Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're watching Despicable Me 2 (standard Blu-ray) at the moment on a Sony UBP-X800 4K player on the OLED so it's being upscaled to 4K and it looks immense.

Turned off all the motion smoothing rubbish so it's pure 24 frame gloriousness.

The TV has pretty much every app you could want for content including NowTV which is a bonus as previously that had to be done via PS4.

It is a great TV.

Comment

Stick with the ISF modes on the C9 and the picture should be pretty accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
        We're watching Despicable Me 2 (standard Blu-ray) at the moment on a Sony UBP-X800 4K player on the OLED so it's being upscaled to 4K and it looks immense.

Turned off all the motion smoothing rubbish so it's pure 24 frame gloriousness.

The TV has pretty much every app you could want for content including NowTV which is a bonus as previously that had to be done via PS4.

It is a great TV.
        Coco, Wreck it Ralf 2 and Paddington 2 all have stunning HDR if you want to watch something that can better take advantage of things

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
          Coco, Wreck it Ralf 2 and Paddington 2 all have stunning HDR if you want to watch something that can better take advantage of things
          Coco looked awesome on Disney+.

Paddington 2 is in need of a rewatch so that'll be next.

Cheers for that.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
            Just keep an eye on it, as said £around 1100 is the lowest they will likely drop to, or just keep a couple of extra hundred aside and grab one of the better models.
            Going back to the b9, seeing lots of reviews saying screen burn in is an issue. Anyone experienced this with the set?

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
              Going back to the b9, seeing lots of reviews saying screen burn in is an issue. Anyone experienced this with the set?
              It is an inherent weakness of OLED sets, they eventually wear out.
              It’s really common with the 2016/2017 models, partly through the age of them now. The newer models introduced additional protection mechanisms and they increased the size of the red pixel, so it won’t wear out as fast

Comment

Could do with some advice on a tv purchase please.

Budget: £450
                Viewing distance: straight on, but only about 7ft away.
                Preferences: 4k, not too bothered about gaming and sports
                Buying from: Richer Sounds or John Lewis, tho’ prefer RS over JL

I’ve read so many reviews from different sources I just keep going round in circles.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Comment

What size of TV are you after?
                  Do you have any 4K sources?
                  Is HDR support important?
                  Do you have a separate sound system?

Comment

A very (VERY) cursory look around would seem to suggest that the Samsung RU7470 might be a good bet:

No John Lewis or Richer Sounds on this one as it's from last year, so stocks must have disappeared now at those retailers. It's £380 or £499 at Curry's for 43" and 55" respectively.

WhatHifi thought highly of it:

What Hi-Fi? Awards 2019 winner. This could be the best budget small TV around right now

Comment

Thanks for the response guys.

Was’nt sure what size was appropriate given the viewing distance that I will have, thought a 50” might be too big?

I have no input source for 4k, tho I have allocated £150, which I know is not a lot of money, but it does get me this, which has had favourable reviews: https://www.richersounds.com/tv-home...-dp-ub150.html

No separate sound system yet. A soundbar at some point in the future, but I‘ll be aiming at the lower end of the market, as you can tell by the budget I’m setting myself.

I’ve somehow convinced myself to stretch my tv budget an extra £100 (don’t tell the wife!) so I’ve seen this, which again has good reviews:

The problem is there is so much to chose from!

Based on my choices there, with the (revised) budget of £700, do those 2 look a decent combo?

Comment

50” will definitely not feel too big to view comfortably at a 7 foot distance - I sit 5 feet away from a 55 inch and it’s just right for me. I have a friend with a 65” set he sits about 7 foot from!

Vincent Teoh at HDTVTest rated the GX800 highly in his review for ExpertReviews, so that would be good enough for me - he’s one of the most credible sources around on this stuff. I think it will be a very good set in terms of picture performance on that basis!

However, it’s worth noting that Panasonic’s App Store isn’t quite as well stocked as Samsung, LG or Sony’s - you’ll get Netflix and Prime Video, but there are no apps for Disney+ or NowTV at present. Of course, this isn’t an issue if you don’t need those apps or if you plan to use them via a game console, Apple TV, Fire Stick etc. If there are any apps you absolutely must have built into TV though, I’d double check that the Panasonic platform has them before purchasing.

The Blu-Ray player you’ve highlighted will do a good job too. Worth asking yourself if you will be bothering to buy or rent many Blu-Rays though? Not trying to discourage you - I literally just bought both a Panasonic TV and Bluray player! - but you will be able to get 4K content right away via the built in Netflix and Prime Video apps. Just a thought. 4K Blu-Ray is excellent but the discs are pricey (I rent most of mine from Cinema Paradiso online, as I can’t be bothered with stumping up £25 for a single film for most stuff). You might be better off putting the £150 for the BR player towards a future sound bar instead.

Just a few thoughts! Hopefully helpful.

Comment

Thanks for the advice wakka.

I’m hoping to order them both tomorrow, or at the very least, the blu-ray player. Just need to get final buy in from the wife for the tv.

As for buying 4k blu-rays, I only intend on buying the films that are in my all time faves list, and at a decent price. One such film, Annihilation, I’ve ordered from Amazon for £9.99, so there are bargains to be had.

Hopefully before Christmas, I’ll add a sound bar to my set-up. I’ll come back to this thread seeking your advice!

Comment

Cool, totally ignore me on Blu-Rays in that case. Just didn’t want you to think it was a ‘must have’ for viewing 4K content as there are a few other options now.

Hope you enjoy the setup, I think they are fantastic choices! It’s prob the exact setup I would buy at that budget I reckon.

A neat side effect of owning both a Panasonic BD player and TV is that you can control the BD player with the TV remote, and vice versa. It’s quite handy!
                            Last edited by wakka; 18-05-2020, 22:42.

Comment

[MENTION=7193]Super Grover[/MENTION] There are lots of places doing 2 for £20 and 2 for £30 on 4K UHD discs at the moment.

Zoom.co.uk are good for £9.99 weekend deals.

HMV regularly have discounts (got Ghost in the SHell for £9.99 and Detective Pikachu for £13.99 as well as the OG Hellboy & A Simple Favour (which looks incredible) for £20 the pair.

Ebay too is great. Lots of bulk stock knocking about. Both Jurassic World films for £7ish from one seller.

Comment

Further to that, as above I can recommend Cinema Paradiso:

Best and cheap DVD Rental by post in the UK. With a catalogue of over 100,000 titles, CinemaParadiso.co.uk is fast DVD Rental service with free postage both ways.

It's an old school rental by post service, like LoveFilm used to be. Their library of films is pretty comprehensive to be honest, I've been a subscriber for years and love it. Rentals are flat rate, so it doesn't cost anything more to get 4K discs than it does DVDs.

If you are feeling generous, you can sign up using my referral link, which will earn me an epic discount of £1.83!

Comment

Working...
                                X