Steelbook Supremacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steelbook Supremacy

After the recent discussion in the Blu Ray purchases thread and the increase in announced releases which includes Amazon and Zavvi's increase in focus on them, I figured a dedicated news and discussion thread for Steelbooks might actually end up being better suited after all.

First up is Zavvi who have updated their Star Trek listing for May to reveal the artwork won't repeat the original Enterprise silheotte version but will instead be a new Kirk/Spock profile cover.

A whole thread of Steelbooks!

OMG

Comment

I've actually started to care less & less about Steels.

I first started getting excited when there were limited releases getting the Steel treatment but it seems all of a sudden that everything is getting one & it's becoming over saturated IMO

I did have loads on Pre-order but I've since gone through & cancelled most of them.

I now only have -

Star Trek
      Roger Rabbit
      Man with the Iron Fists
      Nemo
      Platoon

I'm going to be even more selective in future.

It just seems like overkill now.

Neil

Comment

My preorders are similar, Roger Rabbit is a must. Most expensive omission of mine is Tangled, can't get over how obscenely hard and expensive it is to get hold of.

Comment

I regretted selling some of mine when I had to initially get the money for my ex

Sold Thor and captain America for ?20 each and didnt realise they are around ?50 each and if I wanted them back it would cost me an arm and a leg

Started to build it back up again but not buying old movies that are getting the latest round of steelbook treatment

Bought hellboy and the latest resident evil today from hmv for ?21 which I thought was good value

Might go back tomorrow and pick up company of wolves

Comment

Zavvi hasn't added much today, the main one is a Steelboom for the first X Men film which is due in April. Presumably steelbooks for X2 and 3 will follow later on.

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
              Zavvi hasn't added much today, the main one is a Steelboom for the first X Men film which is due in April. Presumably steelbooks for X2 and 3 will follow later on.
              I saw X-men up there yesterday & I'm tempted as I quite enjoy the first one.

Would have to know 2 & 3 are due as well though as It's a pain only having one of them.

I'm still hoping that someone releases the final 2 TF films on BD over here...I know you can get them on Amazon.DE but they are getting expensive & I'd prefer it if they looked similar to the UK release

Neil

Comment

Would be nice for the others to come out, the way things are going a steelbook Xmen collection would sit well with the Maevel collection quite well

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
                  Would be nice for the others to come out, the way things are going a steelbook Xmen collection would sit well with the Maevel collection quite well
                  That's what I was thinking...just need Fantastic Four & the Raimi Spiderman's & it would make a nice little display

Neil

Comment

What I don't understand with steelbook releases is why they never include the 3D version of the film. A lot of the films released in 3D might not be worth watching in it, but that doesn't explain the omission as you'd think a collector who is going to buy a steelbook would want a complete version of the film.

Comment

Does seem strange unless the 3D version costs more to print and the sales aren't worth the extra cost. However I guess its also better not potentially having tje phrase 3D plastered over the box. I'm getting pretty much towards the end of catching up on what I wanted to pick up, just a couple of bits to get. Hopefully main series like Marvel etc continue to have new releases so the collection can be maintained.

Comment

Prometheus was 3d + 2d in steely...even though it was still prometheus.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                          What I don't understand with steelbook releases is why they never include the 3D version of the film.
                          My guess would be so the initial disc is cheaper to produce and so they can charge you again for the 3D version at a later date.

/cynic

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            My guess would be so the initial disc is cheaper to produce and so they can charge you again for the 3D version at a later date.

/cynic
                            Except the 3d version is released on the same day as the Steelebook so it's not a latter date and all it means is that people with a 3D tv are not going to buy the steelbook.

Also I very much doubt 3D disks are more expensive to produce, as far as I am aware it's just a bunch of video files on a disk, it doesn't matter if its 3D or not, it's not a special disk or anything, they are all just copies of a master on a standard blu ray disk. Obviously a 3D film is more expensive to film than a standard film, so you would think they would want to sell as many copies of it as possible.
                            Last edited by rmoxon; 25-02-2013, 15:56.

Comment

I bet a lot of people who collect steelbooks but also like to watch movies in 3D buy both versions.

Comment

Working...
                              X