Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the weaknesses of my current setup is that I've no way of switching between component video so I've had to manually switch the wires any time I wanted to use either of my different region PS2s or the Wii. "This is very annoying, if only there was some simple solution" I thought. Then I found out about the Gcomp component switch and thought "Yes, this sounds great, but is there surely must be some way that is both cheaper and more stupid".

Behold this 19-inch rack mount monstrosity:

I got it for a steal so I'm happy enough. Just need some BNC to RCA adaptors and I'm set. It's video only, but my audio is handled separately.

Comment

I actually think that looks really cool

Comment

Looks cool.
        Gotta love a bit of cassette futurism.

Comment

I appreciate those of you who spend your days in data centres might feel very differently, but in my head there is something very no-nonsense about rack mount stuff. I like it.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, it's a monstrosity that I also love. They do ridiculously huge composite switchers too so I'm tempted to make a set!

Comment

Yep, that is a sweet looking piece of kit.

Comment

I'd forgotten I'd bought this on Kickstarter. Turned up this morning which is a month earlier than I thought it would be here!!

This is the UpSpec Gaming Monitor, essentially turning your Series S into an Xbox Laptop (fat top?).

Have to say, it's very impressive and it's smartly designed to fit with the console. It just slots over the rear USB and HDMI port, then clamps to the sides using two grips for a firm fit.

It's bus powered from the USB so only one power cable required, and it uses HDMI-CEC so you can configure it to power down the Series S when you close the screen.

If there's one niggle the colour match isn't quite accurate. It's a slightly lighter shade of white. It also blocks the rear LAN port and second USB, but that's liveable given its going for portability.

Screen is 11.6" and 1080p60... it's really sharp and has great brightness (set to 80% default). Even the stereo speakers are decent.

Glad I stumped up for the case as well.

Comment

My awesome brother just gave us a 50inch Panny plasma for the snug. PQ is amazing. It’s 3D too so I’ll have to pick up a couple of cheap movies from CeX and see what it’s like (haven’t got the glasses yes, my bro has them somewhere).

It’s got a game mode too so perfect for a bit of this …

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Awesome! Reminds me of my old Panny plasma. It was a brilliant set. Better motion than my OLED (also Panny), too.

Comment

I'm looking at what to buy to furnish a spare room that'll be devoted to my video games and consoles.

Are IKEA's BILLY bookcases still the best for storing CD- and DVD-cased video games? They're only 28 cm deep whereas most shelving units are deeper, but that extra space is wasted unless you stack things two deep which I don't want to.

Comment

Originally posted by Deuteros View Post
                          I'm looking at what to buy to furnish a spare room that'll be devoted to my video games and consoles.

Are IKEA's BILLY bookcases still the best for storing CD- and DVD-cased video games? They're only 28 cm deep whereas most shelving units are deeper, but that extra space is wasted unless you stack things two deep which I don't want to.
                          I had a good look into this a few years back and went with the Billy - two half width ones (with half glass/half wood doors) and one full width (with full glass doors). The depth is perfect for games but the key thing for me was the fact you can easily buy extra shelves and set all the heights as you like (except the middle one), so I could set the shelf heights less for jewel cases and more for big boxes at the bottom. I think my main one has 3 extra shelves than standard. Most of the other shelving units out there will let you adjust the heights but they won't sell you extra shelves.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                            I had a good look into this a few years back and went with the Billy - two half width ones (with half glass/half wood doors) and one full width (with full glass doors). The depth is perfect for games but the key thing for me was the fact you can easily buy extra shelves and set all the heights as you like (except the middle one), so I could set the shelf heights less for jewel cases and more for big boxes at the bottom. I think my main one has 3 extra shelves than standard. Most of the other shelving units out there will let you adjust the heights but they won't sell you extra shelves.
                            That's exactly what I did a couple of years ago. I bought two 28 cm deep units and added two extra shelves to each one, adjusting their heights to fit DVD-sized objects with the remaining space enough for CD-sized ones. I added the same wood and glass doors to those two but I don't think I'll do the same to these other ones I'm looking to buy: the doors cost more than the units and, unless you anchor them to the wall (which I never did), they risk tilting forward when both doors are open.

It's nice to know these are still one of the best options available, thanks for your input!

Comment

Also worth looking at the Gnedby units at Ikea. There aren't standard doors you can stick on the front of them, but if you're not wanting to do that or to double-stack your games it might be a better option given the depth is just right for jewel case / DVD games, and you can often squeeze them into tight spots where a Billy wouldn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                                Also worth looking at the Gnedby units at Ikea. There aren't standard doors you can stick on the front of them, but if you're not wanting to do that or to double-stack your games it might be a better option given the depth is just right for jewel case / DVD games, and you can often squeeze them into tight spots where a Billy wouldn't work.
                                Those (and extensions for the BILLY's) might be useful if I need to squeeze a little bit of extra storage space, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X