No announcement yet.

Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe, it's possible they've found a way to make things travel faster than light.

Comment

This is pretty scathing of the Scarlett unvailing. I kind of know what theyre getting at, but can't agree with it all.
      Everyone knows what faster Ram and CPU means in performance.
      The Halo trailer was pretty meh though. It should have wowed.

Comment

The Halo trailer was a massive anticlimax , left me completely not giving a **** tbh

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
          This is pretty scathing of the Scarlett unvailing. I kind of know what theyre getting at, but can't agree with it all.
          Everyone knows what faster Ram and CPU means in performance.
          The Halo trailer was pretty meh though. It should have wowed.
          https://www.polygon.com/2019/6/10/18...arlett-e3-2019
          There's always some journos out for blood. They basically did a carbon copy of the Scorpio teaser where they talk tech speak for the tech nerds that care. Next year they'll show you the tin, the price and the consumer experience. This isn't anything new.. just a baited article full of hate. We're over a year from launch, chill out.

I agree about the Halo trailer though. A bit too little... Even if they'd just shown 5 seconds of actual campaign gameplay to finish. Instead we will have to wait.

One thing that was noticeably absent from the Scarlett discussion was the two different SKUs. I'm setting all these articles of PS5 will be more powerful, or it won't ...blah blah... No-one has mentioned Scarlett being two consoles, not one. Who's comparing here and between what precisely?

It's all guff in the wind isn't it.

I'm just happy to play Lego Forza, new free Borderlands 2 DLC and have my subscription bumped out to late 2021 for £1.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
            There's always some journos out for blood. They basically did a carbon copy of the Scorpio teaser where they talk tech speak for the tech nerds that care. Next year they'll show you the tin, the price and the consumer experience. This isn't anything new.. just a baited article full of hate. We're over a year from launch, chill out.
            Yeah, its next June when MS need to sell Scarlett and show it off to the world. This was just about MS saying they're still in the console race, going for power, no more Kinect screw-up

I agree about the Halo trailer though. A bit too little....
            But again that's HALO. With Halo 3 all one got was an In-Game trailer and date to finish the fight. This is a game that will no doubt be shown off next year, though I must say those real-time graphics looked amazing, the only downer was they showed nothing of the planet environment. One can hope it's very much like the original, that when you land its a huge WOW moment.

Hopefully, all the talk about X Cloud lad being no worse than on LCD with no game mode on is true, that be pretty awesome, like how one can use their own Xbox to be a server to play games on your devices too for free. Just hope the tech meets up with all the hype and promise, for both this and Google plans too.

Nice to think, no matter where you go (within reason) all you need is a joypad and a screen to enjoy console-like gaming that's half decent, but I do not believe it, until it's out in the wild. If it works mind.. the horrible valley lines commute, may never be the same again

Comment

From the approach they're taking the two SKU's thing for XB4 doesn't make that much sense. You'll have a window of games that work on XBO and XB4 and the idea of there being something in the middle is literally just an XBX. At best you'd be looking at a revision of the XBX to make a Slim cheaper version viable but it still dilutes the sales pitch at a time when their rival will be coming in hard on a 'true next gen' message. I think that's why there's so little official chatter about it, even if there's a second SKU on the true Scarlett model matters.

Comment

Thinking about it, what Microsoft's show reminded me more of anything else was Netflix.

There were a lot - A LOT - of games, and probably 80% or more of them on Game Pass, which is kind of amazing. But there weren't really any tentpoles that genuinely excited me. It reminded me of the Netflix strategy of supplying vast quantities of fairly mediocre content - especially when they said 'there are thousands of games in development for Xbox currently'.

The Halo trailer was definitely a disappointment. You'd think they'd treat this as an opportunity to bring new people into the franchise and really renew it for a new generation and an expanded audience, but that trailer just left me cold.

Comment

The Gears 5 one was the worst for me, not fully showcasing you're next AAA at the presentation felt like it suggested a lack of confidence in it.

Then they announced quite a lot which was nice even if it was clear that these weren't Xbox AAA exclusives, just the stuff their acquired studios were already bringing to completion so it's a bit like them clearing the decks (still nice though as many would likely have been low profile flops but will now benefit from MS's backing). They'll help carry the XBO across the finish line as post-September it's clear MS is done supporting XBO with its core franchises in favour of XB4 now.

Halo, it looked alright but it depends on how you look at it. It's a cutscene and as has been long established even in-engine cutscenes aren't representative of how games look in game most of the time, plus familiarity with PC tech puts Halo more in the run of the mill territory but on the flip side it's never really been a franchise to bet on for being a graphics boundary breaker, only Halo 1 and Halo 4 were visually impressive for their time.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post

The Halo trailer was definitely a disappointment. You'd think they'd treat this as an opportunity to bring new people into the franchise and really renew it for a new generation and an expanded audience, but that trailer just left me cold.
                    If the game and console were launching this year, for sure. It's not coming out until winter next year. One does have another E3 before then, it's not like MS were showing off Halo 3 or the 360 nearly 2 years before they launched

Comment

We'll have to agree to disagree TA. For me, it was simply dull as a trailer. To succeed, it should have been a 'Wow' moment, not an 'Eh, okay' moment.

And agreed SF, not showing Gears gameplay when it was so close to launch was concerning. I think it'll be very much like Gears 4, which was a nice enough game but very last gen. I'll play it though, for sure.

Comment

Game Pass has been glorious this year, because MS has so little content of their own and are so generous with their GP offers they've just confirmed I'll make it through the entirety of 2019 completing their biggest releases having paid them the grand sum of £0 for the privilege

Comment

We'll have to agree to disagree TA. For me, it was simply dull as a trailer. To succeed, it should have been a 'Wow' moment, not an 'Eh, okay' moment.
                          The WOW needs to come next year in the run up to the game and systems launch and even then I doubt 343 will show off much of the single player. Don't quite agree with Gears V, they have a clear road map set out for that game and we'll see more of the single-player mode in August, not that it's worth it, people already know what to expect. But yes.... I think more single player footage should have been used in the briefing

I would have liked to see more of Ori: the Will of the Wisps, Elden Ring and Phantasy Star Online 2 actually running on the one myself. The worst part of the whole show was how crap Battletoads looked, even the Arcade game looked way more impressive and that came out in the 90's

Comment

I didn't need them to show off loads of the single player of Halo, it just needed to be something cool and exciting. What they had did not stir me - and that's a fail in my books.

If a trailer isn't there to excite me, what is it there for?

Comment

If a trailer isn't there to excite me, what is it there for?
                              I'm just picturing this:

Comment

I didn't need them to show off loads of the single player of Halo, it just needed to be something cool and exciting. What they had did not stir me - and that's a fail in my books.
                                We'll see next June, when MS really have to pull out all the stops. Until then it was nice to get a trailer that wasn't CGI but using the In-game engine

Comment

Working...
                                X