• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    One can never have enough of Ghost In the Shell

Oh that’s sexy

Comment

Didn’t know about this.... and this Zavvi code will get you an additional 15% off, bringing it down to a very reasonable £85:

2YN61-9ME8-CN4I

Comment

Eighty five quid for another release of GitS? I love the film but that's a bit rich for me.

Comment

This is both of the Stand Alone Complex TV series, plus the three OAVs...

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
            Yes, it's a lovely collection for a fantastic bit of Anime

Comment

I really wish they’d do some sort of deluxe Blu-ray release like this for all of the Patlabor TV and OAVs...

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
                I haven't seen any anime for years and I stumble across a 3rd series of full metal panic (4th if you include fumoffu) so got 3 episodes of it and I'm back haha

I recently got this tattoo's on my back with one more thing left to add, which anime is it from haha

Are you referring to FMP: Infinite Victory? If so, is it worth watching? I enjoyed The Second Raid immensely and am happy to get back on board if this series is of that calibur.

Comment

Well, that makes me look stupid doesn't it. lol

I may look into buying this now.

Comment

I really wish they’d do some sort of deluxe Blu-ray release like this for all of the Patlabor TV and OAVs...
                    Me too, though I still happy that I picked up the rather brilliant CE of the Patlabor films back in the day

Comment

I got the UK versions of Initial D Legend 1 and 2 on blu ray recently.

Comment

Thought I'd ask here in case anyone has some idea - does anyone have an uncut version of the English dub of Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie?

I recently got around to watching the DVD version I had sitting on my shelf, and was stunned to discover that it's different to the VHS version I had in the 90s. The dialogue is different, and there are some clumsy edits to the video. In particular it ruins some of the beats of the Chun-Li/Vega fight, which is probably the best part of the movie!

The strange thing is that it keeps all the Chun Li nudity in the shower scene, but then tones down the naughty words in the dialogue. It's bizarre. Then, the instant Vega appears and that KMDFM Ultra song starts up there's a really clumsy edit which ruins the start of the scene!

I don't normally download stuff on the yarr, but as I've bought the movie I thought I'd look into this, and I've now seen a bunch of versions with different content. It's weird, because the VHS version I had in the 90s definitely had less Chun-Li nudity, but had more profanity in the dialogue. Evidently multiple versions of the movie exist.

Apparently a US company called Discotek did a full uncut version, and I've emailed them to find out where I can buy that DVD, but still - anyone else looked into this?

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                        Me too, though I still happy that I picked up the rather brilliant CE of the Patlabor films back in the day
                        Actually I know something about this; I asked a distributor at an anime con who said they had performed due diligence on it as a project - apparently there can't be a BD of Patlabor 1 & 2 for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, the movies were made on a stock which means a BD wouldn't look much better than the original, or so they said.

Secondly, the English dub is recorded to a standard that wouldn't sound much better on a BD. Some might not care about this, but obviously this is important to the distributors who might make the BD, as it being sub-only cuts into potential profits as those movies exist from an era when people were probably more likely to watch dubbed anime. I generally prefer subbed but I usually watch Patlabor dubbed, because that's how I first came into contact with it on Manga Video.

They said that someone may in the future do a BD version, and it will look a bit better than DVD, but not enough to really justify the time/expense from their perspective.

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                        I got the UK versions of Initial D Legend 1 and 2 on blu ray recently.
                        Oh? What are these? I wasn't aware of them. I've seen the whole show up until the last stage; are these new?

Comment

They are reinvisioned versions of the first stage

Comment

All of Patlabor is available on Blu-ray as American Region A. It’s just the four TV series sets alone on import cost a fortune... and I found the movies a bit slow to be honest. All that’s officially available over here seems to be the first 7 episode OAV series.

I’d love a high quality box set with the first 7 OAVs, the 47 TV episodes and the 16 episode New Files OAV.

Comment

The last of springs shows are now finished, so a round up of what i watched.

Sword Art Online - GGO Alt - 12eps, spinoff with its own cast playing gun gale online which featured for a while in the mainline show. Follows girl with height issues(being tall) getting to play a shortarse loli which spec'd out for speed, competing in a Squad jam (squad battle royal). Good fun with some decent gun fights, brains and dirty tactics being used so it's not all about broken characters, and surprisingly it's funny. Definitely worth a shot.

Darling in the Franxx - 24eps - trigger mecha action, humanities living in moving cities after messing up the planet and having to fight off monsters using expendable teen pilots. Story follows a squad given more freedom in their downtime as an experiment to see if it produces stronger pilots, which starts to go awry with the introduction of a half breed human/monster as a pilot. Starts off slow with small beginnings as all triggers mecha shows to, and they plant the seeds for things being "off" about this war, but sadly it does take the best part of 18eps to get to the point by which time you've already guessed most of what's going, aside the ending which does go full Gunbuster... including the epilogue which felt like a homage to (including EVA/macross), though the slownless helps by letting the characters grow so it meant alot more to me when i did get to the ending. Animation is average, occasionally peaking for the bigger fights and the Art does feel like they've built from previous works without changing much (Gunbuster2 and TTGL come to mind the most). Thumbs up, enjoyed the story, liked the characters growing up and the ending is pretty great to.

Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii - 11eps - fun relationship comedy/drama about working adults hiding/releasing their powerlevels, lots product placement instead of fake shows/games/manga used which is unusual so it's fun to see them messing around in mario kart or monster hunter.

Hinamatsuri - 12eps - comedy around a weapons grade psychic girls ending up in japan after a few mishaps, the main girl Hina ends up with living with a Yakuza, who has to put up with her selfish and lazy ways. Most of the laughs for me came from the secondary and quite heavily featured Hitomi, normal girl always in the wrong place at the wrong time ending up in all types of strange situations, worth watching for her, great straight man role.

Golden Kamuy - 11eps - set just after the russo-japanese war early 1900's, following japanese soldier looking for a mountain of hidden gold with a map to it tattoo'd on to the back of 50 odd escaped prisoners. Really good show and pretty violent to, only knock against it is the low budget so alot of the unimportant scenes look crap and it clearly an advertisement for the manga so i can only hope we get another season or 4 with where they stop on ep11.

Hisone to Masotan - 12eps - japans hides dragons as planes and trains compatiable pilots (seemingly socially broken people) to fly from inside the dragons stomach. Fun and charming show with some likeable characters(especially the MC girl) and story that actually goes places.

Megalo Box ending up being really disappointing, Legend of Galactic heroes is pretty niche but i really like space/war operas, Uma Musume is a silly but fun Sports show, Full Metal Panic IV is very serious and full of death, My hero Academy had a fantastic ending arc to the introduction of All for one.
                              Last edited by Tobal; 08-07-2018, 00:00.

Comment

Darling in the Franxx sounds interesting... and it’s on Crunchyroll too, might have to give it a go.

Comment

Working...
                                X