Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The car thread 2.

Old thread here:

Friendly Import video game discussion forum, informative reviews, NTSC (Japan / US) and PAL - BordersDown (previously known as NTSC-uk)

I'll get this new thread off to a start as i've just been shopping! With my job about to change a bit I needed something a bit more practical, so have decided to go back to Audi again and pick this up Thursday after the pre sale inspection and service is completed. It's going to be great to be behind the wheel of an RS4 again. Obviously when I said sensible, a 4.2 litre V8 might not make sense, but for me it's a step in the right direction!

Merry Christmas to me!

Nice. That V8 makes lovely noises. Ride is a bit firm for my tastes. One of the lads at work has the same model and it is a right good laugh. And it's a bit of a Q car too the average punter wouldn't see it as anything other than a S-line model.

Changing topic I have the vRS back on its winter wheels and it is making me think that I may ditch the 17's in the spring and go for a set of 15's and new Pilot Sports. The difference in ride quality between the 15" steelies and the 17" alloys is massive.
    Even on our VW estate dropping down to 16" steelies for the winter has improved the ride quality although not to the same extent as the vRS.

Comment

Going back to the RS4 from the 911 is a treat to be honest. I'd certainly be in no rush to buy a Porsche again, bit of an error on my part that one! The ride is firm on the Audi, but not harshly so in my opinion, and certainly no worse than any other high performance saloon.

Comment

That's the one that goes 180 mph isn't it?

Comment

They have a limiter fitted which restricts them to 155mph, but with it removed they've been recorded at 180mph, yes. (I won't be removing it!)
          Last edited by Colin; 15-12-2012, 13:17.

Comment

Hehe, nice.

Comment

The chairs are a bit flash

Comment

Yeah, where do you start tinkering with this though Van?

Comment

Hey you laugh now but wait till they charge you for the service It's far too clean as well, I could eat my dinner off that.

That's a proper engine!

Comment

OOOOOFFF... Much prefer this over the Porka!!... the best colour as well

Comment

Originally posted by ikobo View Post
                      Going back to the RS4 from the 911 is a treat to be honest. I'd certainly be in no rush to buy a Porsche again, bit of an error on my part that one! The ride is firm on the Audi, but not harshly so in my opinion, and certainly no worse than any other high performance saloon.
                      I'm curious about what has put you off Porsches? I would be back in one tomorrow if it wasn't for my wonky leg.

Comment

I ultimately became very bored with the 911. It's not that it isn't a good car, it quite clearly is, but for me personally I couldn't form any kind of an attachment to it. They're incredibly capable, yet completely without any personality. I've owned a reasonable amount of 'proper' sports cars at various price ranges, the Porsche has been my least favourite. After selling the 911 I test drove a few other models (Boxster, Cayman), and just took the same impression from all of them. Not for me.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                          Nice. That V8 makes lovely noises. Ride is a bit firm for my tastes. One of the lads at work has the same model and it is a right good laugh. And it's a bit of a Q car too the average punter wouldn't see it as anything other than a S-line model.

Changing topic I have the vRS back on its winter wheels and it is making me think that I may ditch the 17's in the spring and go for a set of 15's and new Pilot Sports. The difference in ride quality between the 15" steelies and the 17" alloys is massive.
                          Even on our VW estate dropping down to 16" steelies for the winter has improved the ride quality although not to the same extent as the vRS.
                          The problem with dropping below 17" is that decent tyres are tricky to find, at least my 205/50/R16Z are a pain.... I can get cheap and cheerful Toyo T1R, but finding anything equally as sticky but with decent sidewalls is a nightmare and pricey - just going up to 17" makes a whole load of different tyres available and cheaper than the 16". Depends if you care about tyres though

Comment

As for 911s... I can't get the seats back far enough to be comfortable.

Comment

I care about tyres all right. Need to look into it a bit further obviously. Don't want super sticky track day efforts but still insist on something decent like Dunlop Sport Maxx or Michelin Pilot Sports.

Regarding the seat position I had similar bother with my Porsche. The seat was hard back and as low as possible with the sports seats and I JUST fitted in. Or at least that's what I told myself!

Ikobo I'm surprised you feel that way about the 911. I've not found much else that makes you feel a part of the car. The excellent driving position and perfectly weighted controls are a far cry from the numb but heavy racks on most sporty cars. And I cannot be doing with the over assisted brakes that are so prevalent these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X