Tottenham Hotspur FC 2013/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyDA View Post
    Should Harry have the kind of problem which means he misses next weekend, but is back for Chelsea on April 1st, that could work in our favour in terms of getting a rest as he'll be run into the ground for England in two friendly matches.
    Looks like he's going to miss the Chelsea game as Spurs have tweeted that, following today's scan, Kane is expected to return to first team training "next month", so even if he's back training on the first he probably wouldn't play due to lack of match fitness.

It's a bit ambiguous though as "next month" could be as soon as 1st April or as late as 30th April. The former and he'll miss 2, 3 or 4 matches, the latter and he'll only be back for a couple of matches right at the end of the season.

I can understand the ambiguity though, even if they're confident of an earlyish return there's always the chance of an unexpected setback, and then people will complain about him being back later than the club said he would be.

Edit: an article in The Guardian, which carries the Spurs quote about him returning to training next month, says he's expected to be ready to play in four weeks time and his likely first match back would be at Wembley against Man City.

That wouldn't be too bad, he'd miss the quarter-final and league matches against Chelsea and Stoke, but would be back for most of the league run-in and any potential (fingers crossed!) cup matches. He might possibly miss the match against Newcastle too, depending on what the rescheduled date ends up being.
    Last edited by EJG1980; 14-03-2018, 15:05.

Comment

Definitely a shame that he's set to miss the Chelsea game, but should he be back for Man City, I guess we'd take it as that would just be two league games. From what highlights I saw of the Bournemouth game (plus various match reports) I thought the mix of Dele, Son, Lamela and Eriksen worked well, with plenty of rotation. Add to that Moura and, if players perform, you'd hope that the same kind of performance would give us enough to beat Swansea on Saturday and Stoke in the league.

Chelsea is looking like a 'just don't get beaten' game. We'd still be five points clear, albeit with the City game to come. Lose, and then lose against City, and they could be ahead of us by the time Kane is back. Although we're ahead of Liverpool now, I can't see us staying there if we drop points to Chelsea and City - unless the Champions League plays havoc for them.

How's the new Season Ticket pricing looking for you Mr EJG? Much of an increase?

Also, I booked myself a ticket for the Leicester game yesterday, as it seemed to be selling out fast - just in case anyone reading is thinking of going (and isn't a season ticket holder).

Comment

Originally posted by TonyDA View Post
        How's the new Season Ticket pricing looking for you Mr EJG? Much of an increase?
        My season ticket at WHL was in the middle of the north upper, about half way up the stand, and that was £880. The same position now is £950. That's not too bad considering that for the last three seasons at WHL the ticket prices were frozen, a £70 increase over four years, could be worse.

Having said that, I'm going to get my season ticket with my brother and we'd rather sit in the lower tier behind one of the goals as that's the best place for atmosphere. Most likely the single tier south stand, but the north should be quite good too as then you're next to the away fans. All those tickets are somewhere between £925 and £990, iirc. As it's a single tier stand we wouldn't mind if we ended up quite high up in the South either, but we're aiming for near the bottom, but not right at the very front. Depends what's still available when it's our turn to purchase.

Comment

That's the way to do it: 0-3 at Swansea and into the FA Cup semi-finals. Like the last time HK was out for several weeks we didn't have much problem still scoring goals as others stepped up to the mark and took over, particularly Eriksen. Surprise, surprise that's what happened again today. Good stuff.

Might be fun if we get Leicester in the final and we can pay them back for ruining our best chance at winning the Ist Div/Premiership in 50 years . Who we get in the semi-final though, looking at the options, I would not be overly worried even if it was MU or Chelsea as I know Spurs can have either of them on a good day.
          Last edited by fallenangle; 18-03-2018, 00:03.

Comment

Yup, was expecting it to be a lot tougher today given the very good run of form Swansea have been on since changing their manager, but it was an extremely comfortable match.

Completely dominant for nearly the whole 90 minutes aside from a few minutes at the start of the second half when Vorm pulled off a great save (excellent Lloris impression, nothing to do for 89:50 seconds but pulls off the one great save when needed) and Sanchez cleared a dangerous cross with a fantastic defensive header. That was pretty much all Swansea had in the whole match.

Eriksen and Lamela the stars of the show, both showing off excellent vision, skill and finishing. Eriksen was my man of the match but Lamela wasn't too far behind; there are very few attacking players who put in the donkey work that Lamela does, two of our goals coming from moves started by Lamela putting in a tackle to win the ball back from Swansea. Son was unlucky not to get a goal, really marginal offside decision to rule out a lovely strike, but you can't complain when decisions that tight go against you.

Fingers crossed we can end our run of losing in the FA Cup semi-final. Still, as the well known old saying goes, eighth time lucky

Comment

A very easy win really, which was a surprise give Swansea's recent revival - however, losing the two Ayews hampered their attacking threat.

I also think we can beat anyone remaining in the competition; however, as much as I'd love to beat Chelsea at some point, I also can't face yet another Wembley defeat by them so am hoping for a Leicester win tomorrow!

It's also been funny seeing the beginning of the 'it's unfair that Spurs will be playing at home in the Semi and Final, should they get there' discussion, which started during the game today. This despite the fact that half the tickets available to supporters (rather than FA members, hangers on, corporate etc etc) will go to the other team....

Comment

Man Utd in the Semis, which means a pleasant change from losing to Chelsea at that stage. Of course, it raises the possibility of beating Chelsea to a top four spot AND beating them in the FA Cup Final, which would be a lovely way to end this 'Spurs need to show maturity to win trophies and big games' stuff. As a Spurs fan of too many years, I'm now fearing (and thinking of putting some money on) Chelsea finishing 4th and beating us in the final....

Comment

I think we could learn a lot from the way Leicester City played in the second half of their game today if we meet Chelsea in the final. The first half was a lesson in what not to do but when they started attacking and pressing Chelsea back into their half they were bossing the game. But for one mistake Chelsea could at least have been taken to penalties.

As it is we have MU in the semi-final. I'd have preferred that to have been the final but with MU not being the attractive footballing side of their past now I think a Chelsea/Spurs final will be the better game to watch. We still have to deal with MU though, an undoubtedly hard task and I'm not discounting Southampton fluking it and beating Chelsea either.
                  Last edited by fallenangle; 18-03-2018, 23:45.

Comment

Agreed with TonyDA, I'm glad it's not yet another Chelsea semi-final; even if we hadn't lost to them a few times it'd have been nice to have something different! So a repeat of our 1962 semi-final win vs Man Utd followed by a repeat of our 1967 final win over Chelsea? Easy peasy really

Fingers crossed that it's finally our year to lift the cup again.

Comment

The semi-final time and date has been confirmed as 17:15 on Saturday 21st April. The match will be live on BBC One.

Comment

Hope it is a good match, certainly looking forward to it.

Also some news going around that Toby Alderweireld is not going to renew his Spurs contract and if he wants to leave in the summer Spurs won't stand in his way if they are offered an appropriate amount.

Comment

Apparently (large dose of salt and all that) Toby verbally agreed to a new £110,000 per week contract but when it came to signing it his agent suddenly demanded more money and a release clause. Poch not impressed as going back on your word is a no-no for him and it caused his opinion of Toby to drop.

(If true) £110K per week is a more than fair offer I think; supposedly the likes of Kompany and Otamendi at Man City and Luiz at Chelsea are on £120-130K per week, so it's not like he'd be getting hugely less than what the super rich clubs are offering.

I hope it can be sorted out and he signs a new contract and stays, but if he does leave I wouldn't be as upset about as I would have been a year or so ago. Toby's missed most of this season and our defence hasn't fallen off a cliff.

Is Davinson Sanchez as good as Toby? No. But considering that he's 21, has moved to a new league and new country, and it's only his second season in top flight European football, he's had an excellent debut season that even a seasoned pro would be proud of. Slotted right in and doesn't look out of place at all. I think he's going to be fantastic with a couple more years experience under his belt.

Comment

Excellent new drone footage of the stadium, filmed yesterday:

Plus my own little creation, a time lapse I made of the cable net roof being lifted into place, a short and long version depending on your attention span

Comment

Fingers crossed for the game tomorrow against Chelsea. Should be a good one as it could determine our and their position in or out of the top four at the end of the season.

Comment

Feels like a 'mustn't lose' rather than a 'must win' game for us - would take a draw if offered it as we'd still be five ahead with seven games to go. However, win and we'd be eight ahead and only two behind Liverpool, with a game in hand. Suddenly, anywhere in the Top 4 (well, apart from 1st ) would still be possible.

So, basically I'd like a win please, but will settle for a draw.

Comment

Working...
                                X