X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey! Mine lets me switch Gamma between PC and Mac. lol

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
      i recently aquired a Samsung 27c750 (VA panel) and the ability to adjust the gamma setting over most monitors, (DELL!) is a god send. It is unbelievable the amount of detail you lose with an incorrect gamma setting.

not as glossy or inkey as the Dell s2715, but oodles more detail
      Yep, but the fact most proper tv's have a fixed(and far from linear in my recent experience) gamma curve is annoying as hell. Because even though they give you controls to adjust it to some degree, if the curve doesn't change the problem remains whatever setting you chose.

I am actually considering a 32"+ pc monitor instead as they seem to at least have linear gamma from the many reviews i've seen recently.

It's awful when you want to relax with a film or a game, and you are constantly distracted by this issue...i think its a pretty piss poor situation considering its 2015 tbh.
      Last edited by PaTaito; 07-07-2015, 23:55.

Comment

Hey guys,

I think I may need a new tellybox

The Panny G20 has started a very odd thing of turning itself off & on again at random times.
        It did it 4 times yesterday which is the most in a day but it is almost at least once a day for over a week now.

the 5 year warranty expired in May (obviously) so trying to get it repaired may be expensive.

Now I've been perusing & there are a lot of options but the one I'm looking at the most is Panny's CX700 series as it's 4K & 3D which is quite interesting to me & it seemed to get reasonable reviews

But I'm not sure what else I should shortlist.

Budget will be around ?1k absolute max & 50" will be preferred and if I'm getting 3D I want Active (with Shutter glasses not the awful Cinema stuff that I just can't get to work)

Has anyone got a curved set yet?
        Are these still a passing fad or do they really make a noticeable difference?

The only issue with any of this upgrade will mean I will need to replace my AV Amp as it's not 4K or 3D ready but that's a small issue if I'm honest.

Anyway thanks for any advice

Neil

Comment

Things to consider:

1) Not a problem on all, but most curved screens require you to sit dead centre for decent viewing angles

2) What 4K content are you going to watch - do you have good enough broadband for full 4k streams, or intend to buy 4k bluray player? I dont know that the broadcast 4K standard has been set so may have to rely on set top boxes in the future - not a problem if Sky or Virgin subscriber I imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
            Things to consider:

1) Not a problem on all, but most curved screens require you to sit dead centre for decent viewing angles

2) What 4K content are you going to watch - do you have good enough broadband for full 4k streams, or intend to buy 4k bluray player? I dont know that the broadcast 4K standard has been set so may have to rely on set top boxes in the future - not a problem if Sky or Virgin subscriber I imagine.
            I'm not too bad with the Seating Position Currently but when we move that could be a problem so possibly best to not worry about Curved for the foreseeable.

4K will be purchased content only.
            I don't stream & never want too, have no interest in it
            That leads me to something else...I may have made it up but did I read that the PS4 will be able to do 4K?

Thanks for the input anyway buddy

Comment

Sounds like your TV has some dodgy caps on the power supply, probably. ?10 fix or a new TV?

Comment

PS4 wont be able to play 4K games thats for sure unless they update the hardware, it would perhaps only be able to stream 4K movie content, if at all.

I would say also that 4K LCD will be lame compared to your Plasma, sure the resolution will be sharp but imo its better to go for 1080p OLED for pure quality or wait for better quality and cheaper 4K OLED displays, unless you can afford the top end ones out now that Samsung & LG have out - Panasonics are due later this year.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                  Sounds like your TV has some dodgy caps on the power supply, probably. ?10 fix or a new TV?
                  Shhhh don't tell the other half...this is my chance to finally jump up from the pony 42" set to something bigger lol

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                  PS4 wont be able to play 4K games thats for sure unless they update the hardware, it would perhaps only be able to stream 4K movie content, if at all.

I would say also that 4K LCD will be lame compared to your Plasma, sure the resolution will be sharp but imo its better to go for 1080p OLED for pure quality or wait for better quality and cheaper 4K OLED displays, unless you can afford the top end ones out now that Samsung & LG have out - Panasonics are due later this year.
                  No problems 4K & 3D aren't really deal breakers just from what I read the 700 series Panny was getting some good reviews.
                  That said though the outgoing Sony 809W might still be worth a look as I'd had my eye on that for a while.

I think some proper reading will be needed over the next few days to see exactly whats about.

Neil

Comment

I had been hunting down a Sony Bravia KDL-42w706b with no luck until I checked my local, scabby Argos. They had one in stock!

The PS4 looks amazing through it as does blu ray but everything <1080p does not look as natural as my trusty old Panasonic plasma 37x10. I will be sad to see it go as older games look great on it.

Does anyone think it's worth trying to sell a 37" Panny 1080i plasma?

Comment

I gave my 1024x768 42" plasma monitor to a friend.... I doubt it's worth anything.

Comment

If you can get a cheap fix for the power supply as Speedy suggests, I would wait. I use a 50" 2012 UT50 series Panasonic plasma and while the image in low light/darkness is beautifully rich, natural and sharp (particularly using True Cinema mode with BRs), the set has issues with reflectivity in daytime viewing on sunny days.

For that reason I'd like to upgrade - but it just isn't worth it right now in my view. We're right on the cusp of OLED becoming truly affordable for the average joe, which is the real next generation. Currently 1080p OLED sets are around ?1800, a little rich for my blood. There's no way I'd downgrade to an LCD though as I know it would be a disappointing trade-off just to get better performance in daylight (which is maybe only 20% of my usage anyway).

With Panasonic rumoured to be launching their consumer OLED line at IFA this year and LG's 4K OLEDs already on the market (currently ?3800 for 55"), exciting things are happening. I would give it another 12 - 24 months and I think OLED technology will have further matured and prices will have fallen.

4K is meh at the moment as there still isn't any content, other than a bit of stuff on Netflix which will be heavily compressed anyway. Even once the discs and players are out it'll still probably represent a fraction of your viewing realistically.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                          4K is meh at the moment as there still isn't any content, other than a bit of stuff on Netflix which will be heavily compressed anyway
                          And BT sport.

Comment

Hopefully panny oleds will be worth waiting for, prices will sting for another year at least though.

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
                              Hopefully panny oleds will be worth waiting for, prices will sting for another year at least though.
                              I reckon the price will still be high for at least 2 years from now, especially in the 46"+ sizes. That's why I chose to have the 'Sony LED stop gap' TV until then.

Comment

Originally posted by smouty View Post
                                And BT sport.
                                Ah fair enough, I wouldn't know about that as I don't watch any sports

Agreed with bash and Press Start that prices will be high for a while yet on the OLED 4K models. It will be interesting to see whether they produce further 1080p sets to occupy the low end on OLED, or keep it the preserve of the high end with 4K only.

Really can't wait to get an OLED set myself. It's going to be very interesting at the end of this year when the 4K BR players and discs finally drop, to see what the initial reviews are like of those. I'm also curious to see how full the release schedules for 4K discs will be, and what films are initially chosen.

One thought of mine is we will see an initial glut of classics that have already had recently had restorations, like the Godfather trilogy. They probably restored them in 4K and then just downsampled them for the recent-ish Blurays.

Comment

Working...
                                X