No announcement yet.

All the World's Wrongs: Games At Fault!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bonus points to dataDave for invoking Godwin's Law!

It's interesting that a couple of you have said that handguns are a greater threat because they can be concealed easier than automatic weapons, but concealment was never an issue in any of these shootings.

Automatic weapons fire more, high-power, bullets from large-capacity magazines which spray the target area, so the fatalities are usually higher. With handguns, you've got to be pretty accurate. Firing twin guns whilst diving in slo-mo only happens in John Woo films.

I mentioned automatic weapons because one of the police officers attending the scene said this level of carnage couldn't have been achieved without them.

Did you know that on exactly the same day as the Sandy Hook shootings, a man went into a primary school in China, armed with a knife and he injured 22 children? Probably not, because nobody died.

If you feel like depressing yourself, you could look at the list of school massacres and see that no matter which country they took place in, apart from a few anomalies with bombs and flame-throwers, the faster the weapon, the higher the death toll. That's statistics talking, not politicians.

I don't think banning guns is a feasible option, but sensible conversation needs to take place to discuss if people need a machine gun for hunting or protecting their homes. There are arguments for both sides, but only about 1.6% of mass shootings were ended by armed civilians.

I am pro-choice on this, but isn't it time we choose to get rid of the more powerful weapons?

Thanks, Dogg Thang, for understanding where I'm coming from.

There are lots of factors involved with Sandy Hook, clouded further with the lack of suicide note or threatening phone call, but it feels like everybody is in agreement that it shouldn't have happened and should never happen again, but nobody seems to want make any sacrifices to achieve that goal.

It's easy for me to make all the statements above pointing out the wrongs of the availability of automatic weapons, but a bit hypocritical to say "violent video games played no part whatsoever, so hands off!"

After years of watching violent movies and playing gory video games, whether we want it or not, there is a "biological connection between male psyches".

Comment

10-20 years ago it wiuld have been the fault of Freddy Starr and has hamster eating tendancies. Watershed timings do seem to have softened massively which I'd be more tempted to point towards Soaps as the culprits. They're 2hrs before it but are in a constant one up manship with each other which has led to the normalisation of storylines revolving around sex, violence, incest etc chasing viewers which has led to it being ok for other shows to broach them and the slow move to normalisation which has meant the watershed means nothing.

Awful though these events are the only option is the reduce risk as you can't wholesale stop it. Personally I really don't think games are to blame here or in any such event in memory. We're looking at one person amongst multiples of millions who has a wide array of issues. The biggest contributing factor wouldn't surprise me if it was previous shootings. These instances have been on the increase and these damaged minds probably find the infamy they bring as appealing due to the frenzy they produce hence why the circumstances are the same. It'd be easy to do this at any public place yet schools are usually the target. In the list of contributing factors I'd wager games in reality are quite down the list

Comment

I agree with you on soaps. The other thing with soaps is that a huge number of kids watch them and yet they aren't made for kids. I remember seeing ratings among child audiences a year or so back from here in Ireland and one of the top rated shows among children was Eastenders.

Comment

I cringe whenever I see Hollyoaks, some of the storylines it tackles are potentially very hard hitting and yet it parades like its Made in Chelsea.

Comment

Listen to the Radio1 news - it's atrocious and totally unsuitable for most young kids, even though their primary audience is young kids. Mostly seems to be about people getting hacked up, raped, mass murdered, or molested. Or combinations.

Even CBBC news had a feature all about the progress of some war somewhere with scenes of missle attack aftermath. Seriously? gtfo.

Comment

As for QC, yeah, surely fully automatic weapons should be banned apart from the military.

Great post.

Yours was good too

Comment

Nazi penguins.

Comment

Comment

Some crazy person who is apparantly in charge of stuff is recommending that millions of $ are spent researching violent videogames so we can protect the children. Forgetting of course that that's what parental controls and content ratings are for....

Comment

Marty, brilliant video.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                        http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...fter-shootings

Some crazy person who is apparantly in charge of stuff is recommending that millions of $ are spent researching violent videogames so we can protect the children. Forgetting of course that that's what parental controls and content ratings are for....

Problem is most parents are complete ****in' morons!

I am amazed how many of my friends allow their kids the play any old game.
                        And these are so called sensible members of society, doctors, laywers, teachers etc.

My son is 4, and every thing they do they mimmic, it is human nature.

Anyone who thinks violent games or films has no effect on things like this is a moron.
                        If we all played games that contained fairies these nutters would probably be going round in fairy costumes, a scary thought but slightly less scary than what happened.

When I was 20 I used to hear that 'films had influenced this or that' and I used to think bollocks. But I started to see how much I was influenced by certain things, even down to how much I mocked my peers, stand in a room full of Oxbridges and I certainly act in a different way as when I am down the pub before the football.

I had my daughter at 21, she is now 18, I never noticed how much she copied things as all the things she copied were nice things.
                        However, I now have a 4 year old son, and it has really hit me how much they copy what they see, firstly because he watched all the musicals with his big sister and having a son who 'just wants to dance!' is not something that instantly makes you proud! But also because when he comes back from friends who allow them to watch certain cartoons or play certain games he becomes what can only be described as a nasty violent piece of work.
                        He doesn't mean it and doesn't realise he is doing anything wrong, but I would rather he was singing and dancing around than bashing everyone.

I guess though it boils down to this, so what if a few more kids get shot to bits, as long as I can play or watch what I want to watch who really gives a ****?!

Comment

One of the earliest surviving works in the western philosophical tradition, Plato's Republic, is predicated largely on the conviction that the perfect society needs - first and foremost - to censor the flow and content of imagery, in the belief that people uncritically emulate what they see. Zeus rapes a nymph? Apollo flays Marsyas alive? OK, well if gods can do it, so can I. Aristotle, in the Poetics, said bollocks to his former mentor Plato: highly overwrought sensual and violent imagery has a 'cathartic' effect on its audience, purging their pent-up emotions and aggressions and thereby making them better citizens by the time they leave the theatre.

How ****ing retarded must we be that we can still offer nothing more concrete or convincing to either side of a debate that was had 2,500 years ago!

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                            How ****ing retarded must we be that we can still offer nothing more concrete or convincing to either side of a debate that was had 2,500 years ago!

Problem is we are all ignorant.

Comment

Maybe they were just ahead of their time and framed the debate so perfectly that there's really nothing to add. I suppose the thing I find frustrating is that there appears to be no really reliable evidence either way, so we're stuck arbitrarily taking sides in the Plato vs. Aristotle game. Aristotle FTW - woooooot!!!!

Comment

We all like what we like, if you like violent video games you won't want to see them banned. Sacrificing a few children to play them is something you are prepared to do.
                                I would happily give them up to stop it happening.
                                Same with some films.

However, turn this around, if you said to me that reducing the speed limit from 70mph to 50mph and 30mph to 15mph would half the deaths on UK roads, 1900 last year by the way, are you happy to sign up for that?
                                I don't think I would, I would argue that why should I have to make my life harder driving round the country for a living for the sake of a few who 'don't know how to drive properly.'

We are all selfish, very few can hand on heart say that we are not, we love to think we are, but I have yet to meet someone who is completely selfless.
                                So really this all all academic, unless we are all prepared to become selfless over night it really doesn't matter.

Obama could change the gun laws over night if he wanted, but again he is selfish so won't.
                                Why is he selfish? Because he knows that if he does he will not get voted back in, too many Americans consider it their right, vote guns out and we vote you out.

At the end of the day we live in a selfish world, better get used to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X