Netflix Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
    I was thinking similar. My son thinks it's the best one though.
    Explain to him this is why adoption centres exist.

Comment

I'm about 4 eps in ... I think it's great.

Comment

Wife started watching 3% last week. I joined in near the end of season 2 and it's really good so I'll try burning through the previous episodes to catch up.

Non-English stuff is tough to watch together because we both rely on subtitles - this one is Brazilian Portuguese with Japanese subtitles - but once she'd taught me a few words and got me up to speed, I could follow the story and thoroughly enjoyed it.

It's about a dystopian Brazil where 20-year-olds go through a Krypton Factor-esque test called The Process. Whoever passes gets to live on a cool island with all the mod-cons like advanced health care, while the rest stay on the mainland and live in abject poverty. Each person is only allowed one chance at the test so it all goes a bit Battle Royale, as you can imagine.

Comment

Prediction for Stranger Things S4:

Hopper jumped into the Upside Down rather than dying in the explosion the Russian machine caused.

The next season will probably follow directly on from the end of S3 rather than the jump that happened between S2 and S3.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
            Prediction for Stranger Things S4:

Hopper jumped into the Upside Down rather than dying in the explosion the Russian machine caused.

The next season will probably follow directly on from the end of S3 rather than the jump that happened between S2 and S3.

They said no not the American in the extra post credit scene before they dragged the Russian prisoner down stairs, their is no other charters that are missing at this point. No doubt hopper has found his way back out of the upside down but ended up in the Russian base and been captured. Not sure how he would travel so far though, we have seen on multiple occasions that the upsidedown has real world parallels so why are they opening a portal into an area that is so far underground surely hopper would jump through into an area that is extremely far underground. it makes very little sense. No doubt 11 will get her powers back at some point and discover that Hopper is still alive too spurring on a rescue mission for his mid season return.

Last edited by Lebowski; 12-07-2019, 08:45.

Comment

Just finished it tonight and came to the same conclusion as Lebowski above. Anyway, loved this season even if I felt the storytelling was a bit drawn out. It’s like it didn’t quite have the driving force in plot but it more than made up for it in character and moment to moment interactions. And as always the atmosphere was lovely. So yeah, really liked this season.

Comment

Just finished Stranger Things 3 and I thought it was ace. I loved how it wrapped up and it left me wanting more, as it always does

Comment

I forced myself to the end of episode 5.

Stranger Things season 3 has become like a weird and bad fan-fiction parody of itself. All of my earlier complaints have only gotten worse. In S1 and S2, though it was a fantasy tale, I could easily suspend disbelief. It felt plausible. It felt believable. I could roll with what was happening. Here it just feels ridiculous. Not funny ridiculous. Not clever satirical ridiculous. Just stupid ridiculous.

I also hate the character arcs. Again, they come across as caricatures of their former selves, and act out of sorts. Hopper is acting like some jerk Magnum PI wannabe. Previously he was quite smart and a decent anti-hero. Former school bully is now running around in a sailor costume. He's been defanged and repackaged because...? Annoying fat kid is now a tech whiz and even more annoying? Dittsy school crush is now an ace reporter? Psychic Overlord chick is now a 1980s fashionista? What even is this nonsense? The script seems to be a random word salad. I can see what they've done: they have deliberately taken every series archetype and inverted or changed it to make you think "Ooooh, look at the characters growth." This is not character growth, this is shark jumping.

The only good bit has been the Arnie rip-off, but only because it's riffing off better things which came before it.

I kinda wonder if I'll get to the end and it'll turn out that Crazy Mom Lady was just having a weird crazy schizo dream and none of this was real.

I want everyone to know: I am judging you based on where you fall in the Stranger Things S3 debate. And by judging, I mean I will probably forget I posted in this topic and return here seldomly.
                  Last edited by Sketcz; 14-07-2019, 21:07.

Comment

We finished Stranger Things: Season 3 this week and thought it was fine. I'd say it's the simplest of the three seasons so far, Season 1 is still the best and not just because the show was new. It works best with an air of dread and the kids having to work together to uncover an unfolding mystery. Season 2 was the weakest easily, keeping the kids apart-that awful city 11 episode etc

Season 3 is a simple tale, you could see where it was going a mile away but it was fun enough, more of an action monster story. Season 4 would have to be fairly different in approach otherwise it'll run of out gas fast but I didn't have much of an issue with the characters. It still stands too that Dustin and Steve are beyond amazing as a double act and make watching it worthwhile all on their own.

Comment

Didn't they say that they're only writing a set number of series?

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                        that awful city 11 episode etc
                        You mean this one?

"Chapter Seven: The Lost Sister" is the fifteenth episode of Stranger Things and the seventh episode of the second season. It premiered on October 27, 2017. Psychic visions draw Eleven to a band of violent outcasts and an angry girl with a shadowy past. Eleven explains to Becky Ives what she saw in her mother's visions, specifically the dark-skinned girl that she was shown repeatedly. Flipping through Ives' files on other experimental children, Eleven identifies the girl through a photograph as

Oddly, that was one of my favourite episodes out of all of them. It showcased the world of ST, which I was invested in, through a whole new viewing lense. It expanded the universe, so you realised it wasn't just self-contained in this little town. It also provided decent and needed character growth for 11. For me, it was a triumph of what the show was capable of delivering. I liked how it showed the Hawkins lab people moving beyond the lab, that there are other psychics, that this is all bigger than we imagined. There was a tiny feeling of Terimnator 2 for me, as they hunted down the old lab scientists (I'm thinking hunting down Miles Dyson from T2 here). Contrast this with Season 3, where basically the whole of Russia seems to be living beneath the town of Hawkins. It's like they regressed, shrinking the world back down only to Hawkins. That city episode is how I would have liked to see the series evolve.

But I know a lot of people hated it.

Why did you feel it was awful? Help me understand, Superman.

Comment

Finished season 3. Loved it. That is all.

Comment

With that Lost Sister episode, it gave some insight into the programme that 11 was made under but in Stranger Thing's case I feel Hawkins is intrinsically core to the experience of the show. That episode did try to open up the tone and world of the show up to that point but it was the furthest the show has ever pushed the idea of splitting up the core cast and every time it's done that it's compromised the quality. Having 11 spend that time in the city just felt like numerous other generic teen sci-fi shows. I think that's part of why (as yet) they've made no attempt to revisit the setting or characters from that episode or to reference it, it's also by far the lowest rated episode of the shows 3 season run. It does represent an issue the show has though as the idea of things repeatedly happening in Hawkins risks feeling stretched so it's a concern as to whether it can develop past that assuming it needs to.

The Duffer Brothers historically mentioned it ending on the 4th or 5th season, there's little mention of an end at the moment so presumably they're going to end it with a 5th season that's set around 1989.

Comment

I still feel like that was a placement issue. I liked the episode and I think many others would too had it not come pretty much out of nowhere and only served to take Eleven out and then right back at the end at a point where it could only interrupt the flow. It felt out of place.

Comment

I reckon the next season of Stranger Things will be the final season, probably have a couple of more episodes or feature length opening and finale.

I really enjoyed this season, ticked all the boxes for me, just the right amount of screen time for everyone across the episodes.

Regarding the end credit scene of season 3...

I reckon Bob is the American in the cell and Hopper has jumped into the upside down. That is all.

Comment

Working...
                                X