Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So am I right in thinking its 3rd vote for May next as she needs that result again first. Then assuming it fails she will request and extension for a fourth vote and it's then on the EU to demand a long extension with a referendum etc basically MPs still playing russian roulette?

Comment

From my understanding of the motion, there will be a third attempt to pass May's WA on 20 March and if that passes, an extension will be requested until 30th June.

If it fails, an extension beyond June 30th will be sought from the EU.

So, we'll have 9 days for the EU to say yes or no.

Comment

I'm starting to have a really bad feeling about this unjustifiable third attempt from May...

Comment

Can I ask something? And contrary to how it may seem, this is a genuine question.

I traveled cross-country today and saw a load of signs along the motorways supporting Brexit, as well as hearing people behind the BBC reporters shouting pro-Brexit slogans, holding up UKIP flags, etc.

So I want to ask: Why do you want to leave the EU?

However, there is one caveat. I want an answer which has practical, pragmatic reasons - so nothing to do with ideology. So for instance, "taking back sovereignty" is not an answer I'll accept, because whilst you could argue it's true (let's not get into a debate over "sovereignty" here; I'm willing to accept that leaving just makes the UK more independent by definition) - however, I would accept "we'll be more independent, can make our own laws, so I want laws x, y and z".

The reason for this is that last night, I saw an on-street report on the news, where they spoke to a load of random people in different cities, and some of them were expressing frustration that we haven't left ("we just want to leave, we voted to leave so let's leave" and so on) but none of the leavers seemed to actually give a reason for which they voted, or why they want to leave - other than a kind of romantic notion of independence.

I'm asking this out of a sense of lingering despair. We're almost certainly going to leave, and I want someone to point out something - one, single thing - to look forward to. But I want something practical. Something gets cheaper, jobs become easier to get, society improves in a notable way, taxes get lower, the NHS gets better... I want an actual thing to grasp onto here. However, all I'm seeing is stuff like the USA wanting us to lower our food import standards to meet theirs and similar things, and it really worries me.
          Last edited by Asura; 14-03-2019, 21:26.

Comment

Well I’m not a Leaver so I’m the wrong person to answer but the end of your post sparked one possible genuine positive. Yes, the idea of dropping food standards is bad and the US faces food safety issues that we seem to have pretty much eradicated here... BUT some of the US food is delicious and you could end up getting more imported stuff there that is trickier to find or expensive probably because it’s in a small grey market area. Like some cereals and stuff. That’s definitely something I’d enjoy.

But as I was writing that, what I was really thinking of was drinks loaded with sugar now that all our drinks have been ruined but I’m pretty sure the sugar tax was primarily a UK thing and we just got saddled with the results of that over here just because we get thrown into the same market... hey, I wonder if there is a chance we might get sugar back in our drinks in Ireland once you leave...

Comment

Brexit vs Remain is like religion vs science, so I'd also be interested in the answers you get.

Comment

I’m a remainer it here goes:

If there were no other financial impact (I know) then we’d be a couple of million pound a week better off. That sounds quite good to an individual and our concept of money. However, our mod costs us 800 million a week so it’s actually nothing.

It’s like reports that health tourists cost us however many million a year. Let’s say that’s true. Well that’s about 0.05% of the NHS bill so is barely worth worrying about financially (there’s the principal of course).

So no real reason to leave.

Comment

The main reason to leave the EU is that the daily mail etc will have nothing to write about so will collapse financially and the world will be a better place

Comment

We have a winner!

Comment

It's such a difficult one, especially looking at things now as opposed to how they were in 2016. It seems to vary as well depending on the region you're in, I genuinely haven't come across many people in real life who were that bothered about immigration or sovereignty who voted for Leave. However I'd imagine areas where unemployment is harder hit will be sold that idea much easier.

For me, it was the EU itself that's the issue and to an extent it still is. Regardless of Brexit there is no getting around the EU being deeply flawed. It's a wide range of issues such as some of its worrying ambitions like the creation of a militarised arm through to unaccounted for MEP corruption such as the ongoing expenses theft across the board that's going on, something that already hit hard with MP's here but doesn't get addressed in the EU council because the fact is they aren't anywhere near as accountable to the public as they claim to be and are more answerable to themselves. The EU is having fires pop up left right and centre in its member countries and is seeing the alt-right factions within these countries rise at an alarming rate. The trouble is that the EU is fundamentally broken, it's not irreparably broken but as of the 2016 referendum any discussion on necessary reform was shut down. The 2016 referendum for a good chunk of people was a chance to vocalise discontent with the state of things, a vague hope was that the outcome would deliver enough of a shock to wake the EU up to the fact it couldn't dismiss concerns any longer but I pretty much didn't think for one second I'd be waking up on results day to find Leave had won.

When considering Leave as a potential outcome a lot of peoples thinking was 'it will be rough but in the long run it'll be okay' and to be honest I still expect that will be true, there won't be a doomsday scenario. When you look at a short term rough patch to avoid a long term one when it seems the situation within the EU will be allowed to deteriorate - and you present this chance to vocalise that as a never to be repeated opportunity - well, MP's set themselves up right there.

To be honest, my opinion of the state of the EU hasn't changed much. The only thing that's really happened is that the EU seems to be more aware of a need for reform to stave off the threats that are encroaching on it which I suppose means it all kind of worked though its current key leaders are 100% not the people for that job. Of course the counter aspect is that whilst we all knew our own MPs were naff we didn't truly understand the full extent of just how inept, self promoting above all common sense and harming to the nation they are. They quite literally cannot be trusted to deliver any form of passable Brexit, or manage the transition, or lead the country and so there's a common sense point where regardless of Brexit view you have to look at the mess in front of you and say 'it isn't working, call it off'.

If Brexit is called off there will be a dangerously angry corner of the public but I feel MP's are massively overestimating the size of it.

Comment

An EU Commissioner believes that the UK No Deal plan for zero tariffs on the NI border would be in breach of WTO rules

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                          there is no getting around the EU being deeply flawed
                          *looks at UK government over the last few months*

Hmmm... it's the EU you want to leave?

*Yes, I know you're personally saying call it off!

Comment

At this point they look stellar next to the morons in Downing Street admittedly

There's still time to set up the Bordersdown Common Sense Party!

Comment

The DUP are spending the weekend busting their nuts to find any way they can to justify supporting May's deal

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                                At this point they look stellar next to the morons in Downing Street admittedly

There's still time to set up the Bordersdown Common Sense Party!
                                Vote Fishbowl for your new Sith Emperor, I mean legally elected state leader. Yes yes all legal and constitutional, he said with a smirk.

Comment

Working...
                                X