No announcement yet.

Tottenham Hotspur FC 2013/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh wow, what a game - could have gone better, as we could have scored 5-6 if we'd gone for it and that would have been lovely!

Tongue firmly in cheek there, don't worry. What an atmosphere - hope you were there EJG, singing along!

Can't wait for Sunday. As you've both said, we have to be at our most UnSpursy and win the game, putting Arsenal under pressure for Monday. And then we have to be really supportive of the new, oil dollar funded Newcastle and be delighted that the takeover happened this year and not next!

Mention one player from last night - Sanchez. Groaned inwardly when I say Romero was injured, as that made us look weak all of a sudden. But Sanchez did all he had to do and it's worth mentioning it was his pass into the penalty box, than Kane (kind of) controlled to set up the third.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyDA View Post
      What an atmosphere - hope you were there EJG, singing along!
      I missed it as I haven't been going this season as I have a family member who is in the high risk category if they catch covid, so we've been playing it safe with the stuff we do. Luckily I haven't been out of pocket as I was able to sell my season ticket on the ticket exchange for all but one of the matches, so I got 95% of the season ticket price back.

With most people now being multi-jabbed and hopefully things staying close to normal, I'll be back to going every week next season

Haven't been totally Spurs free though, went to three of the Europa Conference matches earlier in the season as the capacity was limited to under half the stadium so it felt a bit safer. I'm also going to the Norwich match next weekend with my younger brother, staying in a "match view" room at the Holiday Inn that's built into the corner of their stadium (which we try to do whenever Norwich are in the PL as it's great fun). It'll be even more fun if, when all the full time whistles have blown, we're in 4th place!

Oh wow, what a game - could have gone better, as we could have scored 5-6 if we'd gone for it and that would have been lovely!

Tongue firmly in cheek there, don't worry.

Mention one player from last night - Sanchez. Groaned inwardly when I say Romero was injured, as that made us look weak all of a sudden. But Sanchez did all he had to do and it's worth mentioning it was his pass into the penalty box, than Kane (kind of) controlled to set up the third.
      Yup, can't argue at all with the second half approach, Conte got it spot on. No need to pump up the goal difference as we were already 12 ahead, just keep the ball and conserve as much energy as possible for Sunday. And even then we still missed a few chances to add to the score.

Hopefully too Conte's early subbing off of Son will prove to be very clever. You could see how gutted Son was to come off as he wants that golden boot, but now we should have a rested and extra pumped up Son even more desperate to score on Sunday. Might make the difference against a Burnley side who will be defending for their lives.

Haha, yeah, I think there was a mass collective "Yikes, no Romero!" when the team was announced, but Sanchez came in and did very well. Conte has confirmed that Romero won't be fit for the final two matches either, so Sanchez being involved in a great night like that should give him a nice confidence boost for those matches.

Comment

Okay, you can all unclench now

Nerves shredded but all that mattered today was getting three points, no matter what the match was like. Glad it was an early kick off now as I’ll need the rest of the day for my heart to stop pumping! Fingers crossed for Monday now.

Comment

Yes, not exactly convincing but second to last hurdle, thankfully, cleared and as you say we now have to hope Arsenal drop points. Then it really will be be game on.

I feel it bit sorry for Burnley but everything I've read suggest the penalty decision was correct so they can have no complaints of big club refereeing bias or any such nonsense. I don't think they're going down now anyway - the current bottom three look to be the losers this season. With Everton only needing a point for safety (better GD) and Burnley with a game in hand over Leeds I think that end of the table is finished.

However if Chelsea lose against Leicester and Watford (that is going to happen ) we can still end up in third. More clenching likely needing to be endured.

Comment

Yup, as long as you get the three points it's all that matters. It reminded me of when we came 4th in 2010 and our final home game of the season was a nervy 1-0 win against Bolton (with a lovely long range thunderbolt from Tom Huddlestone getting us the three points). Nobody will care whether today was a 1-0 grind or a 10-0 masterclass if we end up in 4th place.

Even though it wasn't the greatest display I still think the players did well in the circumstances. Tough match against Liverpool, a huge midweek match against Arsenal, then less than 72 hours before playing this match; no way they were going to be feeling in peak condition coming into this match but they did what was needed to grind out three points in a must win situation.

The penalty was indeed a correct decision. It was a big slice of luck for us in the sense that it was a random hoof into the air by Sanchez, which could have gone anywhere but luckily went in the direction of their player's arm. That arm though was shoulder height and fully extended (I have no idea why either as he wasn't even jumping and so using it for balance or leverage, he was just stood still) and a ball hitting an arm in that position will be given as handball virtually every time.

Edit: if you're looking for something to pass 20 minutes on a drizzly Sunday evening, there's a video up on YouTube of the end of season lap around the pitch, and some nice interviews with the likes of Lucas and Sonny.

Last edited by EJG1980; 15-05-2022, 18:39.

Comment

Well, that was nervy! All that mattered today were the three points, and we just about got them!

There were some tired legs out there - Son especially looked knackered from about the half hour mark. I’d have liked to have seen Bergwijn come in for him with a decent amount of time left - sadly it looks like he’s on his way out as Conte never gives him more than five mins at the end of a match. Still, in Antonio I most definitely trust, so he must rate Lucas higher than Bergwijn.

So we’re all massive Geordies tomorrow, I guess? We just need them to get something, although should they win then we would just need to draw against Norwich to finish 4th (on goal difference should Arsenal then beat Everton).

But so long as Arsenal lose or draw tomorrow then it’s in our hands for next weekend. And we should be able to go to the team that’s finished bottom by some distance & win, especially if we think we’re worthy of UCL football!

Comment

Dear Tottenham Hotspur First Team Squad and Coaching Staff,

You have one task on Sunday and that is not to **** it up.

Sincerely,

Every Spurs fan

Comment

Ahhh, there speaks the voice of an experienced Tottenham fan

As you said though, if we can’t go to the bottom placed team in the league and not lose then we probably shouldn’t be in the Champions League anyway.

I think this is where having Conte in charge will help though as you expect he will be drumming any hint of complacency out of the players for the next week, and getting them into full on ultra professional mode.

Comment

We must have really messed with Arsenal's mindset when we beat them because to go down to Newcastle 2-0 when your CL spot is at stake is more than just bad luck.

Ours to lose now and I was going to say exactly the same thing about our final match. I want Spurs to rip them a new one and take that fourth spot with both hands not limp home with just a draw even though that is all we need.

Comment

Well done Tottenham. And well done Sonny - fantastic second goal today to get the (share of) the golden boot. Wonderful.

What a turnaround. I remember watching the 3-0 home defeat by Man Utd and the atmosphere was absolutely toxic - even Kane was getting booed, although that was more likely due to him stropping around like a spoiled child on £250k a week, all because he didn't get his dream move.

And now to the summer. Can we convince Conte to extend his contract, to stop the rumours? Will Levy & Joe Lewis actually realise that with Conte this is a genuine chance of muscling in on City, Chelsea and Liverpool, and support him in the transfer market? Time will tell, but Conte will be off if he doesn't get the right signs, classing his 4th as a wonderful achievement and the pinnacle of Tottenham's ambitions/finances. Hopefully this won't be the case.

Unlucky Arsenal.....

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                        I want Spurs to rip them a new one and take that fourth spot with both hands not limp home with just a draw even though that is all we need.
                        Done

Nigh on a perfect end to the season. So happy for Son that he got to take home that “golden foot” (as Conte called it ) trophy, he’s been brilliant all season, even on his rare off days he’d still often pop up with a goal or assist.

Thank you Spurs, I get to enjoy the summer!! COYS!

Comment

Exactly the score I was hoping for - great end to the season indeed.

That second goal of Son's was an absolutely beauty and what won him the "Golden Foot". The cherry on the cake.

So depressing a few months ago but it all came good.

Congrats to MC and commiserations to Liverpool - our 1-1 draw is what did for their Premiership aspirations and gave us a point out of a game we had reasonable expectations of losing.

Its been a very entertaining contest one way or another for the whole season.

Comment

What a turnaround. I remember watching the 3-0 home defeat by Man Utd and the atmosphere was absolutely toxic - even Kane was getting booed, although that was more likely due to him stropping around like a spoiled child on £250k a week, all because he didn't get his dream move.
                            A real sliding doors moment too, with everyone expecting the losing manager of that match to get sacked. Imagine if we'd won, Solskjaer had been sacked, and Man Utd had hired Conte. Doesn't bare thinking about! As many people have joked, that loss to Man Utd has turned out to be our best result of the season.

And now to the summer. Can we convince Conte to extend his contract, to stop the rumours? Will Levy & Joe Lewis actually realise that with Conte this is a genuine chance of muscling in on City, Chelsea and Liverpool, and support him in the transfer market? Time will tell, but Conte will be off if he doesn't get the right signs, classing his 4th as a wonderful achievement and the pinnacle of Tottenham's ambitions/finances. Hopefully this won't be the case.
                            I quite like Levy and think he's (overall) done a good job for Spurs, and gets more criticism than is often warranted, while fully accepting of course that he has made some big cock-ups over the years (but it's rare you find any owner with perfect record).

I think he's had some bad luck with timing in the past, when the team on the pitch has peaked and needed a bit of extra investment at the exact time that circumstances off the pitch needed the club to be a bit prudent with its money.

So having said all that, I don't think there are any excuses not to back Conte fully this summer. It's an unexpected golden opportunity that has fallen in our lap, and it would be the height of foolishness to pass it up. Just look at the impact he made on a team that had been caught in a malaise for the past two and a half years:

2019/20: 1.55 points per game
                            2020/21: 1.63 ppg
                            2021/22: 1.50 ppg (up to Nuno's final game)
                            2021/22: 2.00 ppg (from Conte's first game)

A clear and instant improvement with Conte in charge, and that's from being appointed mid-way through a season, with the club in disarray, and then adding only two players in January. Imagine what he can do with a full pre-season of training, a settled and happy squad, and a big summer transfer window. And I think the club will back Conte this summer, because I just cannot see anyone looking at what he's done so far and not wanting him to take it further.

TLDR: give Conte all the things

Comment

A nice video from the club of every Son Premier League goal this season:

Watch all 23 of Heung-Min Son's Premier League goals as the South Korean won the Golden Boot for the 2021/22 season!SUBSCRIBE to ensure you don’t miss a vide...

Comment

Really enjoyed that ^ !

Some incredible goals and the assists from various other players showed Spurs at their best too. Still love that flick on header to Son from HK against Aston Villa. The way he looked for where Son was before he even had the ball was perfect, right out of the Teddy Sheringham manual of strike partnerships.

Comment

Working...
                                X