No announcement yet.

The car thread 2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny thing is Phil, I've had faster cars but this thing puts its speed down in a metal way, it's effortless. I like the fact that it's discreet, it's the only one of the modern hot hatches that is in my opinion. My brief was to get something that could comfortably seat four yet still have a bit of oomph and it certainly has that. (Though my wife would've preferred I bought a five door, I prefer the three door shape) The fact I got a great deal on it didn't hurt either, seemed to be one of the best price MK7.5 17 plates in the UK!

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
      https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...hed-say-police

The recent Uber self drive car death has had an updated report highlighting that the cars safety driver was streaming The Voice on their phone when the car killed the homeless bystander.

It's a bit of a mixed response really. There's the issue that the safety driver wasn't paying due attention so carries responsibility, but the counter side is that it'd be naïve to expect to introduce self driving cars and the expect the driver to be vigilant. This exact scenario is exactly what's going to happen in the many millions when they go mass market so it boils ultimately down to the same issue, why didn't the car see the civilian?
      That report showed Uber had disabled the emergency braking system in the Volvo

Why would they do that?

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
        So picked up the Golf R this morning. Ok, it's not my usual type of thing, but having just taken it up a bunch of B-roads I think it'll be quite an enjoyable little car to own.

And I won't deny it, I like some of the fancy tech it has, especially the virtual cockpit thingumabob.

The kill counter next to the wheel is a bit much though!

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
          The kill counter next to the wheel is a bit much though!
          It’s for how many spoilers fall off chav cars as your going past them.

Comment

Also cracking choice Colin, lovely sleeper

Comment

Shame I can’t drive it today as we were at a 60th birthday party last night and I’m a bit rippled. Going to go over to the garage and give it the full Gtechniq treatment though, sadly I’m one of those weirdos who loves polishing a car when he buys one.

Comment

So I had yet another run in the R today. Man it flatters you as a driver, it has so much grip due to its drive system I'm not really sure in real world driving how far you'd have to push it for it to get bent out of shape. You can literally just throw it in to any bend and you'll be left feeling you could've went in quicker. Which ultimately might be a negative, but it's certainly fun in a different way from what I've always found my preference with Lotus and Aston Martin. The fact I can carry four people in comfort in it, it's as discreet as any everyday hatchback and cheap to run in comparison to my usual fun cars just makes it even more amusing.

Ex mod Neil from the site also has one at the moment and is running on a stage 1 remap which is giving him 370bhp and a 0-60 of around 3.7s. How with hell have we reached a point where a family hatchback could shame supercars from only a few years ago? Mental.

Comment

Saw a lovely Mk2 today. Tasteful alloys. A little low. Pristine in and out.

Comment

So I had yet another run in the R today. Man it flatters you as a driver, it has so much grip due to its drive system I'm not really sure in real world driving how far you'd have to push it for it to get bent out of shape. You can literally just throw it in to any bend and you'll be left feeling you could've went in quicker. Which ultimately might be a negative, but it's certainly fun in a different way from what I've always found my preference with Lotus and Aston Martin. The fact I can carry four people in comfort in it, it's as discreet as any everyday hatchback and cheap to run in comparison to my usual fun cars just makes it even more amusing.

Ex mod Neil from the site also has one at the moment and is running on a stage 1 remap which is giving him 370bhp and a 0-60 of around 3.7s. How with hell have we reached a point where a family hatchback could shame supercars from only a few years ago? Mental.
                    Careful with running silly power through those DSG boxes. Volkswagen do NOT sell parts for them forcing you to go for an entire new box at silly money. Also voids the warranty as someone who dropped theirs into the mechanic in front of me found out recently.

The Volkswagen dealerships can see EVERYTHING on their ecu’s history, even if you change the map back they know you’ve made alterations.

Comment

It’s faster than my Aston as is, I doubt I’ll need to mess with it. The comment was more regarding the pace cars have developed at.

Comment

You mention that but it just makes me think of the performance of the Tesla Roadster. 0 to 60 in 1.9 second... Faster than a supercharged Ford RS200.

Sorta takes the fun out of it when I think about it like that. Hard to even accept Tesla as cars...

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                          You mention that but it just makes me think of the performance of the Tesla Roadster. 0 to 60 in 1.9 second... Faster than a supercharged Ford RS200.

Sorta takes the fun out of it when I think about it like that. Hard to even accept Tesla as cars...
                          Current king of the drag strip is a Tesla round where I am. It’s annihilated EVERYTHING that’s gone up against it, 800bhp Dodge Charger, 700bhp skyline, loads of scoobys and evos running over 600bhp. Doesn’t matter how much raw power they have they just can’t get it to wheel and keep grip fast enough compared to the Tesla.

Quite funny to see it almost teleport ahead of other cars.
                          Last edited by fishbowlhead; 25-06-2018, 12:32.

Comment

I guess it just has a more linear power delivery curve than a traditional combustion engine, pretty mad though.

Comment

It’s faster than my Aston as is, I doubt I’ll need to mess with it. The comment was more regarding the pace cars have developed at.
                              Ah right year fair enough I follow. The pace has been a pretty furious. You’ve now got the new civic type-r reliably putting down over 300bhp through just the front 2 wheels. Not to mention all the other hot hatches that are even faster like the focus rs, golf r etc.

Comment

And I won't deny it, I like some of the fancy tech it has, especially the virtual cockpit thingumabob.
                                Upon which it would seem with the right button combo you can unlock Rescue on Fractalus!

Comment

Working...
                                X