User Tag List

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast
    I don't want to read the opinions of Daily Mail readers, thanks.

I hope the change is to allow interesting ideas in the stories, rather than just generate talk.

Given the lead role is now a woman it'd be nice for the companion role to finally be shaken up with either a male or non-human role. The teen girl trope has been a staple since the shows return and having that would help to keep a fresher air to the show. That and no-romantic connections between the two roles. There's too often been a focus on possible romantic threads between the two roles or the hard opposite with Capaldi on cold indifference.

The show has been quite heavy handed in its handling of addressing some things in order to show its inclusion of more diverse social aspects and if anything, the casting of Whittaker is such a bold statement of intent for the show that it shouldn't need to keep the weaker attempts such as Bill's repeated references to being gay which added nothing to the plot but make it feel too often like that's all there was to her.

If anything I'd hope Whittakers Doctor is more along the Smith type of Doctor. He did a good job of being a young actor conveying a character who is immensely old and has lost a lot in his lifetime, the Doctor should always have this about him/her and that emotive edge (Bill's exit should have traumatised the Doctor and been a key part of his character progression instead of a wave away moment). If the Doctor doesn't care then why should the viewer?

I've only seen one or two speculative pieces such as the teaser containing the Ecclestone/Tennant Tardis rather than the current Smith/Capaldi version which is interesting and a possible slight indicator of intent

Quote Originally Posted by Superman Falls View Post
    The 13th (though I'd rather they start calling it the 14th like it actually is) Doctor will be revealed this Sunday around 6pm
    I'm not an expert on the franchise but is it that they don't count "The War Doctor"?

Quote Originally Posted by QualityChimp View Post
    I don't want to read the opinions of Daily Mail readers, thanks.
    Would bet £50 that one of the commenters says something along the lines of "Who is this nurse? We wanted a doctor", "nurse Who?" or something along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Asura View Post
    Would bet £50 that one of the commenters says something along the lines of "Who is this nurse? We wanted a doctor", "nurse Who?" or something along those lines.
    I will happily take you up on that bet as I don't believe Daily Mail readers are that inventive, but seeing as neither of us want to trawl though the rabid rants of Mail readers, it'll have to stay in a permanent state of us simultaneously both being right and wrong like Schrödinger's Bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman Falls View Post
    Given the lead role is now a woman it'd be nice for the companion role to finally be shaken up with either a male or non-human role. The teen girl trope has been a staple since the shows return and having that would help to keep a fresher air to the show. That and no-romantic connections between the two roles. There's too often been a focus on possible romantic threads between the two roles or the hard opposite with Capaldi on cold indifference.
    Any romantic thread will have to be carefully written as becoming a woman in appearance doesn't automatically mean that the Doctor is now attracted to men.

@Asura
    Yeah, they still don't include the War Doctor in the numbering but to me it seems pointless and slightly insulting not to. The narrative reasoning holds up respectively for the War Doctor being excluded until you get to the end of the anniversary special where the Doctors come to peace that he wasn't a dark version of the Doctor and didn't actually commit the atrocity they believed he had. It was supposed to be a moment of acceptance and redemption for his darkest act and as the War Doctor and Tennants had their memories wiped at the end it kept the Nu-Who canon in place. However from Smith onwards the viewer and the Doctor are aware of everything so it feels somewhat dismissive to still shun that version even though he's a legitimate regeneration of the character, plus it would have been a small but nice tribute to John Hurt for his depiction not to be repeatedly overlooked in recognition.
    @MartyG
    I agree, I have to assume that the BBC is aware of the live grenade it has on its hands with the casting choice and the next series hasn't ramped up production yet so they have plenty time to tweak their course and I imagine they will given they've already suffered the collapse of Top Gear and loss of Bake Off making Who very important to their brand, the whole reason for their desire to relaunch in the first place. I imagine they'll keep her uninvolved as it's an easy direction for the character given how few incarnations have gone down that route and it'll avoid the 'interested in a male=can't go without depending on a man' criticisms as much as the 'interested in a woman=pushing an agenda' ones. I can imagine the casting is as bold as it'll go for now.

It'll add a lot of fuel next time to the push for a black Doctor but that's a slightly different casting matter for the Beeb and I can imagine they'll avoid that for a regen or two as well for now. Not in the way that there shouldn't be a black actor play the Doctor but it's very definitely one where there is absolutely no reason why the Doctor should be black just as much as there is a reason why he shouldn't be. Being an alien from another world if he can change ethnicity then any ethnicity becomes a valid option so it really should be a wider consideration than just one alternative to caucasian

I haven't seen more than the odd ep of Doctor Who in recent years but I did watch all of the Baker/Davidson/Baker/McCoy years and have fond memories. But one thing about this casting bothers me. As far as I knew, one of the things about the Doctor was that she would only have 12 lives. How did they change that?

It's all a bit wooly. There have already been 13 regenerations in fact because Tenant regenerated without changing form.

In a very forced manner so that Moffatt could pat himself on the back for addressing it around the time of the 50th Anniversary much like most of his canonical changes.

Basically, you have the regens all the way through to Tennant. There's a Series 4 episode where he's shot and begins to regenerate, he channels the energy into his previously severed hand and stays Tennant. It's a cheeky fake out at the time but that was later retconned by Moffat to count as a regeneration used up.

Then he retconned the Doctors history to include John Hurts Doctor between McGann and Ecclestones. That bumped some of them along a number as well meaning his regens now go:

1-Hartnell
    2-Troughton
    3-Pertwee
    4-T.Baker
    5-Davison
    6-C.Baker
    7-McCoy
    8-McGann
    9-Hurt
    10-Eccleston
    11-Tennant
    12-Tennant
    13-Smith

Then they did a quick last minute thing in Smiths last episode where the Time Lords gave the Doctor another 13 incarnations of which Capaldi is the first and Whittaker will be the second