What MP3 player do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello all,

I hope someone can help. I'm looking to get a portable device that has expandable memory, as a xmas present. iPods and Sansa clips are out.

Any other suggestions?

Thank You

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
      I use my Sony Xperia Z for music. The main issue is that, due to the seals to keep it waterproof, you have to uncover the headphone Jack every time.
      Same here. I just use the internal memory for music and the memory card for storing pictures and video.

I know what you mean about the waterproof seal as well. Apart from the battery life, that's the only real flaw I've found with the phone.

Comment

Ibasso DX100.

Had a redwine 5th gen ipod before that...safe to say the dx100 leaves it in the dust.

Comment

For around ?600 it bloody well better do an all!

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
            For around ?600 it bloody well better do an all!
            I wanted to spend about ?300 originally, but there was a huge gap in the market when i bought mine...you know good dac/headphone amp/lossless playback.

Now with the DX50, FiiO X3 etc that gap has been filled.

Some good portable music players at the moment.

But i dont regret buying the dx100 the sound is pure magic.

Comment

I should hope you aren't using MP3s though. FLAC player?

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                mostly FLAC, only a few compilation albums are 320kbps mp3.

Both sound amazing. i wouldnt know about less than 320kbps though....wouldn't want to even try

Comment

I need to get a new MP3 player. I had an iPod but I lost it down the back of the car seat one summer and it got too hot too many times and although it turns on, no sound comes out.

My car doesn't have an MP3 CD reader or USB slot and I really need to get rid of the bags of discs with MP3 CDs in them out the garage.
                  I want to archive them onto a device which I can in turn plug into something like this:

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                    Is the difference that great? I have never got too high because of storage issues. If it's worth going higher quality of FLAC I might have to.

Comment

I can't tell the difference between 320 MP3 and flac when using an Arcam DAC and B&W P3 'phones. I can tell the difference between using the Arcam DAC and the built in PC one/iPod one/Macbook one whether I'm using MP3 or FLAC. In conclusion 320k mps3 are as good as I need. But I'm getting on a bit so my ears probably aren't as good as some on here.

Comment

Depends on the quality of your output device I think. With decent or better speakers it's worth it. Even with my crappy headphones I can usually tell the difference.

I play everything using my old Nexus S as I can use it as a mini tablet/camera/pdf reader as well if necessary.

Comment

I use a Samsung Galaxy S2. Nothing amazing.

Comment

There are many variables. Production is one of them, as are your hardware and also the kind of music.

For something like metal I would find it hard to tell the difference between mp3 or FLAC but for female vocals it is really noticeable with my setup.

FLAC is the same as CD quality basically. If you want to do some comparisons just give a CD a whirl versus a mp3 file. Though there is some argument that FLAC is superior to CD because it is stores on more reliable media in terms of being read. CDs are kinda flimsy after all.

I haven't used mp3 for a good 5 years now personally.

Comment

If you want to sample something that really brings out the quality in your system, try SACD rips of albums like brothers in arms by dire straits.

Brilliant quality if your system can handle it.

Comment

Blasphemy! Brothers in arms should be played on vinyl!

Comment

Working...
                                X