Anime and Manga Thread: 2nd Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by importaku View Post
    I was looking forward to chainsaw man but i find the simp undertones really off putting so far watched the first 3 episodes when the main protagonist's only ambition is to cop a feel of some boobs it's a bit sad really i love the style and animation but this kind of virgin fantasy fanservice i'm finding a bit cringey which is why I really don't enjoy harem anime that much either. I'll keep with it hoping it improves i'm praying the whole manga isn't nothing but this and it evolves into a good story.

One Piece continues to be amazing fun, I'm gonna be devastated when this show eventually ends.
    You'll be happy to know the series does move beyond Denji's teenage dreams which I'm also happy to see as I had the same concerns of it being quite simple. Other characters are introduced and existing ones such as Aki receieve more attention which is good to see (I kind of like seeing how Makima manipulates Denji given his simple desires in order to get his full cooperation).

I hear you on One Piece ending but its inevitable given Oda's getting nearer to 50 years of age. The current manga arc is also hopefully going to be a short one that provides answers to some of the series' longest running mysteries. I'm ready for the final arc and Oda's putting the pieces in place with certain characters encountering or facing off against each other.

I managed to see the newest film (OP film Red) again today in a great quality IMAX screen at a local Cineworld. I felt fortunate that I was that only one in there but also a little sad as it probably means that most people saw it during opening weekend and barely anyone else will bother to watch it now (a shame given audiences seem more than happy to watch a new Marvel film still but won't turn out much for this). Hopefully we can continue to receive Western releases of be Japanese animated films within three months of their original release (I never thought we'd get One Piece films shown at local cinemas unless part of a film festival but times have changed for the better thankfully).

Comment

Yesterday I saw an anime movie with a friend at the cinema. First time I've watch anime at the cinema in over 20 years. Mainly because they don't provide subtitles. Yes, I can speak Japanese but watching a movie is a different thing. Anyway, surprisingly I had no trouble understanding the movie. I felt just as if I was watching an English anime.

So what did I see? In Japanese it's called すずめの戸締まり (Suzume's door lock) but I beleive in English it's just being called Suzume (main character's name, not a sparrow).
      It was a pretty well animated movie with a crap load of product placement from the phone apps used (Line and Spotify) to shops, delivery services and even joysound karaoke. Funny thing was that this product placement didn't seem out of place at all.
      The actual movie is basically about how earthquakes happen in Japan. I won't mention it but I bet you never would have guessed what causes an earthquake in this movie.
      Sadly the action scenes are basically repeated 3 times which kind of gets tiresome by the third time. My friend enjoyed the movie though.

Check out there trailer if you're interested.

Comment

Mobile suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury first season has just finished.

I was rather 50/50 about this series waiting for something more dramatic and more action driven to really kick the story into gear and boooooooy did the last episode deliver!

Really looking forward to the next season due in April!

Comment

Originally posted by Blobcat View Post
          Mobile suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury first season has just finished.

I was rather 50/50 about this series waiting for something more dramatic and more action driven to really kick the story into gear and boooooooy did the last episode deliver!

Really looking forward to the next season due in April!
          haha, yeah it's not gundam without some teenagers getting to see carnage or get the messed up in the head, loved the 'splat' moment, out of nowhere.

Watched most of the new stuff out, few highlights

Nier Automatia 1.1a - ep1 followed the game closely, the ending credit was pretty fun with them doing what seems to be a 'alternative ending' with puppets.

Handyman Isekai - fun skits of a Handyman adventures in a fantasy world.

Slow life in my 30's now i've been fired by the demon lord - i really enjoyed the manga a few years ago, and ep1 was good.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post

So what did I see? In Japanese it's called すずめの戸締まり (Suzume's door lock) but I beleive in English it's just being called Suzume (main character's name, not a sparrow).
            Thanks for your thoughts on the film. It’s one I’ve had my eye on and is due out over here in April.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
              Thanks for your thoughts on the film. It’s one I’ve had my eye on and is due out over here in April.
              I was pretty sleepy when I wrote the above thoughts but yeah, it did start to drag on a little I thought near the third battle.
              Of course there is more to the story that just the earthquake aspect but I can't help in thinking I've seen it all before and that's coming from someone who hasn't watched an anime movie is years.
              I am interested in seeing how the Spotify sections are handled. Would they replace the music tracks with some modern western crap or keep the classic 80s Japanese tracks by idol singers?

Comment

I hope they keep the original soundtrack specifically if it’s a subtitled version of the film.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                  I'm a huge fan of Makoto Shinkai's work so I'm really looking forward to seeing Suzume!!

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                    Yesterday I saw an anime movie with a friend at the cinema. First time I've watch anime at the cinema in over 20 years. Mainly because they don't provide subtitles. Yes, I can speak Japanese but watching a movie is a different thing. Anyway, surprisingly I had no trouble understanding the movie. I felt just as if I was watching an English anime.

It was a pretty well animated movie with a crap load of product placement from the phone apps used (Line and Spotify) to shops, delivery services and even joysound karaoke. Funny thing was that this product placement didn't seem out of place at all.
                    The actual movie is basically about how earthquakes happen in Japan. I won't mention it but I bet you never would have guessed what causes an earthquake in this movie.
                    Sadly the action scenes are basically repeated 3 times which kind of gets tiresome by the third time. My friend enjoyed the movie though.

Check out there trailer if you're interested.
                    I've read that this has made lots of money at the Japanese box office. Is the repeated action sequence relevant to the main story and does it make sense in context?

I'll wait for the announcement of a Western release for this and see if I can watch it at that time (though most of his films rotate around similar themes you have to give credit for Shinkai creating some interesting stories that cross the boundary between reality and sci-fi).

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                      I've read that this has made lots of money at the Japanese box office. Is the repeated action sequence relevant to the main story and does it make sense in context?

I'll wait for the announcement of a Western release for this and see if I can watch it at that time (though most of his films rotate around similar themes you have to give credit for Shinkai creating some interesting stories that cross the boundary between reality and sci-fi).
                      The action scenes are releated to the story but they don't differ from each other besides the location. With that in mind, they aren't too relevant IMO as the basis is set with the first action scene. We know what must be done from that.
                      Still, it was a lovely looking film and it was great to see on the Big Screen with Dolby Atmos sound. I probably wouldn't watch it again though.

Comment

Nier Automata 1.1a, disappeared 1 and a 1/2 months due to a lack of animators around christmas and chinese new year, so returned last week with ep4 and this week ep5. Not a 1 for 1 adaption anymore, which it is all the better for as i quite liked the extended jackass stuff and the changes made for Emil and Pascal, got massive nostalgia whiff for 9S hacking into Emil memories and the music that plays with it

Ep5 outro gave us the alternate ending i've been waiting to see animated (involved certain clothes exploding), feels like ep5 has some more of Taro's touches, plenty of ass shots including the quick slide down the ladder.

Comment

for those watching one piece still, any episodes after 1033 that are well animated/directed episodes (examples "recently" 1015,17,18,27,28,33)

Comment

Started watching the English dub of hells paradise and it got me I’ve started watching Jigokuraku as I couldn’t wait for the dub

Absolutely loving it and Kimetsu no yaiba

Comment

Hells Paradise has one of those openings i can't skip, fun show. and you can never go wrong with Demon Slayer, i'm enjoying the new swordsmith arc.

Spring 2023 got a some good romance/SOL/high school shows in it this season, Skip to Loafer, Dangers of the Heart, Yamada to Lv999 and my favourite as reader of the manga, Insomniacs After School which has best ending credits of the season (followed by Konosuba Megumin side story), great song over great covers from the manga.

Comment

Onepiece has been building to this very moment & the wait has been agonising, finally to see Luffy awaken the full power of his devil fruit. The trailer has me HYYYPED. Watching CP0 trying to stop it from happening & them been part of the reason it actually happens is pretty ironic.

Shoved spoilers around the youtube vid as the thumbnail is kind of a spoiler too.

Comment

Working...
                                X