No announcement yet.

All the World's Wrongs: Games At Fault!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So glad I missed this Radio2 discussion. It sounds awful.

Comment

Lots of things in life can be additive not least the Internet and Internet forums. But I guess it's OK for people to use the Internet spent their life on Mobile, twitter and Facebook but let's worry about the evil of games instead.

Think people need to get a grip and a grasp of life and stop looking to blame stuff for people being skint and having no life(Which in most cases are total their fault)but let's look to blame films or games instead.

No doubt Keith Vaz will blame GTA for his actions of having illegal sex and snorting coke
      Last edited by Team Andromeda; 16-08-2018, 15:47.

Comment

I wonder if there is a generational Gap causing some of this. The majority of gamers are millennials (born in the 1980s - 1996) and younger. However the vast majority of decision makers and newspaper owners and are baby boomers and older. They don't play video games, but hear about games like GTA (with some embellishments) and come to the conclusion that video games are the reason for the end of 'the good old days' (much like rock and roll was). If this person was an editor of a newspaper he/she may well be more receptive and pay more for stories that confirm their prejudice.

Comment

I still remember that Alan Titchmarsh chat shows segment on it which was beyond stomach churning.

Comment

Any parent who’s under 50 has no excuse for not understanding tech, what it does, how to use a computer or how to set up parental controls on any of it. They’ve all grown up and with tech so it’s their own fault if they don’t take the minutes it takes to learn this stuff, along with what their kids are doing with it.

Rant over.

Comment

Always annoying this kind of coverage. What's most irritating is, as SF points out, all the games get lumped into one, as if GTA, Candy Crush Saga and Mario Odyssey are all the same thing. It's like putting Heat magazine, Stephen King novels and Where The Wild Things in one bucket because they're all publications.

It has a real impact, too. The 30 or 40 something mums with young children I know have an unduly negative view of games, in part because media coverage focuses on the negatives. It doesn't help that they don't take the time to understand them at all, of course. To their minds it's all pap that, just as a lot of media coverage paints it, can be put in a single category.

Then there are the parents who are too permissive and let their kids play anything. I was sat behind a little girl of about 8 or 9 today San Andreas on her dad's phone. Argh.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                Lots of things in life can be additive not least the Internet and Internet forums.
                Tell me about it. I've taken to using a webtime tracker to limit my time online.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                  Then there are the parents who are too permissive and let their kids play anything. I was sat behind a little girl of about 8 or 9 today San Andreas on her dad's phone. Argh.
                  That in turn then affects the non-permissive parents because their kids bug them that "Tommy is allowed to play Call of Duty and he's ten like me, why can't I?!" type affairs.
                  Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

The participant at a tournament in Jacksonville opens fire before shooting himself.

Comment

The game they were playing was about American Football. Let's just remember that while we watch them spin this into something about videogame violence.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                        The game they were playing was about American Football. Let's just remember that while we watch them spin this into something about videogame violence.
                        My thoughts exactly.

Comment

Videogames cause more trouble than football and religion combined! We all know that videogame conventions are a hive of violence and anti social behaviour.

Comment

RDR2 contains a Suffragette, the obvious then unfolds and the media is on Rockstar for it

Comment

I mentioned it elsewhere but there's a guy who does videos called "Change my mind", which sounds like a great idea for open debate, but in reality his opinion is fixed and he's trying to berate other people's opinions and just be a shock-jock.

There are topics like "There are only two genders... change my mind", "Male privilege is a myth", "Rape cutlure is a myth", "Trump is not a Fascist", "I'm pro-life" and "Build the wall".
                              I watched "I'm pro-gun" and hated it.

You tube then spent ages saying "you might like this video" and I had to tell it to stop suggesting it.
                              Then it started telling me about all sorts of "Feminist gets PWNED" videos and I had to stop those too.

Now YouTube must think I'm some sort of pro-Trump anti-feminist. :/

Naturally, this video popped up and I knew there'd be trouble.

I've not got to this point in the game yet, but I'm guessing you can't help her on a side-mission to help women vote, you can only ignore her or beat her up.

The first Redemption game even had an achievement, "Dastardly", for hog tying a woman and leaving her on the train tracks until she gets run over.

Comment

I don’t know what the choices were in the game so can’t comment much on the game itself or Rockstar. But I notice the article barely touches on those either and it doesn’t read like they are gunning for Rockstar. What it does point out and is very apparent is a problem with gamers in gaming. But as QC also mentions, there is a YouTube problem here too. A video like this shouldn’t be getting so many views or comments but YouTube pushes these things up, not down into the the sewers where they belong.

Comment

Working...
                                X