Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really wish you hadn't done that. There's a tape measure right next to me and I just found that one spot (where I was already considering ditching what was there currently) in my bedroom would fit one almost perfectly. **** you

Comment

Following a square-up due to the visit of a friend, and the purchasing of some rear-mounted LEDs for the TV, here's ours for the moment:

So that's...

The ~50" TV
      WiiU
      2x Nintendo Switches (we won one in a contest and so ended up with one each)
      My modded PS2, bought off this very forum
      Slimline PS3
      Resident Evil 4 GameCube
      NES Mini
      SNES Mini
      My gaming PC (the thermaltake cube thing) which is connected via HDMI
      My hifi which conveys the sound for everything - Minidisc, CD and with the cassette player expansion (was cheaper than a soundbar!!)

The bucket shelving units just on the left of the screen contain all the pads & cables, and Guild Wars 2 is running on the TV.

Comment

Nice set up you've got there. I've got the exact same Sony stereo which is not only still going strong (after probably about 18 years!!) but also sounds bloody great too !!

Comment

Could you not find a Nintendo stereo, [MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION]?
          #blacksheep

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            Could you not find a Nintendo stereo, @Asura?
            #blacksheep
            The sony Hi-Fi doesn't quite fit on the Sony shelf. It would, if I was to remove the tape deck... Which I might do. It's a separate which works with a wide range of Sony hi-fis, and apparently people will pay quite a bit for it, and I don't use cassettes.

Originally posted by Womble9 View Post
            Nice set up you've got there. I've got the exact same Sony stereo which is not only still going strong (after probably about 18 years!!) but also sounds bloody great too !!
            It really does. I also own a portable Minidisc player as I used to love them, and I still burn the occasional disc. It's weird how it still works so well; because it auto-marks tracks, you can actually create Amazon Music etc. playlists and record those to a disc.

I got it because I was about to buy a soundbar, but someone pointed out to me that there are loads of these MD hi-fis on eBay for ~£70 that will give you much better sound than a soundbar in that price-range (as these hi-fis cost £200-300 back-in-the-day and speaker technology at low-end hasn't really changed much).

I think it cost me £65 and it has really transformed my living-room setup. It runs via optical which comes out of my TV, so all my HDMI devices run through it. Given, it's only stereo 2.0, but that was an enormous step up from the TV's built-in speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
              The sony Hi-Fi doesn't quite fit on the Sony shelf. It would, if I was to remove the tape deck... Which I might do. It's a separate which works with a wide range of Sony hi-fis, and apparently people will pay quite a bit for it, and I don't use cassettes.

It really does. I also own a portable Minidisc player as I used to love them, and I still burn the occasional disc. It's weird how it still works so well; because it auto-marks tracks, you can actually create Amazon Music etc. playlists and record those to a disc.

I got it because I was about to buy a soundbar, but someone pointed out to me that there are loads of these MD hi-fis on eBay for ~£70 that will give you much better sound than a soundbar in that price-range (as these hi-fis cost £200-300 back-in-the-day and speaker technology at low-end hasn't really changed much).

I think it cost me £65 and it has really transformed my living-room setup. It runs via optical which comes out of my TV, so all my HDMI devices run through it. Given, it's only stereo 2.0, but that was an enormous step up from the TV's built-in speakers.
              Thanks for the insight on the MD HiFi. Looking to buy one to pair it with my bedroom Sony TV. Any particular models I should look out for?

Comment

Originally posted by DaytimeDreamer View Post
                Thanks for the insight on the MD HiFi. Looking to buy one to pair it with my bedroom Sony TV. Any particular models I should look out for?
                The key is to make sure it has the necessary inputs; not all of them do. Mine uses optical, which works pretty well. A useful source for Sony hifis of this era is...

This only applies to the hifis that use Minidisc, however, I find these the best choice as people don't want them despite them being fine for other things.

The one that people consider as definitive, IIRC, is the Sony DHC-MD373. This was a very successful line of compact Sony Minidisc units, is readily available, and is almost identical to mine.

Mine is the Sony DHC-MD595, which I think had a different name in Europe and is much harder to come by. The only reason I sought this one is that it supports MDLP (the encoding method that allows you to double/quadruple the "length" of a Minidisc recording due to compression, and I think that MDLP-2, which makes the discs effectively 2hrs long, is pretty important if you want to use MDs).

I have also owned a Sony CMT-C5, which was a wonderful unit, but I bought mine off eBay and the Minidisc recorder function was faulty. Despite that it was wonderful; the only problem was that it had non-standard speaker connections so you couldn't swap out the speakers or use those speakers with something else.

Buying older hifis can be a bit of a minefield though, as they have components which can wear away, even in storage. Mainly stuff made of rubber.

CD is a pretty resilient format though, so generally those are OK. Minidisc, less so; they are extremely difficult to fix, and new parts are nonexistent. Also, don't be drawn in by "NetMD" players/hifis which say they can transfer your music over USB like an iPod; they were great in theory, but are a nightmare to get to work correctly and they have severe DRM restrictions that these days we would consider malware. I would honestly be surprised if anyone could get one to work under a modern OS anyway.

If you don't care about Minidisc (and probably don't) then these things won't be a problem for you. I just have a soft spot for MD, as it seems to typify the "high-tech Japanese" technology aesthetic better than practically any other gadget.

Comment

A new addition to the living room for the SFC and PCE

Comment

You Kirkcaldy boys and your B&O’s.

Comment

Simple and sleek, i like it!

Comment

Nice!
                        Once I get my MVS up and running again next weekI can't decide whether to use the ossc into a 27" LCD, or just use the commodore 1084s. I reckon it'll look ace on the CRT but the ossc is currently unused.

Comment

Managed to get the 20F1E into the set up downstairs

Image CAF943 FB 197 A 4 F0 A 8 FAB 6 E4 CFBED01 D3 hosted in ImgBB

Oops, double parked...

Image 003 A1 DC6 8371 41 A6 89 C6 E8 D621825 E41 hosted in ImgBB

I don’t game on the plasma; it pretty much for home cinema/vinyl/ minidisc sessions etc

Image 1 E17 BE52 28 E2 4132 8 D8 E 777 FD5 A0 A01 F hosted in ImgBB

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post

Oops, double parked...

I don’t game on the plasma; it pretty much for home cinema/vinyl/ minidisc sessions etc

https://ibb.co/fQEh1T
                            Nice!

Want to to put one of those double parked monitors my way? I need to get a TATE set up for the Pi

Comment

Originally posted by dyer60 View Post
                              Nice!

Want to to put one of those double parked monitors my way? I need to get a TATE set up for the Pi
                              Will need to see mate as a few are already earmarked; hows the Ikegami going?

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post

Oops, double parked...

https://ibb.co/fQEh1T
                                I feel like you need an intervention.

Comment

Working...
                                X