No announcement yet.

Anime and Manga Thread: 2nd Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How come so many anime shows feature demons and suchlike? That aspect seems to be quite heavily pimped from what I can see. Is it just a cultural thing?

Comment

Yeah, it seems to be very much a cultural thing... I really have no interest in Urotsukidoji and the such. Although the young ladies involved always seems to be thoroughly enjoying multiple demon tentacle penetration.

Comment

I think that's more down what you select to view, that list above about the big shows for spring feature 0 demons in the religious/ghost sense, if you watch a lot of shonen specially with fantasy elements or any horror/thriller shows you comes across Youkai alot more.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
          Yeah, it seems to be very much a cultural thing... I really have no interest in Urotsukidoji and the such. Although the young ladies involved always seems to be thoroughly enjoying multiple demon tentacle penetration.
          Yeah, its just something that stuck out as so different because a lot of titles reuse most of the common western tropes but then there is this whole subset based around demonology that seems to be strictly an Eastern thing as the Western media just isn't as saturated with it. Just weird really, I was wondering what inspired this kind of thinking and how it relates to the culture as a whole as I'm totally ignorant of that aspect of Japanese life bar a quick bit of searching earlier.

Originally posted by Tobal View Post
          I think that's more down what you select to view, that list above about the big shows for spring feature 0 demons in the religious/ghost sense, if you watch a lot of shonen specially with fantasy elements or any horror/thriller shows you comes across Youkai alot more.
          I'd watched Death Note (which was really quite dope until it jumped the shark and then reversed over said shark for a good measure before jumping over its corpse again) and that whole shinigami thing made me do some searching because I wanted to know if it was made up or had a point of reference and then checked a few other sites and saw that it actually has its own subset of shows that talk of similar things and was wondering of its origin and cultural implication as its not something that well known by most foreigners.

Comment

If you interested in origins there is a comedy show called Hozuki no Reitetsu, which centres around Japanese hell (and sometimes wonders into western and chinese hell/heaven) and history of its demons/ghosts in folklore. First season is 13eps, and s2 is currently airing which will be another 26eps when it's finished. As for why it popular is probably down Shinto being main religion, as it full of morale tales collected together from long gone villages forming its backbone of mythology, that's just an assumption made by me through anime i've seen , probably best looking up wiki.

Comment

I haven't seen any anime for years and I stumble across a 3rd series of full metal panic (4th if you include fumoffu) so got 3 episodes of it and I'm back haha

I recently got this tattoo's on my back with one more thing left to add, which anime is it from haha

Last edited by buster_broon; 01-05-2018, 17:22.

Comment

Can't see whatever that photo is...

Yeah new Fullmetal Panic is really nice to, and for them to be able to pull off what seems like almost the exacted 00's art style(with more CGI) and get all the original VA's back after 13 year absence and make it feel like i'm watching a sequel that came out in 2005 is fantastic. Though i would say Chidori's VA does sound a tad to old for high school girl nowadays.

And if anyone's not watching Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii this season, do so it's brilliant, about a few office workers, drinking, nerdly passions and troubles with dating normies or other nerds.

Comment

Got stuck into the One Punch Man manga last week and just finished volume 14. Bit late to it but I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Comment

Up to date with One Punch Man and started on Dragonball.
                    Wow. No wonder Japanese guys are so messed up if the first volume is anything to go by. Bulma gets a Dragonball from Kamesennin (Master Roshi?) by showing him her underwear. Except she's not wearing any as Goku took them off her the previous night and freaked when he saw she didn't have a penis. Then Yamucha sees her topless in the shower (as do we).

It's bad enough that I JUST WANT TO GET TO THE FIGHTING.

Comment

I’ve been trying to catch up with all my unread comics... last week I was on the Ninja Turtles IDW Collection 6 and the crossovers: both volumes of Ghostbusters, TMNT Adventures/Batman Animated as well as the darker more serious Batman crossover. The second hardback volume of which comes out in August. Also a lovely hardback Usagi Yojimbo/Turtles one-off. Because why just limit yourself to Ninja Turtles when you can have Samurai bunny rabbits too...

This past week I've been on a manga mission. I’m caught up now with Overlord and Lord Marksman & Vanadis. I’m on the fourth out of 7 currently available volumes of Clockwork Planet, which is awesome and well recommended... then once I’m caught up with that there’s six volumes of Gundam Thunderbolt to get on with.

I’d like to start on RG Veda but volume 3 seems to be constantly delayed... lord only knows what’s going on with it.

Comment

Ninja Batman.

Errrrm, this was awesome. Fantastic artwork and animation with an utterly bonkers story.

Comment

Ooh, I got that in Tesco, I was waiting to watch it with my son. Glad to hear it’s good, looking forward to Friday even more now...

Comment

Kenichi Sonoda wants to make more Bean Bandit... this is a good thing.

Also Gunsmith Cats Explosive Edition

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madoverlord/gunsmith-cats-explosive-edition

Comment

Darling inthe Franxx ep20 - it took long while to reveal their hand in way most of Trigger's big mecha shows do, but it finally went completely nuts. I kept expecting APE to get their roll reversal but i did not expect they would get to TTGL levels... and now because of this i can't see this ending with just 1 season as there is so much left to cover or to give a decent closure to (which is all the Franxx pilots at this point and Nana). Top Stuff after a slow start.

Comment

One can never have enough of Ghost In the Shell

Comment

Working...
                                X