Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
    I think Horizon Chase Turbo was inspired by the Top Gear games on the MD & SNES -- and the musician did the brilliant SNES music.
    Which was somewhat of a port from the home computer games Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge.
    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
      Which was somewhat of a port from the home computer games Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge.
      Yeah, the Top Gear games are essentially part of the Lotus series'. The first SNES game was called 'Top Racer' in Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
        Yeah, the Top Gear games are essentially part of the Lotus series'. The first SNES game was called 'Top Racer' in Japan.
        It was and I played it to death. Loved that game.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
          It was and I played it to death. Loved that game.
          Top Racer was such a special game, even if it's not full-screen. The colourful graphics and catchy music give it a really upbeat vibe. I'll always have a soft spot for it.

Comment

One of my favourite games of all time on this week's Battle of the Ports.

Comment

One of my favourite games of all time on this week's Battle of the Ports.

Hyperstone Heist isn't Turtles In Time though.

OG Coin-op aside, SNES port has to win out here. God knows how many hours I spent on it back in the day, to the point that I could 1CC it on hardest difficulty. You must have been playing it on a dodgy emulator or dodgy hardware because the SNES version is clearly smoother and faster than the MD version.

PS2 unlocked emu version and Reshelled are both garbage. Nobody, AFAIK, has cried out for the latter to return to consoles since it got delisted.
              Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 05-12-2020, 10:36.

Comment

I think Yakumo’s bang on the money that Hyperstone Heist feels like an official ROM hack of Turtles in Time! Konami could’ve gotten away with calling it Turtles in Time given back then there was still leeway for arcade conversions diverging from the arcade units. Anyway, quite an interesting visual contrast between the more cartoony Super NES graphics and ‘grittier’ palette of the Mega Drive game.

Comment

Blimey that 360 version is beyond horrible. Terrible, terrible art. 30fps (!!!!) and that music is just painful. I had the SNES version back in the day and played it to death, and I had no idea an MD version even existed until a few years back. I own both now, and as much as I love Sega stuff, the SNES version just destroys it. The MD version has that cheap boss run stage which feels like filler, and the backgrounds get increasingly repetitive and uninteresting the further you get. It's not bad, just inferior to its sibling.

Comment

You know, I've never seen the arcade for TiT, just the original one.
                    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Good choice for this weeks BOTP Yakumo.

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                      You know, I've never seen the arcade for TiT, just the original one.
                      Only ever saw it in one arcade in Great Yarmouth and even then it was the two player version. Suspect the first arcade was doing well still so few people felt they needed to buy it or they felt Simpsons would do better.

The Mega Drive one is mismash of both arcade games with some new content thrown in as well. 360 version isn't a port, but worth including as the suggestion was it was Ubisoft trying to get the cash without paying Konami.

The PS2 version is a port from what I understand is a port based on what Hardcore Gaming 101 said about it.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
                        Good choice for this weeks BOTP Yakumo.

Only ever saw it in one arcade in Great Yarmouth and even then it was the two player version. Suspect the first arcade was doing well still so few people felt they needed to buy it or they felt Simpsons would do better.

The Mega Drive one is mismash of both arcade games with some new content thrown in as well. 360 version isn't a port, but worth including as the suggestion was it was Ubisoft trying to get the cash without paying Konami.

The PS2 version is a port from what I understand is a port based on what Hardcore Gaming 101 said about it.
                        There was a Turtles in Time in New Brighton that was near the entrance to the seafront arcade. I forget the name now, was it the Bright Spot? It has amusement rides in the building next to it.

Comment

Imagine if there were two of those cabs on either side.

A beautiful pair of massive TiTs.

Comment

There was a Turtles in Time in New Brighton that was near the entrance to the seafront arcade. I forget the name now, was it the Bright Spot? It has amusement rides in the building next to it.
                            It was indeed the Bright Spot. Still just about going too.

Comment

The series may be a joke these days but at the beginning it truly was something special.

Comment

Great video! I'm a huge fan of the first game (and the Nissan Over Drivin' GT-R versions) and I've played every one except the 3DO, agreed with everything said. Each version seems to have their own pros and cons and I broadly agree with what you're saying! Also there's two versions of the PC game, the normal one and the Special Edition, both of them have different handling. Neither feel the same as any of the console ones though - the normal one feels heavy and the SE feels more slidey.

I like all the versions in their own way but my personal favourite is the Saturn release - the handling feels spot-on and the huge draw distance is a massive benefit when you're going really fast. It's harder to avoid oncoming traffic in the PS1 version as you don't get quite as long to see it coming. After that, probably the PC "SE" version.

I will mention there's a super obscure promo-only version based around the Japanese version of the PS1 game called "Over Drivin' DX Rally Version" where all the road tracks have been replaced with dirt, never played it though. Apparently it's just the same thing as one of the cheats you can enable in the normal game though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwIFJLg_xgQ

Fantastic game in any case though, one that I always keep coming back to, easily in one of my top ten games of all time. However I'm not as keen on any of the sequels, they just seemed to go down a line of getting dafter and dafter. I just like that original one, head to head mode with the traffic on. Can't beat it!

Comment

Working...
                                X