All the World's Wrongs: Games At Fault!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All the World's Wrongs: Games At Fault!

Well, as usual, the ever professional writings in The Sun and others have jumped on the Games attack following the Sandy Hook shootings. Black Ops 2 gets singled out despite The Suns recent praise of the title and somehow the ancient battles in Dynasty Warriors apparently also directly influenced the incident. None of the companies related were contacted to respond to the articles. Really shows what a joke regulation standards are for the press still.
    Last edited by Brad; 18-09-2013, 15:38.

Yeah I instinctively thought 'Dynasty Warriors' when I heard he went into the school draped in flowing silks and gold embroideries, doing backflips on horseback while firing flaming arrows all about the place.

Comment

The mother knew her son was unstable and had mental problems, yet she had pistols, rifles and ammo in the house which he could easily access and then this happened. If this incident doesn't make Americans understand that they need a lot tighter gun-control, nothing will. It's unbelievable that people can defend guns even after things like this happen.
      Last edited by Guts; 18-12-2012, 12:48.

Comment

^ Moreover she was a primary school teacher. Anyway, the moment the Americans give up their guns they know the British will re-invade to get their territories back. That's where the right to bear arms originates, and that's why they're afraid. They know we're poised and ready to go...

Comment

I thought it was to defend against their Mexican housekeepers rebelling...

Anyway, some interesting reading here:

Comment

I'm amazed its taken them that long to link games with the tragedy. I guess not being able to hack peoples phones has meant they've had to rely on making stuff up too make "news".

Also; Family Guy had it right. The constitution was misconstrued;

Comment

Seems relevant - http://www.myspace.com/goldielookinc...games-85247014

Comment

Hangon, rewind back 10-20 years and this would have been because of violent films..

This whole thing really does make you lose faith in humanity.

Comment

You have faith in humanity?

Comment

Restore some faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
                      15 is a bit creepy.

18 made me well up.

23 made me cry like a baby.

Comment

It's a sad reflection on society that many people would agree with you about no.15.

Comment

Pretty easy as I can only think of three that did it for me enough.

1. Mario Galaxy - Good Egg Galaxy theme

2. Scott Pilgrim vs The world - Leo's place

3. Uncharted Main theme.
                          Last edited by rmoxon; 18-12-2012, 22:13.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                            Pretty easy as I can only think of three that did it for me enough.

1. Mario Galaxy - Good Egg Galaxy theme

2. Scott Pilgrim vs The world - Leo's place

3. Uncharted Main theme.
                            Those 3 tunes make you want to go on a killing spree?

Comment

I can't stop thinking about the events at Sandy Hook Elementary School, and I just need to talk about them a bit, so sorry if I'm rambling.

Firstly, Teddy, I keep thinking of the bear arms/arms of a bear gag on Family Guy.
                              Secondly, Fry, that article made me well-up too, so I made my wife read it so I wouldn't be the only one!
                              Thirdly, CMcK, I agree with you 100%. I hate that every man is a potential paedophile and anybody engaging children is "creepy".

As for Sandy Hook, the world is trying to get it's head around something that we probably never will. Anders Breivik in Norway, the Columbine shooters, Raoul Moat and so on all had their reasons for the events they created, but because there's no suicide note and Adam Lanza destroyed his hard drive, everybody seems to be trying to rest the blame on something.

Morgan Freeman blames the media and how they focus on the murderers, not the victims.

(Fake, but an interesting read)

The Mayor of New York says Obama needs to ban automatic weapons.
                              Ted Nugent says if the teachers were armed, it wouldn't have happened.
                              The Sun says it's because he played Call of Duty.
                              Being a goth, is a contributing factor say some.
                              Others say his paranoid mother is to blame and her stockpile of weapons in preparation for economic and social collapse.

(Here are some facts about the Newtown gunman, to avoid the Chinese whispers of the internet.)

Personally, I think Obama needs to make outlawing automatic weapons his legacy, now he's back in power for another four years with no need to fear the NRA, voters or outcries of breaking The Second Amendment. Australia did it as recently as 1996, so it is possible.

Which leads me back round to thinking if the majority should be restricted because of the actions of the few?

I was going to talk about movie censorship a bit, but I guess movies, games, music and even art are subject to censorship in some form.

One of the things I can't comprehend is how the parents of the victims are feeling. Their worlds must be falling apart. If this had happened to my son, I don't know how I'd get up in the morning. I can't imagine life would be worth living.

So we're all keen to jump up and shout at The Sun and their scare-mongering.
                              We're all happy to point the finger at the NRA and say "things have got to change".

...but none of us seem to consider that maybe we should reconsider the gun culture in games.

There, I said it.

If you'd have asked me a week ago if I thought violent games should be addressed, I'd have laughed at you.
                              Now I'm thinking if there really is evidence that excessive exposure to violent videogames genuinely did affect Lanza and is even a slight factor behind the events at Sandy Hook, would I be willing to accept a change in content in future games?

If I knew it could possibly prevent another Sandy Hook, I'd probably say "yes".

Sorry for rambling.

Comment

Working...
                              X