No announcement yet.

All the World's Wrongs: Games At Fault!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is one clear instance where nobody need defend video games. And nobody should - that’s only feeding a narrative of distraction. Nobody actually thinks it’s games here, guys.

Comment

We all know it's not games... Its Marilyn Manson right?? Oh wait what year is it?

Comment

Games have always been a scapegoat much like horror films. We had a media outcry over Manhunt and I remember Activision being blamed for an Airport shooting, because of Modern Warfare II.

Only going to get worse, what with GFX getting ever more realistic

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
          I remember Activision being blamed for an Airport shooting, because of Modern Warfare II.
          Blaming them is too far, but that bit in MW2 did video games no favours at all. They were asking for a backlash, almost bating it.

Comment

We had a media outcry over Manhunt
            Manhunt is a very violent game - it's a game that features people getting bludgeoned to death, people getting bummed in the gob, people getting garrotted...

Comment

Yep. TA has seen a dog with a fluffy tail and is chasing it. This is not relevant to what is happening right now.

Comment

How do you bum someone in the gob?

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                  “Come on, what are you waiting for? Do it!”

“I told you, I’m just checking how!”

“By standing there?”

“I’ve asked online, okay?”

“Did they answer?”

“Well it’s a games forum and sometimes people take a while to reply”

“I’m really losing my mood here so if you’re really serious about bumming me in the gob you can’t keep me waiting. Wait, what are you doing now?”

“Sorry, just asking a thing about Pokemon while I’m here”

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                    By painting their face like a bottom?

Comment

Comment

Brilliant. I have never seen that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                          Brilliant. I have never seen that.
                          Me neither!

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            Blaming them is too far, but that bit in MW2 did video games no favours at all. They were asking for a backlash, almost bating it.
                            I found Manhunt to be far worse , content wise, but actually thought it was a rather well made and designed game . The only time I thought a game went a little too far and so close to the edge, was with GTA V and the Trevor torture scene.

But I've always tire of video games & horror films being blamed . It's like blaming all the TV soaps, for people being or drugs or marriage breaks ups; given not a single marriage has worked in EastEnders and the like .

Comment

I have no idea if modern games are having a bad effect on some people and making them aggressive and violent. But there's no doubt that modern games like COD have nothing in common in with retro games like Commando. Maybe the realism in modern games like COD, GTA etc.. does have a psychological effect on some people that inspires them to be violent.

We do live in a world where violence in games and films is more realistic and explicit than ever. And lots of singers/rappers glorify violence. Maybe all of it does have a bad effect on people predisposed to violence. There's certainly a lot of grim negativity out there in the world if you want to embrace it.

We can now look back at very old films and games and see violent content as quaint and quite laughable. That definitely says a lot about how realistic the violence in games and films now is. Exposure to it probably has zero effect on normal, well adjusted people, but there is a chance that some people are negatively influenced by how extreme the modern culture is. I think lots of things about modern society are having a negative impact on people, but I have no idea if this is driving a certain percentage of them to behave violently.

We definitely need proper studies. Maybe the "anything goes" mentality that has permeated society for the past 20 years has led to more depression, negative behaviour, and an increase in violence. Violent games might simply be one facet of a much larger problem.
                              Last edited by Leon Retro; 06-08-2019, 16:08.

Comment

Keith Vaz and his calls to ban GTA
                                Keith Vaz

Comment

Working...
                                X