Freedom Fighters - Xbox - initial impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freedom Fighters - Xbox - initial impressions

Just what the doctor ordered whilst i am suffering with head cold/chest cold (why don't we just call it flu like all real men do) - another squad based action game to play on my Xbox.

Squad based games are something which i love - starting from Aliens on my old Amstrad, through to Dungeon Master then Hired Guns on my Amiga, Rainbow 6 and its sequels on the PC and finally onto the green box with the delightful Conflict Desert Storm and the not so delightful Brute Force .... even the worst examples of the genre have given me hours of entertainment. So to say i was looking forward to sampling what IO Interactive (who just so happen to be the developers of one of my fav nextgen games - Hitman 2) could do with the genre is putting it lightly.

FF starts with a cinematic opening which sets the tone perfectly (note to the pedantic fans out there - the opening few frames reminds me of the opening frames to MGS where Snake is swimming towards the Island where the nuclear base is, except instead of cutting away to a swimming Snake it cuts away to a few Soviet nuclear submarines). the basic premise of the storyline is that the Soviets managed to beat the US to developing the Atom bomb - and they dropped it on Berlin to finish the 2nd World War. Since then the Soviets have been in the ascendency with them claiming control of most of the globe including S.America (this is told to you during the opening cinematic).

The game 'proper' starts with you being in a truck going that famous bridge (dunno the name of it but seen it in countless movies) towards Manhanten. You are a plumber and you are going to a callout job with your mate. On getting to the apartment were you have been called to fix the pipes you notice that the door is slightly ajar - so you head into the bathroom to start the work. Suddenly a group of Soviet soldiers burst through the door looking for the resident of the apartment who just so happens to be a spokeswoman for an anti-Soviet group - they arrest your mate without knowing that you are in the bathroom ...... you take control of the character as soon as this happens and you need to escape from the apartment

sorry to post spoilers in the above paragraph, but its the only way to build the scene for those who have let FF slip past their radar

the graphics are similar to Hitman 2's in terms of character models and enviroments ... though i would say that FF has a superior feel to it in that the engine runs a lot more smoothly than it did before (i think both games are using IO's Glacier engine) - there are some good ragdoll physics being thrown around when you kill enemies or are yourself killed.

Controls are easy to pick up - movement is via the left analogue stick whilst the right controls the camera - clicking down on the left stick brings up an hybrid fps/behind the shoulder view for better aiming whilst clicking down on the right stick brings up your inventory. Squad commands are issued via the X.Y and B buttons whilst shooting is via the right shoulder button and the left jumps.

the levels are linear to start with but the further into it you get the more options in various strategies you can develop. without going into depth (to keep the spoilers down) the early levels you can run through by yourself but you 'need' to use the squad system to have any chance of succeeding in the later levels

going onto the squad system - whereas in CDS/BF you could control any of your squad members when you wanted in FF you control one character and command the others to do what you want - the commands aren't the biggest list available but this doesnt detract from the gameplay in the least. you earn charisma for successfully completing missions and you use this charisma to recruit squad members - i think you can have a maximum of 12 members of your squad at any time

now onto what is the thing which can kill a game in this genre or lift it up to the highest heights - the AI of both squad and enemies. this is where FF excells, the AI is topnotch. enemies will use cover/covering fire to attack you and try different tactics during firefights (like flanking you etc) .. they will also any moves which are available to you - ie say you use a bin near a window to enter that window (by standing on the bin) and then going through the building to reach a snipers perch then the enemies can do the exact same thing. the squad AI is just as good with your squad members using cover well, and firing any gun emplacements etc that they might come across

sadly the multiplayer game is lacking - there is zero co-op mode available (the MP game is a strictly deathmatch type situation)

any questions then don't fail to ask

camps

I'm still undecided about the game. I played the PC demo and thought it was quite good but not compelling enough to make me want it immediately.

I'll pick it up when it hits the bargain bins because I don't see this one performing too well even though it's from IO. I think the timing of the release is far too close to other big name games on the horizon and is likely to be overshadowed.

Nice review

Comment

Got the Xbox one this morning, and I completely agree with the intro. Very MGS; really stylish. The music is superb too, perhaps better than Hitman2.

I didn't get anywhere in the actual game (out the first room), but having played the demo multiple times I already know I love the game.

Probably the biggest surprise of the year so far, this is just pure fun.

Comment

Cheers for the impressions camps. Got more excited now after reading your words. I ordered my copy from play.com yesterday. Hopes to have it next week.

Comment

I think it's a bit crap actually - it seems to be another save-fail-retry-fail-retry-pass-save-fail-you get the picture games. Very little thought, even less skill.

One for the bargain bin

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Marklar
            I think it's a bit crap actually - it seems to be another save-fail-retry-fail-retry-pass-save-fail-you get the picture games. Very little thought, even less skill.

One for the bargain bin
            Half-life can be described likewise... Did you like that game?

Not having a dig, just want to know whether you like any game of that type.

Comment

Yeah, Half-life is cool - there is some skill involved in that, rather than trial and error.

I like Brute Force though, again 'cos of the "skill" involved in playing and also other stuff like Ghost Recon. Something like Splinter Cell, OTOH, suffers and I didn't enjoy that half as much as I thought I would BUT Metal Gear Solid is sound as a pound, so there! Less trial and error, more skill.

FF suffers, like Splinter Cell so I can't be bothered

Comment

Oh this thread is going here is it, posted some impressions of FF yesterday in the PAL forum. Oh well, can't be arsed repeating myself, so I'll simply say - it's great.

Comment

sadly the multiplayer game is lacking - there is zero co-op mode available (the MP game is a strictly deathmatch type situation)
                  Was going rent this, probably won't bother now then, what a let down.

Comment

Yeah the lack of coop mode was a huge oversite by the developers. I'm sure at one point i must have been planned, but I don't think any reason for dropping it is good enough. If it is a case of framerate, then the graphics should have been toned down. Co-op mode would have made this game a classic.

Comment

Probably taken out to meet an unsympathetic Publisher's deadline, as is the case with so many 'hobbled' games these days.

Sounds like an enjoyable game though, and as the single-player looks to remain strong throughout def one I'll be investing in.

Comment

So far I'm up to the 3rd chapter and am enjoying it quite a lot, though a few things have been annoying me. The AI is for the most part well behaved, but occasionally your squad mates just don't shoot enemies right next to them. The enemies themselves are able to climb over objects and locate you well, but every so often you'll get a lone trooper that is ignoring the huge firefight that is going on right next to him.

The squad mechanics are strong, but the simplicity of instructing individual mates lets it down slightly. For example if you have 3 on your side, and you instruct the first to use a gun turret, and the second two to follow. If then you want one of the people with you to scout ahead, the only way is to bring the guy off of the gun turret and instruct him instead. Orders are either given as an entire group or one at a time, in order. It isn't a huge problem, but it breaks down some of the freedom that works elsewhere.

I adored the demo of this game, playing it many times setting myself various challenges, such as completing without any fellow fighters, or that plus the use of no medi packs. From playing the demo so much, I had very high hopes for a game I previously knew nothing about, however the end result is every so slightly disappointing. It's difficult to put a finger on it, but somehow the action feels more frustrating in the final game than it did in the demo. I don't want to put people off as this is worth picking up - the intense fightfights are among the best seen in a while - but for some reason I feel slightly let down.

Don't think I'm very far into the game, but so far I'd say this is a solid 7/10

Comment

Look spring - can it be changed? I cannot play unless you can make the right stick inverted

Comment

Originally posted by mr_sockochris
                            Look spring - can it be changed? I cannot play unless you can make the right stick inverted

Don't worry, you can invert it! I wouldn't be playing it now if you couldn't!

On another note, I am trying to get this on my HDD, as my disc drive is starting to make some disturbing noises. Thing is boxplorer only copies about 2.5 of the 6-7 gig the game is. I've checked the file listings and they match, so there must be hidden files someehwre. Does anyone know a way around this?

Comment

Thank god for that. I recently played the Conflict Desert Storm 2 demo, and while i enjoyed it, theres no option to invert the look meaning i couldnt ever buy the game as i just cant play without inverted look ft:

Comment

Working...
                              X