Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ikobo View Post
    These vids really show how much better the Japanese consoles were than their UK home computer counterparts. Just amazes me that more people didn't import back in the 16-Bit heyday but were happy to put up with ****ty versions, I got sick of trying to convince people they should buy MD's, SFC's and PCE's back then.
    That's cause you were playing the wrong games on the home computers, almost all the arcade ports were rubbish. Due to as Shakey_Jake33 lack of source code and coders just wanting to do a cheap job.

Two very good example of Amiga titles were they bothered to do it right were:

Golden Axe:

Gets the game spot on and was only on one disc, great music also.

Rainbow Island

Taito use the source code from this version to do the Saturn and PSX collection.

Any port that didn't have music and sound effects at the same time was just garbage.

But in general you avoided ports on the Amiga and went for original developed software to see the best games.
    Last edited by S3M; 15-08-2013, 17:40. Reason: Typo fixing

Comment

I can't understand why the changed the music in Ghouls'n Ghosts. I guess they just had some ****ty stock crap that they made and decided to use that rather than putting in the effort to recreate the original tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by ikobo View Post
        These vids really show how much better the Japanese consoles were than their UK home computer counterparts. Just amazes me that more people didn't import back in the 16-Bit heyday but were happy to put up with ****ty versions, I got sick of trying to convince people they should buy MD's, SFC's and PCE's back then.
        That's not really being fair though . In most cases the console teams had full access to the source code or could just go up stairs and get all the info from the Team that made the game in the 1st place . Not like the developers on Uk computers who were just given the Arcade machine and had to do everything them self's with just a couple of staff (if they were lucky) .

That said and while the game my be **** - the Arcade port of Pitfighter on the Amiga left the Snes and Mega Drive standing will full sprite scaling and I'm still amazing at how good Endor Racer and Chase HQ were on the Spectrum - in many cases far better than any console versions

Comment

I'm sure PC Engine owners wouldn't agree with the Chase HQ point The PC Engine version is actually pretty good from what I remember.

Comment

PCE Chase H.Q. is terrible. It's probably the worst version.
            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Impressed with the GBC and Wonderswan versions of Ghosts and Goblins.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                That's not really being fair though . In most cases the console teams had full access to the source code or could just go up stairs and get all the info from the Team that made the game in the 1st place . Not like the developers on Uk computers who were just given the Arcade machine and had to do everything them self's with just a couple of staff (if they were lucky) .

That said and while the game my be **** - the Arcade port of Pitfighter on the Amiga left the Snes and Mega Drive standing will full sprite scaling and I'm still amazing at how good Endor Racer and Chase HQ were on the Spectrum - in many cases far better than any console versions
                It doesn't change the fact that if you were in to that type of arcade gaming that the console versions were superior, making the import systems what should have been the natural choice. I had an amiga myself, but the majority of my amiga owning friends chose to bury their heads in the sand of how good these new consoles were even when I imported mine and sat them down in front of them. Blind fanboyism isn't anything new though.

Comment

Luckily you're not bitter about it though

Comment

I'm not in the slightest bitter, it was their loss at the time. They all ended up with consoles in the long run anyway.

Comment

To be fair there is probably just as many crap arcade ports on consoles as on home computers.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                        PCE Chase H.Q. is terrible. It's probably the worst version.
                        Bit harsh considering there are versions on Master System, C64 & Spectrum.

Granted better versions are available.

Comment

And the speccy version was one of the best

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                            To be fair there is probably just as many crap arcade ports on consoles as on home computers.
                            Oh aye, without a doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                              Bit harsh considering there are versions on Master System, C64 & Spectrum.

Granted better versions are available.
                              Sorry and its very rare I disagree with you, but for me the ZX Spectrum was the best home version imo

Comment

Must play a good game? Looks decent but the colours seem lacking as per many Speccy titles? I had the Amstrad version at the time and that was seriously good, looked great too!

Comment

Working...
                                X