Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers

It's one of the few games I'm good at, actually. Was stuck at the end of level 4 for a long time until I realised how to beat the magicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
      Tough? Erm... okay heh. If I can do a loop or two, then it's about as hard as SNES Ghouls 'n Ghosts
      Oh, it's a walk in the park then
      I've always been terrible at Spartan X but it would make a good video. I'll have to do a bit of research on this one as I believe there are a few home computer Ports going under completely different names or they could be just rip off titles. If so they won't be featured.

Comment

Okay, not a walk in the park, but it doesn't get joystick gnashing hard really until loop 2

As for ports, I'm aware of versions on C64, Spectrum, Amstrad, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Apple II, DOS and MSX.
        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

As for ports, I'm aware of versions on C64, Spectrum, Amstrad, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Apple II, DOS and MSX.
          Kung-Fu on the NES too.

Comment

Classic arcade action RPG time on Battle of the Ports

Comment

Wasn't there a Megadrive one? I thought the MD one was like ESWAT, in that it was a totally different game with the same branding. I thought you'd feature a short clip.

Comment

Edit: never mind

Comment

A common theme with these videos seems to be that the C64 usually get's it's own sweet looking port that stands out next to other 8/16bit computers. It makes me want to look into the platform a bit more heh.

I do love the Wonderboy games, there's something very charming about this series. I'm hoping to pick up the SMS version of Monster Land once I get round to buying a power base converter.

Comment

C64 version of WiML isn't too bad, but could have been better. Just seemed a little slow to me at the time.

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                    A common theme with these videos seems to be that the C64 usually get's it's own sweet looking port that stands out next to other 8/16bit computers. It makes me want to look into the platform a bit more heh.
                    If you want any pointers, just shout, I'm probably going to be one of the best people to ask about the C64

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                    Kung-Fu on the NES too.
                    Yeah, somehow I failed to type that in my list..!
                    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

If you want any pointers, just shout, I'm probably going to be one of the best people to ask about the C64
                      I might have to take you up on that. Sadly it will have to be via emulation (maybe on Wii if it's decent enough?) since I really don't have enough room for another system.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                        Wasn't there a Megadrive one? I thought the MD one was like ESWAT, in that it was a totally different game with the same branding. I thought you'd feature a short clip.
                        I think the Mega Drive game has nothing at all to do with the arcade game. It doesn't even have the same character. In Japan the name was different I think. Need to check on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                          I think the Mega Drive game has nothing at all to do with the arcade game. It doesn't even have the same character. In Japan the name was different I think. Need to check on that.
                          Maybe he's talking about wonderboy III, monster lair/dragons trap

Comment

^You mean of Wonder Boy?

There was Monster World IV (which plays very similar to WBIML) and a Jap-only sequel (which is on an XBLA comp along with WBIML and Monster World IV). And then you had the crappy side-scrolling shooter Wonderboy 3. Which was arse on the MD and arcade.

Superb vid, btw.

I think you went too easy on the Amiga game and should've bigged up the PCE version more! Pretty much a pixel-for-pixel arcade perfect conversion! I'm glad it was the first version I played, I rinsed that game so bad I'm ashamed for doing so, every coin, every money bag, every secret, I found em all myself 'cos no mags at the time had that **** in it!!!!
                            Last edited by QualityChimp; 20-09-2015, 08:06.

Comment

I'm genuinely surprised at the amount of chatter the Ridge Racer video resulted in! I never knew it had such passionate fans and the various versions split opinion so much!

As for Wonder Boy, the original was my sister's game. She'd make 10p last aaages.

Did anyone else play Wonderboy III in the arcades? It really lacked the magic of the original, but worth a blast.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                                ^You mean of Wonder Boy?

There was Monster World IV (which plays very similar to WBIML) and a Jap-only sequel (which is on an XBLA comp along with WBIML and Monster World IV). And then you had the crappy side-scrolling shooter Wonderboy 3. Which was arse on the MD and arcade.

Superb vid, btw.

I think you went too easy on the Amiga game and should've bigged up the PCE version more! Pretty much a pixel-for-pixel arcade perfect conversion! I'm glad it was the first version I played, I rinsed that game so bad I'm ashamed for doing so, every coin, every money bag, every secret, I found em all myself 'cos no mags at the time had that **** in it!!!!
                                I think Amiga fans are getting a bit pissed of with my bashing of the games (although it's true that most Ports are total arse) so I didn't really go to town on it.

Hmm, yeah, upon reflection the PC Engine should have been praised more. I do agree it's an amazing port and if it had the original characters I'd love it way more than the Master System version. I just can't stand Bikuriman though.

I'm genuinely surprised at the amount of chatter the Ridge Racer video resulted in! I never knew it had such passionate fans and the various versions split opinion so much!
                                Same here. I loved the game but was so surprised at how popular the video was with its replies.

Comment

Working...
                                X