The Story of Virtuality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Story of Virtuality

Watched this today, it's a fantastic video about the Virtuality company and equipment:

Ever since I laid eyes on these wondrous cyberpunk like machines in the 90s, I was captivated. Huge pod like booths, connected to massive, bright headsets se...

I recall playing a Virtuality game at Butlins circa 1992. It was a mech game where you wandered about a shaded-polygonal city blasting other mechs. What I recall more than anything else was the immersion of it; after removing the headset it took me a few seconds to realise that I was in an arcade in Butlins. It was almost an out-of-body experience!

What you may find interesting is that was my first and last experience of VR.

Comment

I used a Virtuality setup at the motor show years ago. Ford were using to promote the then new Galaxy people carrier. It was pretty dire even at the time. Low framerate and untextured polygons. But you could see the potential. I think Virtuality were too far ahead of their time. The technology required for decent VR was years away other than the real-time CG stuff military contractors were making like Lockheed, GE, Martin Marinetta etc. But that stuff was funny money and stuff like 3dfx abs PowerVR was still a few years out.
      Also the headset was huge. And while that’s gotten a lot better the screens and lenses still have a way to go at a price point peeps can afford.

Comment

It's cool that he[Nostalgia Nerd] got to play the original arcade setup. I remember playing that arena game in an arcade; it was pretty good. Brought back memories seeing it in action again.

Comment

Working...
        X