No announcement yet.

The car thread 2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right, I'm a bit drunk at the moment so I hope this makes sense. I've seen on here that many of you guys own nice Audis or BMWs and so on. I take it some of these cars have paddle shift gears. What I'm trying to ask is how are they to live with? You see, I loath automatics and love manual cars. Yesterday I was down at Subaru getting my timing belt changed. While there I was checking out the new Forester and Impreza. I quite like both but they only came with paddle shift gear boxes. I asked if there was a manual for the Impreza to which I was told yes, but only a 1.6 with 110bhp or the STi model when they release it. I won't be able to afford the STi I think and no way am I having a ****ty 110bhp car. So if I went for the new Impreza I'll be stuck with a paddle shift. I'm also thinking about the new Forester but again paddle shift.

Can a guy who loves manual live with a paddle shift gear box? I mean, you still have to change gear yourself, right? Just without a clutch. I have driven the last impreza with a paddle shift but only for a day. It was ok but my left hand was always reaching for the gear stick and my left leg felt, well..... un-needed.

Comment

I had a tiptronic gearbox in my 911, was nice for when I was driving around the city or motorway, but when I went home to Scotland for weekends it was lacking any real involvement on the B-roads. Personally I'd avoid one of any type in preference of a manual. (Which is why i'm back driving a manual 420bhp V8 beast!)

Comment

I have a twin clutch gearbox in the vRS and I find for daily use it is excellent. Gear changes are very quick and smooth better than I could do with a manual. In town it is very relaxing leaving it in D and letting it take care of things for you.
        This time last year I would have said I still prefer a manual for a good back road blast but now I'm not sure. Stick the box in S and it does a good job of letting you use the whole rev range and holding a gear through bends. You can concentrate on the road letting it up shift as you get to the limiter. It even downshifts when you get on the brakes keeping the revs up and well into the power band.

I do use the manual shift for overtakes when required as I feel the kickdown isn't quite quick enough. I use the stick for the touring car effect and you can just knock it back into D as soon as the maneuver is finished. Doing the same with the paddles means waiting for the box to decide you are finished do things yourself.

I would maybe use the paddles more if they had a more positive feel to them. Feels a bit too video game steering wheel for my tastes.

What kind of transmission is on the Subaru? Is it a manually overridden auto box or a robotised manual?

Comment

I've got a DSG gearbox in mine, I love it. Even on crazy windy roads it just allows you to hold onto the wheel tighter and throw yourselves around corners. Love it.

I never even got the paddles and I honestly don't think I'd use them anyway, I can probably count the times on one hand where I have actually switched to manual in the 50k miles I've clock in the last 12 months,
          I find it quite inconvenient when I get given a Manual courtesy car or hire care by comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
            Right, I'm a bit drunk at the moment so I hope this makes sense. I've seen on here that many of you guys own nice Audis or BMWs and so on. I take it some of these cars have paddle shift gears. What I'm trying to ask is how are they to live with? You see, I loath automatics and love manual cars. Yesterday I was down at Subaru getting my timing belt changed. While there I was checking out the new Forester and Impreza. I quite like both but they only came with paddle shift gear boxes. I asked if there was a manual for the Impreza to which I was told yes, but only a 1.6 with 110bhp or the STi model when they release it. I won't be able to afford the STi I think and no way am I having a ****ty 110bhp car. So if I went for the new Impreza I'll be stuck with a paddle shift. I'm also thinking about the new Forester but again paddle shift.

Can a guy who loves manual live with a paddle shift gear box? I mean, you still have to change gear yourself, right? Just without a clutch. I have driven the last impreza with a paddle shift but only for a day. It was ok but my left hand was always reaching for the gear stick and my left leg felt, well..... un-needed.
            Just get one of these and be done with it: http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...-about/1015827

Comment

That's a nice car, Charles but it's two years older than my impreza that I'm driving now. I really want a new car.

Comment

Comment

The tablet installation is neater than the crummy singe DIN unit above it. But touch screens are rubbish on the move. It's comparatively difficult to hit a small UI element when you are subject to the motion of car and the road surface isn't perfectly smooth. I have touch screen units in both cars and I tend to use the physical controls on the unit where possible.

Comment

Not sure on the top gear thread status and such, but i just wanted to say,

that as I grow older, the idea of spending 50...75....100k on a car, I find more and more against my liking, decency and sensibility.

However....i really, really, want a lexus lfa more than i want working internal organs

*edit* actually i could prob live without the car. I just wanted to be dramatic
                    Last edited by Largo; 05-02-2013, 12:13.

Comment

CMcK, I think I just liked it because it looks like KITT's display!

I agree about fancy cars being less appealing.

It used to be miles per hour that was the best thing about a car, these days it's miles per gallon!

Comment

I have turned my commute to work into a game trying to constantly beat my MPG high score. It makes me feel that I have saved some fuel and subsequently I don't feel guilty about the times I am trashing the car purely for pleasure.

Comment

I don't see any issues with buying nice cars. When I move back home to Scotland later in the year and no longer have to worry about security or crappy London drivers, car shopping will be one of the first things i'll be doing (and that's without setting a price bracket for a change). There's still two cars I need to own before i'm 40.

Comment

Originally posted by ikobo View Post
                            There's still two cars I need to own before i'm 40.
                            Cortina Crusader and a Vauxhall Chevette?

Comment

My brother had a cortina crusader, the recaro interior was awesome!

Comment

Had my S4 for a couple of years, want to change it now was thinking the new Audi RS7... What do you lot think??

Comment

Working...
                                X