Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Films Have You Watched This Week - The Sequel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watched The Dark Knight Rises finally last night. Thought it was a really good ending to a solid trilogy. Hardy was superb as Bane - Nolan has worked wonders with a character that's usually just portrayed as a hulking brute. Couple of nice twists along the way (especially right at the very, very end) and I really liked how they introduced
    My only slight against the film was the cinematography and fight choreography was very disappointing after the first two. Instead of lots of quick cuts to show batman taking down baddies it felt like they just let the camera role from a single angle when filming the combat - which really showed how rigid the suit is. I preferred the combat in the Dark Knight when you'd only see brief glimpses of Batman as he punched and swung his way through a crowd of baddies.

Overall though, a really enjoyable film and I look forward to watching it again when they release the trilogy boxset.

Comment

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - got pretty good reviews from you peeps so I was looking forward to this. For me the CGI was amazing, the rest unfortunately was a bit "meh". I don't know why I wasn't more engaged. Perhaps it was too much of a slow burn. The pinacle of planet of the apes for me is still the Simpsons episode "Deep Space Homer".

Comment

Just got done watching Battleship and holy **** is it a piece of garbage!

Not even Liam Neeson himself could save this poor excuse for a film. The acting, the plot, the motives, absolutely zero thought went into making it. As I was watching I actually felt sorry for the poor souls that had to do the CG for this film - all that time wasted!

It's easily the worst big budget film I've ever seen in my life. Truly shocking!

Comment

I had recorded The King of Comedy a wee while back and finally got round to watching it on Tuesday night. I know it is well thought of but I had no idea just how good it is. That has got to be one of the best films Scorsese has made. Great script, strong performances from all the leads and enough humor to keep Pupkin's delusions from seeming dangerous. I have to single out De Niro for a performance which seems so out of character for him. There is none of the usual hint of danger or threat that I associate with a lot of his performances. A really great turn from an outstanding actor.

Funny how thirty years later the cult of celebrity aspects of this film seem perfectly in tune with the times. It's just that looney fans can do their stalking from the comfort of Twitter these days.

Comment

^It's absolutely superb, isn't it. Will have to watch it again, been a long time.

Been rewatching the original Get Carter in ten-minute snippets over the last few 'nights' (ie. night shift morns). Weird how I always forget the 'train/music' bit isn't the actual beginning of the film, I've seen this film at least ten times and I always forget(??) Watching it makes me realise how cack things like the first Taken really are, despite me enjoying much of that film. Truly raw and gritty, what a movie, Michael Caine is one iconic badass in this, this is up there with the 70s Sleuth in terms of his best movies, better than, even (and that film is f*cking **AMAZING**).

I love those 'rewatchables'.
            Last edited by JazzFunk; 30-11-2012, 06:26.

Comment

Love Get Carter, brilliant film. The bit where he comes out of the house with a shotgun, naked and next door drops the milk bottle.

Comment

Kingdom of Heaven - been ages since I saw this and upon this most recent viewing I reckon it was unfairly maligned by myself previously. Definitely a lot better film than I remembered and Orlando was certainly a lot better than I recalled. Perhaps in the back of my mind on my first viewing, was the much touted but never realised, Arnie "crusades" movie and I was wanting to see a non-stop orgy of bloody, graphic battle scenes. To be fair there was a good amount of battle and gore. In fact there were some great pieces. The movie was shot well, scored well and was well acted (a few over the top performances aside). But it still didn't hit the great heights I know it could have. Maybe it could've done with a lot more Liam Neeson (likely, he's great as usual). Perhaps we have been spoiled by the great rousing battle speeches from Henry V and all that follow feel like damp squibs.

I don't know but anyway, for me now, a really good film and I have definitely changed my mind in that respect (sorry Ridley).

Comment

The Omen Trilogy

Dont really know what to make of these in 2012...

As a young lad i used to view these as some of the best horror out there, and i still think they nail it tonally, however its like one predictable macabre accidentally/on purpose killing after the next...film after film, with some convenient exceptions to the rule thrown in purely to make the story work.

The first is still good though and stands out head and shoulders above the rest, but age hasnt really kind to them...unlike the visceral and brilliant exorcist.

Comment

Always preferred Omen 2 over the rest of them for some reason and even the final conflict with Sam Neil is decent stuff

The exorcist for me is just a terrible film that's always been terrible, much like Texas chainsaw massacre

Too much hype over a poor movie

Comment

Originally posted by Finsbury Girl View Post
                      Rise of the Planet of the Apes - got pretty good reviews from you peeps so I was looking forward to this. For me the CGI was amazing, the rest unfortunately was a bit "meh". I don't know why I wasn't more engaged. Perhaps it was too much of a slow burn. The pinacle of planet of the apes for me is still the Simpsons episode "Deep Space Homer".
                      Watched this last night. Ended up really enjoying it and I say that having never really gotten into the original Planet of the Apes films. The plot is pretty ridiculous but I thought they did a decent job of trying to ground the story in some kind of reality. James Franco did a good job of playing the conflicted scientist and I thought the pacing was spot on - the film didn't drag at any point for me at all.

Totally agree about the CGI being utterly amazing - easily the best I've seen in recent years. Favourite part was the nod to the Heston version when

Caesar grabs the guys hand in the enclosure and he shouts "get your god damn hands off me you damn dirt ape!" to which Caesar replies "noooo!"

Overall, really entertaining and I hope the same team get a chance to do another.

Comment

Just finished watching Superman 2. It is so full of win it hurts.

Comment

Got netflix again recently so have watched a right mix of things.

Daybreakers : quite liked this as a Sci-Fi film, not too Vampirey which was good and it did explore a good question. What do vampires eat when they've turned all the humans into vampires?

Videodrome : Cronenberg is a weirdo. I was at an optical trade fair today, I was quite disappointed that nobody burst in with a flesh gun and shot someone.

The Prestige : I'd bd we seen this either, was really cool. Loved the little dab of Sci-Fi too!

Comment

Just finished The Bourne Legacy relatively entertaining but ultimately incredibly pointless. It doesn add anything to the Bourne franchise other than in insight into other shady CIA/US Govt activities but with no pay off at the end. Pure money film made to cash in on the success of the trilogy.

Comment

just watched 11-14 & Batman DKR. both pretty good.

11-14 is a decent character crossing type film, with a 10/15 min back story to a particular event for each character. worth a view

Batman DKR - long.... but a good long in my book, not too fast paced but i liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
                                Just finished The Bourne Legacy relatively entertaining but ultimately incredibly pointless. It doesn add anything to the Bourne franchise other than in insight into other shady CIA/US Govt activities but with no pay off at the end. Pure money film made to cash in on the success of the trilogy.
                                Of course it was, they wanted to make more with Bourne, but Matt Damon refused to do it unless it was Greengrass directing and he was too busy.

Comment

Working...
                                X