No announcement yet.

Anime and Manga Thread: 2nd Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MENTION=16665]Blobcat[/MENTION] So would you recommend conventions as the best place to sell manga? I have an absolute ton to get rid of, some still wrapped and unread, but the shipping kills it, especially when Amazon can post it essentially for free.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
      [MENTION=16665]Blobcat[/MENTION] So would you recommend conventions as the best place to sell manga? I have an absolute ton to get rid of, some still wrapped and unread, but the shipping kills it, especially when Amazon can post it essentially for free.
      Selling at conventions is a bit of a mixed bag.

Bring and buy stalls rather than independent/ brand sellers are one of my main reasons I go to cons. There is such a mix of what you can find, retro, trending, a rare gem or something completely random.

If you are expecting to make your money back what you paid, don't even think it. After many years going to cons we have found a good system that works for us, which is to make 2 piles.

One is stuff we don't want to take back so sell cheap (for manga I tend to put 50p or bundle series up where they are less than £1 per book.)
      The second is stuff we don't mind taking back which is given a reasonable pricetag(still cheaper than Ebay/ new) . We did very well this year selling all my manga except for 2 which one I got for 50p last year (I gave that away for free to staff in the end) and a large print of a Clamp manga which was in Japanese (already had manga, thought it was an artbook). I sold my Love Hina collection finally after slashing the 14 volume series down to £10 I think? And I sold the 23 volume (+fan book) of Fruits basket for £40 almost immediately as I placed it on the table as the seller wanted it. Out of 43 items we sold 32, gave away I think 6 items to the gofers running the stand and came home with the rest that should sell another time. Most of my manga in this category were priced £1-3 each.

I dont have any experience selling manga outside of conventions. I buy quite a lot online new/ used manga from Amazon mainly, sometimes AbeBooks or Ebay if I'm after specific volumes so they get a lot of business from me in a year.

Comment

Pokémon: The Power of Us coming to select cinemas in the UK: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...r_and_december

Edit: Just booked the tickets for 24th November, off to see the pokemans for my birthday again. Although it is a bit later this year...
        Last edited by _SD_; 02-10-2018, 15:13.

Comment

Summer season has finished, mostly pleased as my current favorite genre(thanks to konosuba), good friends being bastards to each others because they can, which is quite prevalent this season in Asobi Asobose, Chiyo-chan and Grand blue.

Good:
          Asobi Asobase
          Chiyo School Road
          Yama no Suzume s3
          High Score Girl
          Attack on Titan s3

Average (but enjoyable)
          Hanebado
          Grand Blue
          Hataraku Saibou
          Angolmois

bad (but continued to watch due to fan service or previous season commitments)
          Overlord s3
          Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu

The Autumn season coming up and most interesting to me are
          Goblin Slayer (by far my most hyped show, but i expect the animation to cheap)
          the return of Fail Tail for the final arc
          Index s3
          Golden kamuy s2
          Jojo Part 5
          Sword Art Online Alicization

Comment

Posh Totoro Anniversary blu-ray box set up for pre-order on Amazon ... for any Studio Ghibli super-fans out there:

Comment

I think that's going on my wish but I think I might have the blu-ray already...

Comment

Batman Ninja has gone on Netflix. Great film and well worth a watch.

Comment

Anime Limited announced they would be releasing Cyber City Oedo 808 (among other things) at some point.

Also Magic Knight Rayearth!

Comment

Batman Ninja is indeed worth watching.

I’d like to see Oedo 808 again, I had the three OAVs on VHS when they first got released by Manga Video. I’m sure they were dubbed too... yeah, seeing it again subtitled would be quite cool.

Comment

My recent hoard from a convention over the weekend, well most of it anyways. I have a MASSIVE poster of the one of the images used at the con signed by the artist which I won in the charity auction, some Animal Crossing fan art stickers and an awesome dust sprite/ Spirited Away keyring. Oh and some Triforce earrings!

Best buys were Elsie Nenderoid from The World God Only Knows and the Black Jack art book, both from the Bring and Buy stall.

And yes the manga volume above is a yaoi but sadly there is nothing interesting about it apart from the name alone which is why I parted with a quid - Only The Ring Finger Knows

I was laughing all day about it.
                      Last edited by Blobcat; 08-11-2018, 20:17.

Comment

The bring and buy at Hibana wasn't great for my usual buying habits. That's to be expected of a smaller con though I suppose! Forgot you and Asura were going, I really enjoyed myself personally!

Comment

Maquia and Fireworks are getting released in the UK within the next month so i've put pre-orders for them in and noticed 5cm per Second finally has a UK blu-ray release, which previously was only officially available on DVD or French/German Sub Blu-ray... can finally replace my 720p rip from years ago.

Not much to add about the autumn season, top shows for me SAO, Goblin Slayer, Bookseller Honda-san, Bunny girl senpai, SSSS Gridman and "re"-slime. For any fans of Kaiju/Ultraman stuff Gridman is alot of fun, and best new show for me is probably Bunny Girl, it's monogatari-lite and all the better for it (specially with SHAFTS art-style getting old hat). Index s3 turned in a trainwreck, i have no idea what is going it's that much of a mess from the random dropping of main story plots to random people and groups mentioned every couple of minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                            The bring and buy at Hibana wasn't great for my usual buying habits. That's to be expected of a smaller con though I suppose! Forgot you and Asura were going, I really enjoyed myself personally!
                            Yeah, [MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION] bought 1-2 things and I bought him a couple that were meant to go towards Christmas but I just forgot.

I have a huge poster from the Charity auction I have no where to put up so need to buy a tube to store it in.
                            We had fun too, plan to go next year hopefully as long as wedding planning doesn't mess things up, Tokonatsu is more of a priority for us as we have been going there for years now.

I love Bring and buys, they are like nerdy charity shops, you never know what treasure you might find. We sold a fair few things as well but I had to stop buying as we are full to capacity of books so I buy and sell pretty quickly rather than storing now with few exceptions.

Need to watch more Bunny girl, only watched first 2 episodes.

Comment

Gegege no kitaro continuing to be fantastic they really are keeping the quality up the animation is pretty awesome. Finally a retelling that improves on the previous decades, one arc closes but the bigger arc is yet to come. It makes sundays worth looking forward to as i know i can catch up with that & onepiece although that katakuri fight is dragging now in onepiece, come on luffy just get that damn observation haki polished up & end this.

Comment

my top 20 shows from 2018, no briefs descriptions as everything but the 4 winter shows (SAOs3,Slayer,Gridman,Bunny-senpai) have something in the thread about them

01) Sora yori mo Tooi Basho (A Place Further Than The Universe)
                                02) 3-gatsu no Lion s3 (March comes in like a lion)
                                03) Asobi Asobase
                                04) Yuru Camp
                                05) Bunny girl senpai
                                06) SSSS Gridman
                                07) Goblin Slayer
                                08) Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii (It's Difficult to Love an Otaku)
                                09) Violet Evergarden
                                10) Chiyo School Road
                                11) High Score Girl
                                12) Sword Arts Online: GGO
                                13) Hisone to Masotan
                                14) Sword Arts Online: Alt (s3)
                                15) Hinamatsuri
                                16) Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san (Teasing Master Takagi-san)
                                17) Darling in the Franxx
                                18) Attack on Titan s3
                                19) Devilman Crybaby
                                20) Golden kamuy

Comment

Working...
                                X