Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, those looked good. I guess you gotta decide what generation you want to aim for. If its Ps2 or above then go for a large widescreen with component/vga inputs and possibly 480p. If you want to go older gen than stick to a toshiba, panny or sony RGB scart 4:3 set.

Comment

I got the Sony as its just for my MD & SFC

Comment

I have since found a Bang & Olufsen Beovision 1 locally, are they that much better than the likes of Sony etc?.. I paid a fiver for the Trinitron, this B&O is up for ?150 with best offer, it does look snazzy...

Comment

Not sure if this is the right place to post but here goes, can anyone recommend a VGA cable? I've ordered a Hanzo VGA box for the Dreamcast but I'll need a VGA to connect it to my plasma and Im thinking I'll need a high quality one because its an analogue signal right? Dont want any degradation in quality if I can help it right? Or am I just talking balls?

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
            Not sure if this is the right place to post but here goes, can anyone recommend a VGA cable? I've ordered a Hanzo VGA box for the Dreamcast but I'll need a VGA to connect it to my plasma and Im thinking I'll need a high quality one because its an analogue signal right? Dont want any degradation in quality if I can help it right? Or am I just talking balls?
            Dont think it matters much (as long as its screened properly). I have used the official dc vga box, a HAIS, and currently a cheap ?10 vga cable and they the pic quality is the exact same.

Comment

Over such a short length and at such a low resolution I wouldn't worry.

If you do get any interference worth worrying about, then you'll see it immediately

Comment

Cheers boys, that alleviates my fears for now

Comment

I'd still get a Bluerigger cable for piece of mind. Nice quality affordable cables on Amazon.

Comment

Any of you guys bothered with VGA to HDMI convertor for convenience sake?

Comment

I have Vga to HDMI converter, unfortunately it doesn't support 4:3 or have any aspect ratio control, so no good for Dreamcast output. Image quality and scaling is fine though.

Comment

CAn you not change your aspect ratio from your TV?

Comment

Can anyone reccomend a tv that doesnt crush the darkest blacks with poor gamma? In terms of 2014 models i've been through three sony w705's(2 blacks and then a silver in case of a bad batch), and a samsung ue48h6400.

On HDTVtest and trustedreviews both reviewed really well, and in terms of gamma they all had glowing reviews. Yet all the ones i've tried have had awful gamma curves, more in like with the reviews from digitalversus

Sony's KDL42W705B is an ideal gaming TV that offers deep blacks, lush images & super-low input lag. A must buy if you don't watch 3D.

vs

http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-tele...9304/test.html - this is far more in line wtih what i have experienced, and its virtually the same story with the samsung...only that model had even worse gamma on DV.

Is it possible that HDTVtest only review cherry picked models etc?

Just becoming a rather frustrating experience finding a set with smooth transitions between darker shades, which coming off a virtually perfect Sony w653 is baffling?
                          Last edited by PaTaito; 06-07-2015, 21:10.

Comment

I'm not sure if there is still a panel 'lottery' whereby the same model can have various panel manufacturers and you have to find the best type.

Both of those Sony panels (Samsung too) are edge lit. Would it be better for contrast to look for back-lit panels?

Comment

Originally posted by smouty View Post
                              I'm not sure if there is still a panel 'lottery' whereby the same model can have various panel manufacturers and you have to find the best type.

Both of those Sony panels (Samsung too) are edge lit. Would it be better for contrast to look for back-lit panels?
                              Its not about contrast/backlight though, its a pure gamma issue...the way if arrives from the factory is just wrong, and changing the gamma setting doesn't do one thing to fix the bad curve. In the digital versus reviews the gamma curve shown translates to every sample i've had.

To the point where i just want a good 40-50 inch 1080p set, but don't even know what to buy now because i'm not even certain anything can deliver a proper flat gamma response. I know 2.4 is standard since 2013/14 so its not an issue with that either, its just everything i buy has had a bad curve which is way higher than 2.4 in the darkest shades.

Just want something capable of smooth transition out of black...makes me wonder if manufacturers are doing this intentionally in some naive, phoney way of being able to boast great black level response? Its annoying because these VA panels have superb blacks regardless, and certainly without the need to bend the gamma curve out of shape.

Lyris and gIzzE i'm looking at you guys here!?

Such a pain...wish i was totally green lol.
                              Last edited by PaTaito; 07-07-2015, 13:39.

Comment

i recently aquired a Samsung 27c750 (VA panel) and the ability to adjust the gamma setting over most monitors, (DELL!) is a god send. It is unbelievable the amount of detail you lose with an incorrect gamma setting.

not as glossy or inkey as the Dell s2715, but oodles more detail

Comment

Working...
                                X