Anime and Manga Thread: 2nd Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
    Was going to take my hero academia mad daughter to see the new movie but it's a 15
    I've just checked the age rating and it is as you've mentioned (I actually didn't expect that). Is there any chance you might be able to get her in at a local cinema that's showing it that might be lenient? (perhaps pre-book, get the tickets scanned on your phone at the cinema and hope the attendant isn't strict about it).

I finished watching Psycho-Pass 2 on the weekend. It has some decent elements but was a little uneven, especially towards the end (aiming more for shock value than building smoothly like the original series). It had a decent conclusion though and Akane Tsunemori is still a bad-ass who's psycho-pass will not be diminished or blackened by much of anything it seems (she's not the only character in the series to have 'unnatural' qualities about her in the show's world though). I also watched the first two episodes of Psycho-Pass 3 via Amazon Video which are longer-form episodes at 45 minutes each and mostly follows a new group of inspectors/enforcers. So far it's pretty decent but I'm going to go back and watch the film as that's written by the main writer of the first series (chronologically its meant to happen after the end of Psycho-Pass 2). I hope it lives up to expectations.
    Last edited by Paddy; 26-10-2021, 17:39.

Comment

Been watching Way of the House Husband on Netflix. Absolutely brilliant program and very original as well.

Comment

spent a couple of days away in Southampton for a biffy clyro gig and managed to squeeze My hero academia world heroes mission in with my partner, she only likes the English speaking Bakago so wasn't allowed to watch the subbed version

anyway, was worried as it started off really slow but once it gain momentum it was a cracking movie, falls a bit short of heroes rising in my opinion

but still decent with some terrific moments, glad i didn't take my daughter as i know she wouldn't have liked the quirk activation sequence

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
          spent a couple of days away in Southampton for a biffy clyro gig and managed to squeeze My hero academia world heroes mission in with my partner, she only likes the English speaking Bakago so wasn't allowed to watch the subbed version

anyway, was worried as it started off really slow but once it gain momentum it was a cracking movie, falls a bit short of heroes rising in my opinion

but still decent with some terrific moments, glad i didn't take my daughter as i know she wouldn't have liked the quirk activation sequence
          Does that mean you won't take her to see it after all? Tbh this one only seems to be getting a limited run in UK cinemas so there will be the opportunity to catch it on streaming at your own leisure if it can't be seen on the big screen.

Comment

At home it can be controlled, but it might be fine

Don't think I would take her to a 15 until she is 13 for example, she is still my wee girl haha

Comment

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stone Ocean, or at least the first part (12 episodes) of it, was really good. Absolutely daft, but in the best ways.

Comment

Set your alarms for late next year. Despite how rushed the ending felt in the manga, i'm really looking forward to.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobal View Post
                  Set your alarms for late next year. Despite how rushed the ending felt in the manga, i'm really looking forward to.

Watched this earlier & I am SO excited for it

I only finished the original Anime earlier this year & have never read the Manga so this will be all new to me
                  The wait to next October will be agonising but so worth it

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                    Watched this earlier & I am SO excited for it

I only finished the original Anime earlier this year & have never read the Manga so this will be all new to me
                    The wait to next October will be agonising but so worth it

Neil
                    Well you're in for a heck of a fun ride in the final arc, Kubo's a meme for a reason.

Comment

Time for my end of year review 2021, 10 best shows and couple of honourable mentions.

World trigger: season 2/3 - big surprise to see it get a continuation, but the manga is popular(and my favourite shounen manga) despite the slow output so Toei gave it another go and put a budget behind it this time, fantastic openings for both seasons with mostly great animation throughout. At it's most basic level its sci-fi team sports with the occasional serious invasion by alien badguys with emphasis on teamwork and strategy over the power of friendship, with main character Osamu almost being the anti Luffy/Naruto.

Dragon Quest Dai: 60+eps - still going from it's start last year but coming to end soon, a classic shounen adventure, all swords and sorcery with the power of friendship and the occasional crazy Dragon Ball Z like fights later on. Has a small cast for once (rare nowadays, but it's an old manga) which allows you to get attached to the characters including the villains, watching them all grow, specially Popp as the MVP of the show.

Mushoku Tensei: season 1/2 - said to be the story that mainstreamed the isekai genre following the reincarnation of bullied highschooler from cradle to grave in fantasy swords'n'sorcery world. Only stuff animated so far is childhood up to age 14, a nice slow start world building and learning rules before poop it's the fan. Very well animated, some great fights and lovely vista's.

Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon: season 2 - kyoani returning to their popular reworking of Maid Dragon, it is more of the same slow slice of life stuff even with the new dragon girl thrown in, but there are some great episode's around Tohru's past and her current thoughts on the life she's currently living. Expect the usual high quality animation even for the most unimportant of scenes.

86: humanity in a world war vs A.I. robot death force, first half deals with one nation forcing it's none-nationals, dissenters and half-raced citizens in district 86 and then conscripted as kamikaze pilots for glass cannon spider tanks, all guns no armour. After that we see what the other surviving nations are up to. Well animated and some great sound work to.

Super Cub: lovely little Honda advertisement, follows 2 high school girls in the sticks doing every day stuff with their super cubs during all 4 seasons, problems that come with using scooters and there attempts to save money where ever they can. Alot of fun for me came with how insanely attached Koguma gets to her Super Cub, like Setsuna does to his Gundam in 00.

Shiroi Suna no Aquatope: P.A.works latest slice of life + work place, this time set in an aquarium which is in endanger of closing and following 2 girls with their dreams shattered or about to shatter... not the best they've done in the SoL genre but it is enjoyable ride following the timeskips from school to adult work place and starts quite spiritually(like local gods'n'magic stuff) but that starts disappear as the girls move on as adults.

Kageki Shoujo!: not watched an idol show in ages as it all the same crap, but the setting and art grabbed me, done by a newish studio Pine Jam but very similar to Noitamina style. About live musical troop of all female dancers/singers and the pressures of 'making it', follows 2 odd balls entering the first year of the troops musical academy.

Ousama Ranking: well animated and old school looking art style, like a Ghilbi film. Follows the king's first born who is deaf and not very strong in the muscle department, trying to make his way through life while learning what he needs to do to save his family and country. Quite a few moments in the show get emotional.

Sentouin, Hakenshimasu!: badguy gets teleported to a new world (fantasy swords'n'sorcery) and ordered to capture it, follow's his attempts earn evil points which buys him crazy equipment to use. Written by the author of Konosuba, so expect him and his team to be friendly scumbags to each other and pulling a fast one on there enemies with the cheapest of victories.

Honorary:
                      Non Non Biyori Nostop: final season, but show had one to many Renge episodes for me to make it to the top 10
                      Yuru Camp s2: felt more like visiting tourist attractions than camping this time, still some great episodes in there like the cold night one
                      SSSS.Dynazenon: great little super robot show, loose sequel to the previous gridman show (also SSSS)
                      Tensei Sh*tara Slime Datta Ken s2: the slime became a super power house early on in the season removing all tension, but was still a decent watch.
                      Uma Musume s2: horse girl racing, but they do such a fantastic job of hyping the racing with all the real life results effecting the story, probably had some of the best 'shounen' battles this year.
                      Horimya - high school love drama following 2 odd teens dating throughout there 3 years at school
                      Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka - isekai with the MC reincarnated as spider, falls down abit with the show spending to much time on the human characters.
                      Godzilla: S.P - abit to slow for me and the CGI wasn't the best, but the story grabbed me and i'm looking forward to sequel.
                      Standing on a Million Live's - isekai following the moral break down of the MC, his realisation and coping of that in order to survive increasing hard quests.

Still need to watch ODD Taxi, JoJo part6: s1, about 6 more starwars anime eps and Demon Slayers Infinite Train, which i really need to get around to soon as the proper season 2 is now 3eps in.

Comment

Demon slayer Entertainment Arc S2 or S3 depending if you call mugen train season 2 is just absolutely amazing and becoming my favourite anime

The Mugen train arc was also amazing

Anime is just absolutely beautiful as is the story and if the demons later on are better than gyutaro (moon upper six) then it's just gonna get better and better
                        Last edited by buster_broon; 13-02-2022, 15:59.

Comment

Have downloaded a few new shows as all the ones i have been watching have mostly ended seasons or totally done. Ousama ranking is just amazing the story has me with no clue on whats gonna happen next upto episode 19 and it's not lost any of it's pull Bojji is so likeable, a totally pure kind person in a world that's anything but in fact the story frequently get's extremely dark. My current favourite of this year, also started kimetsu no yaiba to see why japan has been going bonkers for it only watched the first few episodes it's not gripped me yet but i will say this the animation quality is insane it's like anime movie quality i need to press through as i think i just need to watch more to get into it have the first 2 seasons to give it a chance.

Had no idea there was more jojo to watch i'll try and track that one down too as i have really enjoyed the previous series.

As for onepiece it's as awesome as ever curious to see if Luffy finally realises his true devil fruit power awakening like when he fought Katakuri & used the fight to train at the same time although i want to see what the deal is with Luffys fruit,

it apparently had another name that the world government suppressed knowedge of regarding the void century but it might explain why he and a few others can hear the sea kings as well as Zunesha. Been enjoying reading up on the theories of what laugh tale actually is my current fave which seems to fit is laughtale is a living island like Zoa a hidden ancient weapon, it was still a baby when Roger found it which is why he said he arrived too early.

Oda's story is like nothing else so many threads weaving back & forth over decades now all relevent if you look tthrough the episodes for the clues.

stuck part in a spoiler tag as it could potentially be a massive one

Comment

Ousama Ranking just keeps getting better and better by the episode, love new OP credits to. Just watched ep19 myself.. soon as Bosse returned, i was shouting "Kill'um'all" and the afterlife bit dammmmmnnn.

At least the Straw Hats look leave wano in 2022 in the manga with the final fight coming to a head, i remember moaning about this arc going on forever in 2020 with some talking up chapter 1000 being a biggy , we're now on ch1041 and nothing's changed at all other than knowing a tiny amount about Joyboy and LaughTale, and ultimately nothing big story advancing wise will happen until we get the Poneglyph stone which will be in the wano cleanup/leaving chapters. The Ace .5 chapters (i think since ch1000) telling his story with someone else drawing the art was lot more interesting than what is going on right now.

Comment

I love how all the characters in ousama ranking are your stereotypical bad guys at the start you think it's just going to be a typical good vs bad type thing but then you are shown how everythings not so simple and everyone has reasons for doing what they do and not your usual one dimensional bad guys. Miranjo is a really good example, her back story is brutal and yet i find myself kind of rooting for her at the same time. Hope her story ends up a happy one as man there's some dark stuff in this show.

Even seeing the deal Bojjis dad made to gain power which is why Bojji was born so weak was a total dick move and at that point made me intensely dislike him and yet i feel there's going to be a reason for that too as the story progresses. I'm finding the week wait between episodes pretty harsh.
                              Last edited by importaku; 06-03-2022, 10:31.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                                I love how all the characters in ousama ranking are your stereotypical bad guys at the start you think it's just going to be a typical good vs bad type thing but then you are shown how everythings not so simple and everyone has reasons for doing what they do and not your usual one dimensional bad guys. Miranjo is a really good example, her back story is brutal and yet i find myself kind of rooting for her at the same time. Hope her story ends up a happy one as man there's some dark stuff in this show.

Even seeing the deal Bojjis dad made to gain power which is why Bojji was born so weak was a total dick move and at that point made me intensely dislike him and yet i feel there's going to be a reason for that too as the story progresses. I'm finding the week wait between episodes pretty harsh.
                                i assume the little devil(in the OP) and big devil are the same person so we're still missing backstory to what was the first broken promise, and i'm not sure what the second promise was either as all we know it was broken when she was dying, i don't think it's the same as Bosse promise/pact. I think Bosse wanted power to take on the gods or prepare for whatever plan the God who cleansed Miranjo village mentioned about dealing with humans in the future.

Comment

Working...
                                X