X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spurs will walk it.

Comment

Originally posted by EJG1980 View Post
      Edit: and it should have been 5-1 as the penalty at the end was nonsense, or, I should say, the new rule that deemed it a penalty is a nonsense. Thankfully it didn't cost us anything today but I'd have been livid if that had cost us points.
      Well that didn't take long. What absolute ****. So it's now handball if someone heads it onto your arm from a foot away, when you're jumping five feet in the air, with your back to the ball. Do they have to jump with their arms at their sides now? I can't even joke about jumping with your hands behind your back because apparently that would actually count anyway!

We were excellent in the first half, the only blot on the copybook being just one goal to show for it. Could have and should have had at least two, three or four. And if Newcastle had equalised at the end with a well worked goal, a long range thunderbolt, or scrambling it in from a corner, I'd have said we only have ourselves to blame with all the chances we missed (and despite playing worse we missed a few in the second half too).

But to lose out to, as Jamie Carragher put it, a complete and utter joke of a handball... gah. This is already ruining multiple matches and we're barley a couple of weeks into the season.

Comment

I was just going to post myself some 'ripe' comments too. Listened to most of it on the BBC and even when it went into Fergie time I thought no way were we going to give away a goal. I go out of the room and when I come back expecting a 1-0 win to Spurs my jaw hits the floor.

The circumstance: even worse. Exactly as you said in the earlier post and what Alan Shearer and the others were complaining about with the current interpretation of the hand ball laws only yesterday on MotD. We woz robbed.

Spurs should have been walking it with the number of chances they had, particularly in the first half, that is a lesson to learn but it still seems hugely unfair.

One point is better than nothing but the loss of two points is the real story.
        Last edited by fallenangle; 27-09-2020, 15:27.

Comment

And as the icing on the cake, Jose has just confirmed that Son was taken off at halftime due to a hamstring injury and expects him to be out for "a while". I think I'm going to lie down in a darkened room for a bit.

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
          Spurs should have been walking it with the number of chances they had, particularly in the first half, that is a lesson to learn but it still seems hugely unfair.
          Yup, if we’d been pegged back by any kind of legitimate goal, then we only had ourselves to blame.

But as Mourinho said after the match, despite dropping off attacking wise in the second half, we still controlled the match and Newcastle barely had a sniff and got nowhere near our goal. So we were doing what was needed to professionally see out the match and get the win, and it was taken away by farce.

Back to my darkened room!
          Last edited by EJG1980; 27-09-2020, 15:43.

Comment

Having watched it now on MotD......................................words almost fail me.

Comment

Yeah there have been some bizarre decisions already this season. Thing is, I can't complain about the three penalties that Leicester got and none were for handball!
              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Excellent result even if 'just' on penalties.

Spurs sounded if they'd gone missing in the first half but second half they woke up and deserved the equalizer.

Hell, that penalty shoot out was tense just listening to it but Chelsea blinked first.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                  Yeah there have been some bizarre decisions already this season. Thing is, I can't complain about the three penalties that Leicester got and none were for handball!
                  Great start to the season for your lot, three wins out of three and putting five past Man City away! I wondered if there might be a bit of a hangover after missing out on top four right at the death last season, but it looks like Leicester have got the bit between their teeth.

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                  Excellent result even if 'just' on penalties.

Spurs sounded if they'd gone missing in the first half but second half they woke up and deserved the equalizer.

Hell, that penalty shoot out was tense just listening to it but Chelsea blinked first.
                  The first 20/25 minutes was poor and we let Chelsea have far too much of the ball, but their only good chance and goal still came from a mistake from us. After that we settled down a bit and while Chelsea still had more of the ball, we then had the two best chances to score in the remainder of the half.

Really, really good performance in the second half. Had we won it in normal time it would have been well deserved, and had we had Kane on for the whole of that half to give us a proper front man focal point (though I completely understand why he only got the last 20 mins) I think we would have scored more than once.

I thought Reguilón had a very good debut, especially after the disappointment of his mistakes leading to Chelsea opening the scoring. Credit to him that he didn't let it phase him at all and he was one of the best players on the pitch after that, bombing down the wing at every opportunity and putting in the cross for the equaliser. He's really fun to watch, exciting addition to the team.

In terms of finishing that was probably one of the best penalty shoot outs I've ever seen. First nine all clinical (though there was one I thought Lloris would have got to if he hadn't taken a tiny movement the wrong way first) and then even Mount's miss wasn't too far away, clipping the post. But we're through, totally deserved the win, and a great chance to win a trophy, just gotta win three more matches, easy

Comment

Strange sort of match tonight. For large parts of it we weren’t playing that great, okay but quite sloppy in midfield and defence, yet when we turned it on we had the class and quality up front to score seven goals (and could have had a few more)!

Another couple of stupid “handball” penalties, one for us and one against us, but luckily they didn’t really affect the way the match went. Into the group stage, which is all that matters.

Thought Steven Bergwijn had a very good game tonight, his best of the season. He’s been a little off it so far this season, but he played well against Chelsea and stepped it up again tonight. Deserved a goal, it was the only thing missing.

Away from the match, we look like we’re on the verge of signing an actual striker! Carlos Vinícius looks like he’s on the way from Benfica on a loan with an option to buy. A great deal for us as we get to “try before we buy” so if he flops, he goes back to Benfica, if he does well, we make it permanent.

Nice draw in the League Cup too, we have Stoke in the quarter final. An added bonus that Everton vs Man Utd and Man City vs Arsenal means that a couple of the top sides will be eliminated.
                    Last edited by EJG1980; 01-10-2020, 22:39.

Comment

Certainly it will not be an easy game against Stoke but it is a game we should win. Assuming we get through chances are we're going to get a Man City or Man U in the semi-final so we're going to be properly tested before we even get to Wembley that's for sure.

Comment

Decent draw for our Europa League group:

Tottenham
                        Ludogorets (Bulgaria)
                        LASK (Austria)
                        Antwerp (Belgium)
                        Last edited by EJG1980; 02-10-2020, 12:17.

Comment

Thanks for the highlights of the MH match - HK's third goal was an exquisitely executed team effort, with Bergwijn's foot control of the ball on left wing delightful. Other very good goals too and the MH one included. No goalie can stop a shot like that.

Yes, very decent draw for the EL group. No obvious big hitters - Antwerp currently sixth in the Belgian top league, LASK third in the Austrian top league and Ludogorets top of the Bulgarian league. I'd think none obviously are more of a threat than any of the others but you can be sure Spurs will make heavy weather of some of the games. Nothing is certain.

Comment

Can I say whisky tango foxtrot right now?! Past WH managing to easily beat the Foxes too...
                            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

That'll do

Superb performance, especially after making the worst possible start giving away a penalty after thirty seconds. Great response with the instant equaliser and after that we dominated the match. Even though it was only 1-2 when they went down to ten men, we had been really hammering them at that point and more goals were coming whether they went down a man or not. I think we had a ten minute spell (at 11 v 11) where we had about eight unanswered shots.

A couple of pundits mentioned Lamela possibly being sent off too but the yellow for him and the red for Martial was correct I think, as Lamela pushed Martial in the chest whereas Martial went for the face, and you're always going off if you deliberately make contact with someone's face.

Lots of great performances: Aurier and Reguilon were excellent down the wings, Hojbjerg (who I think is really starting to hit his stride, the pass to Aurier for the fifth was bgreat) and Sissoko controlled the midfield, Ndombele was his usual creative self picking out passes that lots of players don't see, Kane and Son were superb up front. Kane is such a complete forward now, he was a joy to watch today, the quick thinking for the goal that put us 1-2 up **chef's kiss**

So, yeah, a fairly good day

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                              Can I say whisky tango foxtrot right now?! Past WH managing to easily beat the Foxes too...
                              Yeah I was surprised by the Leicester result, though West Ham did beat Wolves 4-0 last week so they seem to be in good form, but still. Although those two wins have come while Moyes is away isolating, so once his dour face returns they might start losing again

Blimey, and as I write, Liverpool have just gone 2-0 down to Villa. Something in the water today!

Comment

Lads, It's Tottenham....

Despite Lamela's antics, that was a great performance. Should have been 3-1 up before the red and took over after that.

Much will be made of Utd's defensive mess, but Spurs deserve better than for the match to be overshadowed by that.

Comment

Working...
                                X