This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
    What apps? My LG has Netflix, Disney, Amazon, UKTV Play, YouTube, Google Movies, Apple TV, BBC iPlayer, All 4, ITV Hub, Chili, Rakuten, Funimation, Twitch, My 5 and she'd loads of others I haven't bothered to download.
    So am I right in thinking the quote in this review is no longer relevant:

"There is a letdown for UK buyers, though: while Now TV and Sky Store are on board, all of the core catch-up apps are missing. That means no BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4 or My5. LG and Freeview Play haven’t partnered together this year as they have done previously, which means it’s down to LG to strike up agreements for these services, which it has so far failed to do. "

Comment

I'd say so.

Here's the link to the LG app site showing all available apps.

Comment

Really like the look of that LG, cheers.

I think I've narrowed it down to 2 options:
        48" LG OLED48CX5LC mounted on a moveable arm bracket in the recess to the left of the fire.
        55" LG OLED55GX6LA mounted on the flush wallmount bracket above the fire.

Now, I don't want you to panic, we very, very rarely use the fire (4 times in about 12 years) and it's electric.
        I'm thinking I can drill a hole in the front of the fireplace to feed all the cables into, then a hole at the side to feed those cables to the router/network/consoles.

It'll look proper Swiss with no cables trailing and the gallery mode will be a nice touch too.

My main concern isn't the fire being on, but the height of the screen as it'll be above the mantelpiece and I'm worried it'll be too high.

Anyone else got their telly above the mantelpiece, higher than your average telly cabinet?

Comment

Nice one.

If it were me, and without actually seeing pictures of your room, I’d without a doubt go with a 48 mounted at eye level than a 55 up high. I really hate when TVs are mounted too high up, it just doesn’t make sense to me at all as a viewing experience.

You could end up on https://www.reddit.com/r/TVTooHigh/ if you’re not careful!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            So am I right in thinking the quote in this review is no longer relevant:
            https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/lg-oled55cx
            Yes.

Taken from an LG55CX a few moments ago ...

They're bloody heavy sets too, despite being only about 6mm thick.
            Last edited by MartyG; 23-02-2021, 17:12.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
              Nice one.

If it were me, and without actually seeing pictures of your room, I’d without a doubt go with a 48 mounted at eye level than a 55 up high. I really hate when TVs are mounted too high up, it just doesn’t make sense to me at all as a viewing experience.
              This is exactly what I'm wrestling with. I think I'm just being greedy and trying to get the biggest size possible, when a more comfortable viewing experience would be the better option.

You could end up on https://www.reddit.com/r/TVTooHigh/ if you’re not careful!
              Ooof! I wouldn't just sit it on the mantelpiece though, I promise!

Comment

TBH if it’s on an arm (which I think is a good idea) couldn’t you just have a 55 that sits in front of the alcove rather than within it? Not sure if that would work without seeing the space but something to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  This is exactly what I'm wrestling with. I think I'm just being greedy and trying to get the biggest size possible, when a more comfortable viewing experience would be the better option.

Ooof! I wouldn't just sit it on the mantelpiece though, I promise!
                  Would you not have any consoles connected up to it though? I wall mounted above a fireplace in my old flat but then ended up taking out the fireplace and having shelving built in for my wii and xbox 360. I much prefer having on a stand in new place because I found it a little too high. I'll try and dig out a photo for reference.

Comment

Originally posted by Stakers View Post
                    Would you not have any consoles connected up to it though? I wall mounted above a fireplace in my old flat but then ended up taking out the fireplace and having shelving built in for my wii and xbox 360. I much prefer having on a stand in new place because I found it a little too high. I'll try and dig out a photo for reference.
                    Probably just the Xbox One, TiVo, network and power. Hope the arm doesn't get too messy.

Realistically, I'm being a Greedy Gus trying to have the biggest screen I can get, when I really should be getting the 48" and putting it on an arm in the alcove at a neck-friendly height.

I'll be going from a 37" to a 48", but I want MOOAARR!

I think I'm going to get the LG OLED48CX5LC, based on everyone's suggestions.
                    Last edited by QualityChimp; 24-02-2021, 14:33.

Comment

I've found the photo but I've got no idea how to post it. Oh well, its a photo of a TV on a wall. So where will you put your machines then?

Comment

Originally posted by Stakers View Post
                        I've found the photo but I've got no idea how to post it. Oh well, its a photo of a TV on a wall. So where will you put your machines then?
                        Ha!

Basically, the new telly will be on an arm over a telly cabinet that currently has the plasma on a stand.
                        There are spaces in the cabinet where the devices sit.

the cables will trail down to it, but hopefully won't be too noticeable.

If I went the Chimney Breast route, I'd be drilling holes all over the shop.

Comment

Ah I see, very nice. Good luck with it, hopefully you'll do better than me and figure out how to post photos once it's up and running!

Comment

Cheers mate. Appreciate your responses.

I use either imgbb to host the images or post on Twitter and just link to that!

Comment

I think the TV arm should have some cable management built in QC. Sounds like a good plan!

Comment

I think the TV arm should have some cable management built in QC. Sounds like a good plan!
                                I'm lead to believe there is in-built cable management...

Comment

Working...
                                X