No announcement yet.

The car thread 2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went out for a super early drive today decided to head down to the Roseland headland part of Cornwall is great there with the nice roads and corners. Anyway after going along i was getting close to the sea front village and decided to turn around before reaching it because no point just crawling through it to turn around anyway. It was around then that a sparkling new Ferrari went past me heading back the way id came... I thought sod it, quickly turned around and went after it.

Kept a respective 3 car distance but wouldn't let him pull away. I didn't want to overtake and decided to take a more psychological approach, if he felt hunted by my presence then i could put a check against him and if i felt uncomfortable or inadequate or such chasing then i would be me who was failing.
    At the start I was saying from behind my wheel "go go, push! Show me what you can do!" but he didn't speed away, he kept a calm speed despite my playful pressure and when some areas of fast cornering and straights gave him the option to put the pedal down I followed and kept up, i guess we both felt comfortable in ourselves and car and that was enough to call it a positive experience for each of us. At least that's the feelings i got/received.
    It was fun, no illegal speeds but it wasn't really about that, more a conversation between each other using our vehicles. Perhaps that's what people competing on the track feel like. I've never really been interesting in calling myself fast, or having some kind of want or need to achieve when driving especially against others, its more about the emotion and mind.

As we reached the main roads back to the city he turned one way and I another, I flashed my lights and he gave me a big thumbs up and wave with his arm out the window, i returned the gesture and continued on my way.

Have to say I felt really pumped afterwards like id just been super psyched hah.

Comment

I thought maybe when we decided to have a shake up of our cars we'd maybe end up with something really different. As I'd posted recently, I went with a Golf R for myself, and we've finally just bought my wife's replacement today as well. A Golf. I guess she just really liked the one I bought.
      Last edited by Colin; 05-08-2018, 19:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
        I thought maybe when we decided to have a shake up of our cars we'd maybe end up with something really different. As I'd posted recently, I went with a Golf R for myself, and we've finally just bought my wife replacement today as well. A Golf. I guess she just really liked the one I bought.
        Nice. How you getting on with the GolfR Colin? See a few around and there certainly lovely looking cars that are great sleepers, they hardly make a sound too until you floor them.

On another note I went up to Bangor in wales a few weeks ago, aside from the rubbish 6 hour motorway drive up, I really had some serious fun on all the county and mountain roads in the scooby, you really get a sense that’s where it belongs screaming up a lush mountain road where it just settles into a grippy blissful run up and around bends.

Great stuff, not so much for my pocket and the fuel gage but brilliant fun.

Comment

So picked up the Golf R this morning. Ok, it's not my usual type of thing, but having just taken it up a bunch of B-roads I think it'll be quite an enjoyable little car to own.

And I won't deny it, I like some of the fancy tech it has, especially the virtual cockpit thingumabob.

Very nice Colin.

Been looking at these myself lately & GTI's but not new ('15 / '16 models)
          The Mazda has to go back soon for the PCP & I just don't want another one...new models are so bland with no power so looking further afield & something fun again (did look at S3 too but the premium over the R just doesn't seem worth it)

How are you finding it day to day?

Neil

Comment

I'll be honest, it took a bit for it to win me over, but I genuinely love it now. When it comes to fast cars I've always been a manual box man, so it's taken a while to figure out how to best use the DSG. Don't get me wrong, on an out and out sportscar I'd still only ever go manual, but on a dual personality car like this, the DSG is great. It can be surprisingly fast at times, drop it down a few gears to go for an overtake and go heavy on the pedal and it quickly turns in to a "****ing hell!" moment.

It seems pretty well put together, as I said my wife was impressed enough to go buy a Golf too, she picks her one up tomorrow -

Comment

Drove an Aston Martin Rapide today, and a Vantage last week. Valeting cars is fun.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                Drove an Aston Martin Rapide today, and a Vantage last week. Valeting cars is fun.
                This has always baffled me. If I owned an Aston, or any other fast expensive motor, absolutely no way am I leaving that either with a valet, or parking at an airport, you know the type I mean.

Comment

I'm going to start cleaning my cars myself because the local place has closed down.

I've got a pressure washer and I'm going to get a foamer bottle, but there's a ridiculous number of steps you can follow.

Anyone got any tips for products they've found to be good like snow foam, citrus wash, shampoo and wax?

Currently looking at the Auto Glanz stuff, but loads of others like Meguire's and Zymol, so I'm a but overwhelmed!

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                    This has always baffled me. If I owned an Aston, or any other fast expensive motor, absolutely no way am I leaving that either with a valet, or parking at an airport, you know the type I mean.
                    There was an orange Lambo parked in the driveway most of the afternoon.
                    I still don't see the need. I'm not jealous of the car at all but having that kind of cash would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      I'm going to start cleaning my cars myself because the local place has closed down.

I've got a pressure washer and I'm going to get a foamer bottle, but there's a ridiculous number of steps you can follow.

Anyone got any tips for products they've found to be good like snow foam, citrus wash, shampoo and wax?

Currently looking at the Auto Glanz stuff, but loads of others like Meguire's and Zymol, so I'm a but overwhelmed!
                      I picked up a generic foam bottle from eBay which works fine. I get the solution from a local car wash owned by a mate so I’m not sure which brand it is. Smells kind of fruity.
                      I only really use the lance for a quick clean or a pre-wash if the car is really dirty. If you clay your car and keep it polished the lance is ideal. How’s the drainage where you wash the car?

Comment

I would recommend using G-Techniq C2 V3 after you wash your car. Just spray and buff up, you'll find after you have that your car will wash up very easy for the next six months, then reapply.

Comment

Thanks for the tip I’ll give that a try. Is that something I would likely be able to buy at Halfords?

Comment

I usually but it from Amazon Craig, it's about £18. It's especially good on metallics.

Comment

For paint sealant, I was looking at this:

Comment

I'll be honest, it took a bit for it to win me over, but I genuinely love it now. When it comes to fast cars I've always been a manual box man, so it's taken a while to figure out how to best use the DSG. Don't get me wrong, on an out and out sportscar I'd still only ever go manual, but on a dual personality car like this, the DSG is great. It can be surprisingly fast at times, drop it down a few gears to go for an overtake and go heavy on the pedal and it quickly turns in to a "****ing hell!" moment.

It seems pretty well put together, as I said my wife was impressed enough to go buy a Golf too, she picks her one up tomorrow -

Thanks Colin, sounds right up my street
                                Sadly think the R might just be out of budget but a GTi might be more achieveable

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

Been looking at starting to do this myself now that we have the house & an outside tap
                                Was never an option in the flat obviously
                                Definitely a lot of options out there & much more serious than when I last cleaned my car at home back in 2003 (yes been using the local grubby cleaning hovels since then)

Neil

Comment

Working...
                                X