Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soooo the power issue with the TV is getting worse I've called a friend of my parents who's a techy & hoping he can see if it's savable but I have started looking just in case.

I have just started reading up on this HDR lark & it's all a bit more confusing now.
    Is there a list of current sets that support it or is this still something due to come in properly in the next few months?
    I just want to try & see what options there are as ideally I want to future proof as far as I can as I won't be upgrading again anytime soon (this current set will be 6 years old in July as an example of how often I change) & if I can get by with the fix on this set then waiting for a HDR compatible one would be preferable.

Thanks again for any advice

Neil

Comment

Take the back cover off of the TV and have a look for the PSU. There will likely be some obvious sign of damage maybe swollen capacitors or black marks on the board around an iffy component. A replacement part won't cost much at all. Modern TV's are usually easy to fix unless it is the panel itself.

The new UltraHD and HDR stuff looks like it will offer the greatest improvement in TV pictures we have seen for a long time. The HDR aspect in particular. The UHD Alliance is going to be certifying TVs that meet the criteria for proper UHD, including HDR, playback. There seems to be two main standards at present with HDR10 being the baseline and best supported. Dolby Vision seems to be getting plenty of traction too but it appears the chipsets for UHD Blu-ray players aren't quite ready yet.
      Getting an UHD Alliance Premium certified TV is a good bet with regards to future proofing. All of the 2016 model LG OLED Tvs will carry this certification and all appear to have the same panel and image quality.

I fancy buying an OLED later this year but will wait to see how these newer TVs fair with regards to input lag and see who ships a UHD BD player with HDR10 and Dolby Vision support.

Probably the biggest downside to moving to UHD is the lack of stuff to watch in UHD let alone with HDR. I don't use any streaming sites and Virgin Media seem to be keeping quiet about their UHD plans.

Comment

Ordered a 2017 UHD Samsung. What should I do with the standard settings and any games for PS4 that are worth looking at?

Comment

For the picture settings select cinema, movie or equivalent and turn off all additional processing. You might think things look a little bit yellow initially but stick with it. If there is a gaming setting turn that on too.
          I guess you have a 4Pro but even that doesn't really have many 4k games. Rez does look tremendous in 4k though and you'll get some benefit from any HDR compatible games too. Titanfall 2 looks lush on an UHD display.

Comment

Thanks mate, got GT Sport to try, Destiny 2 but no HDR on that I think.
            Good shout on the processing.

Comment

Not normally a fan of new TV's as the image they put out just don't gel with me, I find it a bit jarring. Was just looking at a Sony KD55A1 set today though and I seriously loved the picture. Does anyone have one of these and can give opinions on it?

Comment

Think Sony’s just replaced the A1, so might be a good time to get one.

I have last years LG oled and I love it.

Pretty sure Super Monkey Balls has an A1

Comment

We need a new Tv, and i think i might go for this one:

Buy Sony Bravia KD65XF8505 LED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart Android TV, 65" with Freeview HD & Youview, Black from our View All TVs range at John Lewis & Partners. Free Delivery on orders over £50.

Anyone know anything about it, is it good for the money and does the HDR thing well - will be using it with a Pro and maybe/probably an X?

Comment

Quick question folks. My eight year old TV had a line of pixels die last night, so i've given in today and bought a UHD 4k TV doofer. Now, just tried to update the video output on my PS4 but it's saying the TV doesn't support HDR, which it does????

Comment

Is it an LG? You have to turn HDR on in the settings if so. LG and PS4 are not friends.
                      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

It's a Samsung.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                          It's a Samsung.

Go to picture settings, expert settings, then HDMI UHD color. You need to enable it per HDMI port.

I dunno why it's not just enabled by default

Comment

Originally posted by Pavey View Post
                            We need a new Tv, and i think i might go for this one:

Buy Sony Bravia KD65XF8505 LED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart Android TV, 65" with Freeview HD & Youview, Black from our View All TVs range at John Lewis & Partners. Free Delivery on orders over £50.

Anyone know anything about it, is it good for the money and does the HDR thing well - will be using it with a Pro and maybe/probably an X?
                            They are really solid sets, the only real critisicm is that the Android interface is slow and the HDR is a long way off from the premium sets.

It's been replaced with the XF90 series, which packs a lot more punch.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                              Go to picture settings, expert settings, then HDMI UHD color. You need to enable it per HDMI port.

I dunno why it's not just enabled by default
                              I've enabled that but it's still saying no support for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                                I've enabled that but it's still saying no support for some reason.
                                Could it be your HDMI cable?

The vast bulk of HDMI cables support 4k/HDR, but if you have a very old and cheap one, it may not. You just need a new and cheap one (don't ever buy expensive HDMI cables unless they're for a device that you plug/unplug a great deal, where build quality matters).

Comment

Working...
                                X