Clear All

Don't Mess With Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      Don't Mess With Texas
      Especially Alexas Texas

Comment

Polygon has a piece on gaming and violence

Violent, isolationist and misogynist desires course through games – and push rightwing ideologies on players, writes gaming author Alfie Bown

And the Guardian.

Comment

A girl was shot in the head by her brother at the weekend over an argument about a console controller when she wouldn’t let him play.

https://kotaku.com/girl-shot-in-the-head-by-her-brother-during-argument-ov-1823878235/amp

Cue headline being changed to

“games console shoots child”

In 54321

Comment

So sad

A few in the comments are complaining about the use of a DS4 when the controller was 'unspecified' because priorities.

Comment

Benefits of Play Revealed in Research on Video Gaming: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...h-video-gaming

Comment

As an ageing, overweight player of video games, I've always assumed games are a significant part of a lifestyle which is, to say the least, more sedentary than is good for me. Still, it could be worse (I've always said to myself), I could just be watching TV. But recent research suggests that…

"Study links violent video games to increased calorie intake"

"The researchers compared Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (pictured), FIFA 2013 and episodes of FriendsThe researchers compared Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (pictured), FIFA 2013 and episodes of FriendsThe researchers compared Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (pictured), FIFA 2013 and episodes of Friends
                As an ageing, overweight player of video games, I've always assumed games are a significant part of a lifestyle which is, to say the least, more sedentary than is good for me. Still, it could be worse (I've always said to myself), I could just be watching TV. But recent research suggests that stress markers and associated food consumption could be a bigger factor in gaming than television-viewing – with a liberal sprinkling of caveats, needless to say.

FIFA la différence

Researchers at University College London assembled 72 overweight or obese men aged between 18 and 32. All were given a muffin for breakfast before being set to work. The researchers then compared a control group watching episodes of the TV sitcom Friends to two groups of gamers: one playing a non-violent game, FIFA 2013, and one playing a violent one, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.

After an hour, the volunteers were given a 25-minute rest and access to sweet and savory snacks including biscuits, chocolate, nuts, fruit, a sugary fizzy drink and water. The researchers measured heart rate and blood pressure throughout the experiment, and asked survey questions at regular intervals. The team took numerous steps to eliminate other influences, such as asking the volunteers to fast ahead of the experiment, and discounting data from one volunteer who rocked up with a hangover.

Kcal of Duty

The two major findings were these: First, that the gamers as a whole exhibited more stress than the TV group, though interestingly, the Call of Duty players didn't exhibit more stress than the FIFA players. Secondly, the Call of Duty players went on to actually consume more calories and saturated fat, despite no reported increase in appetite compared to the other two groups. They didn't eat more food overall, but their choices were more calorific.

"Playing video games in overweight/obese males is associated with an acute stress response relative to watching non-violent television, associated with great subsequent food intake," the research concludes. "These findings highlight the need to focus the metabolic effects, as well as the energy costs, of activities involving sitting in relation to obesity risk."

Games as exercise?

However, as the researchers point out, this work is one piece in a vast mosaic of related research. Prior research from 1991, for example, suggests that sitting down to play video games with a joystick (remember those?) expends energy comparable to mild exercise. Further, a variety of research suggests that any activities involving mental effort can lead to greater food consumption without an increase in appetite. In the context of other research, then, it would be unfair to conclude that "video games make you fat."

Further, there are limitations to this particular research. One obvious question, not addressed by this experiment, is what would have happened with a group watching violent television shows? Second, the researchers mention that the choice of video games will have had a bearing, as well as the gamers' skill at the games played.

What's in a game?

The researchers even suggest that Modern Warfare 3 could be insufficiently violent or engaging to exhibit a difference in stress markers from FIFA, though it's tempting to suggest that, so far as non-violent games go, a competitive soccer game is towards the more stressful end of the spectrum.

They also point out that findings which are true for overweight males may not hold for the broader population. They also point out that the limited choice of snacks did not reflect the full range of choice people would potentially have at home, especially if healthy choices are made when shopping.

The team's research was published in the journal Appetite, and is freely available online."

Comment

I'm not sure how that study holds sway, I mean any 18-32 bloke made to watch Friends for an hour is going to be more relaxed than doing pretty much any other hobby by virtue of slipping into a mild boredom induced coma state.

Comment

A Video Game That Wants to Stop Sexual Harassment

Two years ago, nine students at an alternative school on the north side of Chicago spent part of their summer playing a video game named Bystander. It begins on the day of an important assembly at a Chicago high school. “No one deserves to be harassed,” says Virgil, the virtual faculty member who guides players through the game. “Unfortunately, around half of all students grades seven through twelve reported experiencing some type of sexual harassment in the past year.”

From there, students move through four scenarios: One is devoted to teaching players to correctly identify instances of sexual harassment during a normal school day. In another, the player intervenes in a situation involving consent and alcohol. The most nuanced modules, however, are the two that take place after a traumatic situation has already occurred. It’s up to the player to steer his or her peers away from blaming themselves, to affirm their experiences, and to guide them towards help.

Comment

Years ago when I played GTA V a lot on the Xbox 360, there were a few occasions when I'd go into town and if a car pulled up in front of me due to traffic or at traffic lights, I'd have a genuine impulsive urge to pull the driver out, jump in the car and drive off. I've never had that urge before or since and I have to assume it was playing GTA V that did it. Consequently I can definitely see how violent video games can lead to real life violence. We're not robots running on a closed program. We're forever being shaped by the things we see and do, our experiences, and some of us are more easily influenced than others. What's more some people have a hard time resisting their urges, no matter how silly or fanciful they may seem to others.

Comment

Radio 2 Jeremy Vine is talking about whether Fortnite is evil and causing addiction due to one very lightly referred to case. I wonder how this will pan out... :\

Comment

Saudi Arabia Bans Many Video Games After Children's Deaths.

"Saudi Arabia says it's banning a long list of popular video games after allegations surfaced that two children killed themselves after being encouraged to do so in an online game.

The Saudi General Commission for Audio-Visual Media said Monday it was banning 47 games, including Grand Theft Auto V, Assassins Creed 2 and Witcher, for unspecified violations of rules and regulations.

The ban was in response to the deaths of a 13-year-old girl and a 12-year-old boy who reportedly killed themselves after playing the so-called "Blue Whale" social media game, though the agency did not say what the connection was.

Also known as the Blue Whale Challenge, participants are said to be given a series of tasks to complete, capped with killing themselves at the end."

Comment

... Why... well...umm...yeah...I...*sigh*

Comment

Ooh look, a repressive theocracy does something stupid and repressive.

Comment

If you popped into a newsagent yesterday - or perhaps even glanced at social media - you might have seen a front page h…

Interesting write up on how the press circle gaming scandal articles

Comment

Working...
                                X