No announcement yet.

The car thread 2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me I love British cars, and I get a kick seeing somehting with made in the UK on. I looked at all kinds of cars and makes but stumbled on the Disco 3 by chance.

It ticked a lot of boxes for me, it’s got a diesel powered heater so good for short trips, I can get my C5 in the back once it’s up and running. Also my daily commute involves back country roads, which these days are prone to flooding and bad weather.

And it was in my price range

Last edited by vanpeebles; 18-03-2018, 07:06.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
      I fully read up on them first, part costs etc. I do all my own mechanicals so I’ll be ok in that respect

Dealer prices? No way!

You might not be aware that there’s certain things you can’t do outside a dealership. Certain areas of the electronics and diagnostics can’t be done without their computers as the ecu won’t comply with anything at all apart from the dealership scanners.

My old mans had had the heater matrix go on his. We have a decent mechanic in the factory opposite, he couldn’t find what was wrong at all after god knows how many attempts, just had no chance of fixing it as it turned out to be a few enclosed electrical components you wouldn’t even know exist, dealership diagnostic machine found it in mins.

So just bare that in mind.
      Last edited by fishbowlhead; 18-03-2018, 07:58.

Comment

You can get dedicated tools for home now that can flash the ECU and all kinds. That part of the tools market has come on leaps and bounds. I’ll be getting one as I need to enable the 4x4 info display and also set it for a reversing camera

Comment

You can get dedicated tools for home now that can flash the ECU and all kinds. That part of the tools market has come on leaps and bounds. I’ll be getting one as I need to enable the 4x4 info display and also set it for a reversing camera
          The dealership mechanic confirmed to my old man that certain parts of the car and it’s electronics are blocked from being seen by aftermarket scanners. When he told the mechanic this in front of us he borrowed his pals latest scanner (this guy maps performance cars) and when plugged in low and behold, the part that was replaced at the dealership did not and would not show up on the scanner at all no matter what they did.

Edit. I’m not trying to s**t on your parade by the way. They are fantastic cars and a pleasure to be in, my old man loves it.

Just if you start getting intermittent electrical faults, take it to a dealership for a diagnostic, you can then go away and fix yourself once you know where the problem lies.
          Last edited by fishbowlhead; 18-03-2018, 08:32.

Comment

I’ll see how I get on, fingers crossed Just been out for a drive to get used to it a bit more, great fun going along the back roads in a blizzard.

Comment

I’ll see how I get on, fingers crossed Just been out for a drive to get used to it a bit more, great fun going along the back roads in a blizzard.
              Nice .

One of my favourite things about those cars is the air con in summer, F**K me it’s like being in a blizzard, it’s amazing!

Comment

It’s a very different pace of driving compared to a car, it’s scary in that it doesn’t feel like it’s nearly 3 ton.

Comment

I’ve driven my dads round the ind est a few times for errands and picking up heavy objects to big for my Subaru, he has an auto.

It’s so compliant and smooth it’s a dream to drive. Never would you guess it weighs 3.1ton, it’s rediculous.

Comment

New Supra

Comment

Just took a A45 AMG out for a test drive. Holy crap. 376bhp, to 60 in under 5...

Just looking at figures now...

Comment

Are they the ones that are £45k retail new, which I think for something that size is horrendously overpriced?
                        But I am looking at it with my sensible head on.

Comment

Yes. Hence me looking at a 2014 model!
                          It drives quite nicely through normal roads, like a slightly noisier version of my current c class but with heavier steering. When you put your foot down though it's pretty amazing. Feels well in control, no torque steering for example.

I intend to try a Golf R as well. But not a Focus RS as they're too boy racer. And not a type R because have you seen them!? Ugh.

Comment

Test driving a Tesla Model X in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Cool! With the idea of buying one or just being nosey?

Ok so I can get a golf r on a 17 plate with a few thousand on the clock for the same price as a 3b year old 45 with 30k on it. This is a heart Vs head moment. Can't test the golf til next Friday though so time to think things over. Anything similar I should look at?

Comment

Loved my Golf R, it did everything I want in a car, fast, lots of room, comfy, fairly understated. It was even quite economical when you're behaving. Would definitely have another if the emissions were lower, work policy means co2 has to be under 130 grams.

Comment

Working...
                                X