User Tag List

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930
    Could anybody recommend a 32-40 inch telly for the bedroom? Looking to spend about 300, it won’t be used for gaming just Sky, Netflix etc. Must be a smart tv.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
    Same here.

My OLED is in a south facing room with 7m of glass on that side. No problem at all with light output.

The Panny domestic plasmas were dim, their commercial range went much brighter, same with Kuros, they were dim out of the box, but you could make them brighter in the service menu.

OLED can be driven quite hard and will go plenty bright enough, the mistake many make, including many of the calibrators, is they keep the OLED backlight (drive) around 30-35 for night and 45 for day, and then crank the contrast up.
    Better to stick OLED backlight on 95 and set contrast to 65 for day and 50 for night if you find it too bright.

This give a better dynamic range for one, and also reduces the limiter, so if you have a screen full of white, like snow, you don't get it dimming.

I have mentioned it numerous times on the av forums, but not many try it, you can still calibrate the set the same, just so much better overall.
    It’s going to depend on the content, HDR is handled entirely differently. Changing settings won’t help improve the dynamic range beyond the physical limitations of the technology.
    From my research’, the LG displays are particularly difficult to calibrate in HDR , as they have non defeatable tone mapping when no metadata is supplied, which is the default for HDR Pattern generators, streaming services and videogames.

There is no doubt at all that for SDR content that OLED is the way to go.
    Last edited by EvilBoris; 15-07-2018 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dvdx2 View Post
    Lovely - I bet last gen stuff looks wonderful!
    Yeah its wonderful you can tell my mrs had a look and questioned why we dont have it as our main TV (GT50 currently). On longer inspection it is a fair bit softer and xbox one x looks last gen heh. But for bluray and dvd its a dream, so natural.

Quote Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
    Same here.

My OLED is in a south facing room with 7m of glass on that side. No problem at all with light output.

The Panny domestic plasmas were dim, their commercial range went much brighter, same with Kuros, they were dim out of the box, but you could make them brighter in the service menu.

OLED can be driven quite hard and will go plenty bright enough, the mistake many make, including many of the calibrators, is they keep the OLED backlight (drive) around 30-35 for night and 45 for day, and then crank the contrast up.
    Better to stick OLED backlight on 95 and set contrast to 65 for day and 50 for night if you find it too bright.

This give a better dynamic range for one, and also reduces the limiter, so if you have a screen full of white, like snow, you don't get it dimming.

I have mentioned it numerous times on the av forums, but not many try it, you can still calibrate the set the same, just so much better overall.
    Thanks giz. Steve bumtious kemp is calibration king and he's said some really interesting things about calibration. Nice to see you again. Avf is a bit of a weird place overrun with the mod police these days.
    Last edited by ozzzy189; 16-07-2018 at 09:08 PM.