Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
    Pretty much a lock for the Saturn port, no?

A fantastic game (one of many) from a fantastic era for Capcom when they were at the zenith of their game development powers, especially when it came to the coin-op scene.

CPS-era Capcom quite frankly sh1ts all over modern-day Capcom and part of me feels sad about that.
    Yep, the Saturn port is basically Arcade perfect.
    Capcom sure we're better back then.

Comment

Capcom are still brilliant today imp and also another easy win for the Saturn: The king of 2D system

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
        Capcom are still brilliant today
        They really aren't. They are nowhere near what they were during the CPS era.

Comment

QFT.

Final Fight, Ghouls ‘n’ Ghosts, Strider, Street Fighter mother-f***ing II for God’s sake. Now that was some purple patch!

Comment

Capcom are now just a shadow of their former brilliance, not quite as sad and pathetic as Konami, but nowhere near where they used to be... let’s just hope Megaman 11 is quality.

I haven’t spent nearly enough time with X-Men vs Street Fighter as I’d like, I really should go back to some of the earlier Capcom crossover titles...

Comment

Gotta admit, although the PS1 version is objectively pretty bad, I have fond memories of it, as a friend owned it and we used to play it a lot, what with there being few other options in the UK.

That being said, I really liked the PS1 version of Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter that I owned, despite the lack of tag... I suspect if you ever do that one [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION] it'll wreck my memories of it, because apart from the lack of tag (and the balance issue that created with the bosses) I remember that game as pretty good.

Comment

Arcade-wise, but one can Hardly blame or single out Capcom for the decline in the Arcades (not that you are). Console wise, Capcom have produced and made some utter gems this and last gen. RE 7 is one of the best games I have ever played in any gen of gaming.

Comment

According to a source withing Capcom US, Marvel Super Heroes VS Street Fighter was developed for the sole reason that X-Men VS Street Fighter was too hectic. Sounds like a lame reason but whatever the reason was it resulted in an amazing 2D fighter from Capcom Japan. One of the best ever 2D fighters of that generation.

Comment

A game that was classed as groundbreaking for it's time - Starblade on this week's Battle of the Ports

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                      A game that was classed as groundbreaking for it's time - Starblade on this week's Battle of the Ports
                      I remember borrowing the 3DO version from an importer back in the day. They said I could return it if I didn't like it, seeing there weren't many games being released for the system at the time. I thought it looked good on my CRT - and played quite well, but was ultimately quite a boring game, so I took it back to the shop and was given a refund. I'd have been gutted if I had wasted £40 on it.

I also remember playing the arcade version a while before that and thinking the special screen made it look really nice. But it wasn't a game I was eager to play in the home.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                        I remember borrowing the 3DO version from an importer back in the day. They said I could return it if I didn't like it, seeing there weren't many games being released for the system at the time. I thought it looked good on my CRT - and played quite well, but was ultimately quite a boring game, so I took it back to the shop and was given a refund. I'd have been gutted if I had wasted £40 on it.

I also remember playing the arcade version a while before that and thinking the special screen made it look really nice. But it wasn't a game I was eager to play in the home.
                        I loved the 3DO version, it was pretty impressive back inthe day. I remember playing the coin up version in High Tide Arcade on my carven hoilday in Porthcawl and I was flooed at the game and the price to play it (lol) Think it was one the 1st Arcade games that cost a pound a go

It was hugly impressive and I don't think Namco get enough credfit for the game and their tech at the time. They were ahead of SEGA and system 21 was really the 1st board to handle great polygons, long before Model 1 . I still love playing the game now, its great for a quick blast

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                          It was hugly impressive and I don't think Namco get enough credfit for the game and their tech at the time. They were ahead of SEGA and system 21 was really the 1st board to handle great polygons, long before Model 1 . I still love playing the game now, its great for a quick blast
                          As much as I remember thinking the arcade version looked quite stunning, it wasn't a game that really grabbed me. When it hit the 3DO, I again realised that it's a nice looking game with a cool vibe about it, but ultimately doesn't satisfy. Star Fox felt far more substantial and kept me coming back for more and more.

Comment

I may be misremembering something here, but wasn’t there an 8-player huge-screen version of Starblade, or was that something else?

Does look superb for a game from 1991(!). The curved screen, feedback cabinet, amazing.

The Space Armada stage in Starfox was a nice homage to Starblade, come to think of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Protocol Penguin View Post
                              I may be misremembering something here, but wasn’t there an 8-player huge-screen version of Starblade, or was that something else?
                              I think you maybe thinking of something else there.

Comment

Originally posted by Protocol Penguin View Post
                                I thought it was Starblade as well. There was one at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Either 6 or 8 players, but definitely from Namco.

Comment

Working...
                                X