No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only had the PAL Saturn version, it came in one of those lovely, durable plastic, later-released PAL SS cases that weren't horrible sellotape crap like the previous PAL SS cases were.

You know the ones I mean. I *know* you do.

Anyhow, I was VERY impressed by the visuals back in '96, especially for a Saturn! This looks better than about 92% of the 3D racers on the Saturn, it's not 60 but it's consistent and fast and playable, it's a really impressive Saturn game and I know I could still play it nowadays and not laugh at it!!!

Sadly, I never found it that much fun, despite how great the package was on PAL SS. I just felt like the cars handled like pallets made of bronze, like controlling a big, rectangular chunk of rusty or risky metal.

(PAUSES FOR SEVENTY SECONDS, INACTIVE)

I will stop now. Love you all, you beautiful ****ing bastards x

Comment

Been playing the 3DO version lately and its still highly enjoyable. Sure its not got much speed and its a bit choppy but handles like a beaut.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
        Been playing the 3DO version lately and its still highly enjoyable. Sure its not got much speed and its a bit choppy but handles like a beaut.
        Yeah, there's something about the physics and how the cars feel heavy that still makes it quite fun to play. The frame rate is much lower than on the PS1 & Saturn, but I prefer the way it feels to play. Of course, a better frame rate would be ideal, so it's a shame the developer didn't make a 3DO sequel.

In fact - it's a huge shame that the 3DO didn't get sequels to its best games because it flopped after a couple of years. We didn't see whether games like Crash 'n Burn, Road Rash and Need for Speed could be improved upon with more refined sequels. Most consoles get pushed and pushed over a 5 year period, but it felt like the 3DO was dead after 18 months.

Edit: I just remembered that someone hacked the 3DO version to run much faster, but the physics are messed up. It makes me think the game would have run faster with simpler physics.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 12-12-2020, 16:59.

Comment

Here's the hacked version in action. I've played it, but the hack ruins the way the game plays.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
            The series may be a joke these days but at the beginning it truly was something special.

Interesting Yakumo, I noticed the speed dials aren't working in your Saturn video, what model of Saturn version were you using. As that seems to be an issue with some Saturn revisions, not showing the dials.

Our Saturn does, but it seems based on talking to a few people some do and some don't show the dials. We captured this on a PAL model two unit. Did you capture that on a later Saturn model? Like the White Saturn or Derby model.

Love the knock at Digital Foundry, but I'd be a bit more name and shame as someone who works in games I know DF is wrong more times than they would admit.

By the way is it just me or does your Saturn RGB look a little off in this video? Like there is too much Red in the picture, I mention that because I've had the same issue and had to adjust the scart at the back and even get a new lead as a result. It's really annoying, a few of our videos had the same problem, RGB leads seem to wear quite badly as I've had a Saturn and PS1 lead with the same problem, which had to be replaced.

Our video with working dials:

Comment

I was using a Hi-Saturn. The Need For Speed is a pal copy which was played on the Hi-Saturn via the Pro Action Replay. The Japanese version is of course the original Japanese release.

You are right about the red tint to the image, especially on the Over Drivin' section. The RGB cable must have been knocked. That happens with my Saturn cable a lot ��

Comment

Either way, just keep boshing it out the way you do. It hasn't failed you yet.

More power to your arm mate, I'm not trying to dis (this is praise sincerely) but you have an Eamonn Holmes-type charm to ya, except you're Scouse.

You're a very amiable voice, it's the bulk of the charm. Don't worry about mistakes too much, that's that charm we were speaking of yet again.

Love ya channel mate, don't change just keep upgrading ur presentation to match the times and I'm loving the reboots of your old, low-def BOTPs.

Your videos are ****ing ACE, pal!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                  Either way, just keep boshing it out the way you do. It hasn't failed you yet.

More power to your arm mate, I'm not trying to dis (this is praise sincerely) but you have an Eamonn Holmes-type charm to ya, except you're Scouse.

You're a very amiable voice, it's the bulk of the charm. Don't worry about mistakes too much, that's that charm we were speaking of yet again.

Love ya channel mate, don't change just keep upgrading ur presentation to match the times and I'm loving the reboots of your old, low-def BOTPs.

Your videos are ****ing ACE, pal!!!!!!!
                  I never would have thought I'd be compared with Eamonn Holmes in away possible . Cheers, JazzFunk

Comment

^Apols for drunken rambling mate but I meant it, and in a very well-meaning way!

I blame the Jim Beam. £19 a litre at Moggys right now. Very, very nice stuff.

Comment

Classic Japanese PC Gaming on this week's Battle of the Ports with Valis.

Comment

Maaaaan, I *still* have that on JP MD, tatty but complete!!!

I've owned it since like 1996/7, it was like £4 from Dewsbury Friday second-hand market.

I was chuffed to own it for so cheap as I hardly saw this around at all, much, in the early 90s, in the West Yorkshire area.

When I finally got around to playing it in like March 1997, I coined the phrase 'competent but cack', to myself.

I just thought it was a rubbishy, dated game on the MD. I never even knew it was an enhanced version of an older JP computer game.

In that case, as an enhanced port, the MD version is lush.

But as a gaming connoisseur...it's *thrush*.

(as in vaginal thrush).

It's more desired 'cos of its rareness than its merit as a game.

I've only played the MD version and it was pretty meh and dullish but it looks like heaven compared to its precursors!!!!!

Comment

Happy New years and welcome to the first BOTP for the new year.

Comment

Gnarls somehow missed the first one over yule, just caught up on both. Are you gonna do III & IV? I know there's not many versions but would still like to see. What's happened to the price of Valis on Megadrive, recall when it was less than a tenner.

Comment

Outrun Europa soon please

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                                Gnarls somehow missed the first one over yule, just caught up on both. Are you gonna do III & IV? I know there's not many versions but would still like to see. What's happened to the price of Valis on Megadrive, recall when it was less than a tenner.
                                Part 3 for sure but I'm not sure about part 4 since the PcE and SFC versions differ.

Comment

Working...
                                X