Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by endo View Post
    Love this too. I bought it one day when I had cash and was just desperate to buy any game. I'd picked up Techno Cop for some reason, and the bloke in the shop actually talked me out of it and convinced me to buy this instead. Was glad he did!
    Now that was a nice shop owner.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
      NONE will beat Lee at Dream Machines/Dreamware. That lovely man talked me out so many bad buys and let me games that he thought I would like and buy.

Great vid though Yak. It's one of my favourite games and brings back to many happy memories of me playing the game using the yellow HoneyBee adapter.

Comment

It was Computer Adventure World in Birkenhead. Never bought a dud game in there.

Comment

A series Capcom really need to bring back on this week's Battle of the Ports.
          I read that it's because of their move to 3D. They after SF4 that they were more likely to bring Marvel Vs back (and did, I guess) because of the way the animations work in Darkstalkers. Like in Street Fighter, when Ryu does a punch, you can animate him doing a punch. In Darkstalkers, pressing a hard punch on a main character could involve them morphing from a demon into a cat-girl and throwing a landmine at the opponent. Many of the moves are totally bespoke, so they thought the budget would be extremely high, and they didn't feel that the brand supported the investment.

This was around the time they did a re-release on PS3 (was it on PS3? I think it was), and they said they were testing the water for how much people actually liked the brand. It was the same cynical marketing move that Bandai pulled with releasing Dragonball Xenoverse 2 on Switch and people asked about Fighter-Z - the whole "you guys better buy this or we won't do the next game" thing. It's bollocks and they know it's bollocks, but publishers still trot it out.

Comment

One of Irem's less popular shooters but still a classic that got a few ports at least. BOTP - Xmultiply.

Comment

Rip off a 70's synth track and add in a penguin and what do you get? Pengo! On this week's Battle of the Ports

Comment

One that you've all been asking for is finally here - BOTP Virtual On.

Comment

I’ve played Oratario Tangram on Dreamcast the most, but they’re both great games. Fei-Yen is my favourite character

Comment

The game was so cool. Only ever saw and got to play the Arcade version in Blackpool but it was amazing and the game was so deep (every time you played it, you found out a new move ) The Saturn port was increabile for 2 reasons... 1) Given the Arcade used 2 Model boards the Saturn version was really close and 2) It was made by CRI who in most cases were pretty crap with ports...

Saturn version wins for me.

Comment

Virtual On lives on in ARMS.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                        Virtual On lives on in ARMS.
                        Gundam Versus also; I mean, it’s different but conceptually similar.

Comment

It's funny that people requested Samurai Shodown 3 but not 4 or 2. Let's take a look at why.

Comment

My fav in the series and loved the remixed music in the CD versions . My fav version is the Saturn because that's the one we played the most. This game features the best character in a VS game Basara Kubikiri was just to cool as was his victory poses.

The GFX and sound is amazing in this game and so atmospheric and really adds to the game. SNK had the best Artwork in the business

Comment

3 is pretty much the Shark-Jump moment for Samurai Spirits/Shodown.

The Bakumatsu Roman/Last Blade games are so superior that it's not even funny. I would actually go as far as to say that the first two Samuria Spirits/Shodown games actually look dreadful in comparison (obvious arguments about difference in time and tech notwithstanding).

Comment

Nostalgia plays a large part for me but with the Shodown games my peak interest was the second and third games, I liked them both probably equally but for different reasons. The Last Blades are like Garou for me, I can tell they're a technical advancement underneath when I play them but they fail to hold my interest as they feel like soulless extensions. Like they were made with better technical know-how but no love in them at all.

It's hard to explain why, it's not in a heavy put down way of Garou/Last Blade but they feel off just as the blander early 2000 KoF's did. It's not less effort put into them but somehow the art design etc feels like it carries less atmosphere and character which make me lose interest faster.

Comment

Working...
                                X