bit if you've got that.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
      I've never had the easure of having a DVHS deck I would like one! Used to have a large HDDVD collection but binned that off when Bluray discs become £1 fodder. One beta tape in the cupboard, mainly just LD now!
      Ah OK, interesting. Yeah I had quite a few HD-DVDs, I got into them when they were being sold off for peanuts alongside the 360 add-on. DVHS is one that’s always intrigued me so I was just curious.

One more Q - out of interest, anything you’ve got on LD that wasn’t released on future formats?

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post

One more Q - out of interest, anything you’ve got on LD that wasn’t released on future formats?
        Yeah that used to be one of the big pulls of LD in the dvd era, lots of stuff unreleased or the LD version was uncensored but to be honest bluray has put pay to that with lots of special interest and horror etc getting posh releases. There is still plenty of music, mainly live concerts or niche stuff like Devo the truth about de-evolution and ABC - Mantrap fee I've got but it's getting less.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
          The T2 LD is worth a bit if you've got that.
          T2, got 5 LD versions of it I think but yeah there is one particular version of it I don't have that is pricey which was made for widescreen TVs only they call these versions "Squeeze" LD's.

LDDb.com - The LaserDisc Database - Collections, Wishlists, Marketplace of obsolete and niche video formats (LD/CED/VHD/D-VHS/HD DVD)
          Last edited by Baseley09; 31-08-2021, 22:57.

Comment

The only update to my setup, managed to rearrange one tiny corner by turning my pc sideways and moving the DS nitro capture around the back to make room for my switch's second screen. Perfect position for it as i play sat on the bed so it's right in front of me so the size works fine, spent a lot of last night playing old arcade stuff on it. Phone sucks for taking pics when it's on though as the auto darkness kicks in and screws the balances up.
            Last edited by importaku; 19-09-2021, 13:58.

Comment

I've been working through my collection tidying it up and removing a lot of the stuff I don't fancy keeping any more to the point where I've actually got some fairly large gaps I can put random items into. Ignore the Blu-rays, they're going to be replaced with a small selection of PAL Xbox 360 games. The selection of horrible VHS tapes are staying though. And there's maybe another 3-4 MD/SMS games to put in.

I like it this way, trying to keep it fairly lean and just have things that I really like or have some personal connection with. Once the shipping prices start getting more back to normal I think I'll buy a few more Japanese PS1 games though, it's a bit thin.

Comment

I've been ruminating on the same thing Hirst. I'm kind of sick of looking at my gaming shelves. There's stuff up there where I'm like, this is just like living in a CEX. Why do I have this mid tier PS3 games looking down at me every time I'm sat on the sofa?

Might thin it out and actually get rid of some stuff for the first time ever.

Then again maybe I'll chicken out and just offload some stuff to my parents' house, they've got plenty of storage space

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                  I've been ruminating on the same thing Hirst. I'm kind of sick of looking at my gaming shelves. There's stuff up there where I'm like, this is just like living in a CEX. Why do I have this mid tier PS3 games looking down at me every time I'm sat on the sofa?

Might thin it out and actually get rid of some stuff for the first time ever.
                  I do it every so often and I think it's quite liberating, I can't say I have ever regretted it. There's a lot of games I've enjoyed over the years but I can't see me returning to. Anything I've got I either intend to play or have some personal nostalgia over - the odd game I've been given by somebody, bought on holiday, etc. But it's like keeping some random Xbox shooter that I only ever used to play online and the service is long dead, an MD game I finished but don't ever see me playing again, things I'm a bit indifferent about.

Easiest way I think is to do three piles - keep, to go, not sure. They usually end up about the same height. Don't worry about looking up values or figuring out how you're getting rid of any at this stage, do that later. The "keep" ones I give them a good clean and put them back, the "to go" ones go in a box for later, the "not sure" ones I box them up and come back to them in a few weeks/months/years and I find it easier to decide then. I've just been doing a box of about 30 previously "not sure" MD/SMS games today and whittled it down to 5, the rest can go for good.

Good thing is when you sell a load of games, even the cheapo ones start to add up and you can put the money into something else. Feels great to trade a load of stuff you didn't want for something you always fancied but never got round to.

Comment

Thanks Hirst, that's good advice I think I will do that.

Comment

That looks really nice Hirst, I always moved from one system to another selling everything in the process, looking back I've always regretted not keeping my PlayStation and Dreamcast collections.

It's a pet project I keeping thinking of doing to start a new collection of PS and DC games at some point.

Comment

I'd love to tackle that with my own collection. Always find selling undesirable imports to be such a pain though lol

Comment

Tell me about it, I have hundreds of crap Saturn, PS1, PS2 and PC Engine games taking up so much space because buying a bulk lot to get a couple of good games a bit cheaper seemed a good idea. Wish I hadn't bothered now. I'm starting to box up stuff I won't play and sort out my duplicates, I'll try to sell them and any PAL games that don't go can be taken to CEX. My games room has hit critical mass and I desperately need the space.

I'm not even sure what to do with the imports, can't even take them to CEX to dump on them

Comment

Originally posted by phillv85 View Post
                            Tell me about it, I have hundreds of crap Saturn, PS1, PS2 and PC Engine games taking up so much space because buying a bulk lot to get a couple of good games a bit cheaper seemed a good idea. Wish I hadn't bothered now. I'm starting to box up stuff I won't play and sort out my duplicates, I'll try to sell them and any PAL games that don't go can be taken to CEX. My games room has hit critical mass and I desperately need the space.

I'm not even sure what to do with the imports, can't even take them to CEX to dump on them
                            I mean, I collect PAL and NTSC US PS1 and PS2… feel free to give me a list !

Comment

Will do, need to compile one first, another thing that fills me with dread

Comment

Originally posted by phillv85 View Post
                                Tell me about it, I have hundreds of crap Saturn, PS1, PS2 and PC Engine games taking up so much space because buying a bulk lot to get a couple of good games a bit cheaper seemed a good idea.
                                I've done this before quite a lot (and I'd probably do it again). Usually what I do is whittle it down to the stuff nobody really wants, swap any nice cases for rougher ones within what I'm keeping, then just put it on eBay as a job-lot with the starting price as what it will cost me to post. Sometimes it does really well, it's amazing how giddy people can get about auctions sometimes. It's a lot less grief than trying to deal with individual folks over stuff that will sell for £5 a pop.

Comment

Working...
                                X