No announcement yet.

All the World's Wrongs: Games At Fault!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think the media has jumped on the pewdiepie thing yet. I guess it was a pre-emptive comment by SF.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
      I don't think the media has jumped on the pewdiepie thing yet. I guess it was a pre-emptive comment by SF.
      Well said , I wonder if gaming will be blamed for recent spate in Knife crime and self harm cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
        Well said , I wonder if gaming will be blamed for recent spate in Knife crime and self harm cases.
        Don't tempt them. You can find a connection with anything if you look hard enough.
        The church of the flying spaghetti monster pokes fun at this by celebrating international pirates day because they say that the reduction in pirates around the world is directly linked to global warming. All in jest of course.

Comment

Don't tempt them. You can find a connection with anything if you look hard enough.
          The church of the flying spaghetti monster pokes fun at this by celebrating international pirates day because they say that the reduction in pirates around the world is directly linked to global warming. All in jest of course.
          Yeah I Blame EastEnders for no marriage working and no one being happy in the UK.

Comment

Evening Standard - PewDiePie 'sickened' as Christchurch shooter mentions YouTuber in live stream of New Zealand mosque shooting

It's made some news outlets in the UK. Although I think that the concentration is on the full horror of the murders and a Youtuber is still a relative unknown for a lot of the mass population.

It's not really about blaming gaming in this case, PDP has displayed racist, sexist, anti-semitic and white supremacist behaviour and sympathies on numerous occasions. If that led to a murderer calling him out as an idol, I think that raises serious questions and should also really cause some soul searching for him. Also streaming platforms allowing the killing to be viewed is a concern too.

EDIT: BBC's latest take on Social Media's role in this. Indeed given the UK's Govt criticism on Social Media following the attack I think this is where a lot of the focus will fall.
            Last edited by Digfox; 16-03-2019, 11:09.

Comment

I remember the days when video nasties were blamed, now its the internet and gaming.

Comment

I remember the days when video nasties were blamed, now its the internet.
                This thread is going around in circles. Anyway FTFY.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
                  This thread is going around in circles. Anyway FTFY.
                  Gaming is blamed for mass shootings. I remember when the makes it Quake were facing court action over a high school shooting.

Comment

Sure, but in relation to the NZ killings, gaming isn't the focus of the blame.

Comment

Wait, by games being blamed “now” do you mean lawsuits more than 20 years old that were dismissed and had one person disbarred for bringing frivolous suits? Because I’m not finding anything more recent when it comes to anything connected with Quake.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
                        Sure, but in relation to the NZ killings, gaming isn't the focus of the blame.
                        Sure, but in the context of mass shootings video games have been blamed, usually in jokes of papers like the Daily Mail
                        & Guardian.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                          Wait, by games being blamed “now” do you mean lawsuits more than 20 years old that were dismissed and had one person disbarred for bringing frivolous suits? Because I’m not finding anything more recent when it comes to anything connected with Quake.
                          Alwsys with the cocky and condescending posts. Gaming is blamed for mass shootings in the here and now, I'm sure your mate Donald Trump looked to point the blame on Video games Keith Vaz blames GTA for his addiction to sex with boys and snorting cocaine
                          Last edited by Team Andromeda; 16-03-2019, 13:04.

Comment

Sorry, I actually googled looking for info because I genuinely didn’t know instead of just embracing my own ignorance as an online persona. I came up empty.

When it comes to this sort of thing, I live in hope that media outlets will at least do some homework and get to know what they’re taking about. They don’t always do that. But we can.

Comment

This from 20 years ago?
                              https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp...hool-shootings

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                                Sorry, I actually googled looking for info because I genuinely didn’t know instead of just embracing my own ignorance as an online persona. I came up empty.

When it comes to this sort of thing, I live in hope that media outlets will at least do some homework and get to know what they’re taking about. They don’t always do that. But we can.
                                No offence DT, but you are being a bit contrarian here. When something like this happens, tell me that once the immediate sympathy for the victims passes and you have a moment to think about it, that you don't brace for the inevitable backlash against video games via some tenuous link.

It bothers me less than it did years ago, but I think that's purely because I've got sick of hearing it.

And it bothers me! I don't like that this terrible thing has happened and I'm wondering how it's going to affect my hobby. Then again, if I had something to do with this, looking into the terrorist's videogame history would be the last thing on my mind. There are clearly people out there who see these events and immediately want to use them as grist for their mill, instead of caring about the actual issues of things like white supremacy, racism, xenophobia and the closer problems like gun control.
                                Last edited by Asura; 16-03-2019, 13:24.

Comment

Working...
                                X