Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone built a small form factor PC just for emulation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone built a small form factor PC just for emulation?

I've got so much Retro stuff, it's just too much to keep at hand.

Was thinking of finally building my own 'console' to go under my TV.

Sure, I have my Wii Softmodded along with my XBOX etc etc, but I've always wanted to do this.

Got experience in building my gaming setup, but never built anything this small or specific in its intent.

Anyone got any tips? I'd much rather build it myself as I like a project and I can specifically suit it to meet my needs.

Was hoping to build something that runs up to N64/PS1 with various filters turned on. Though would be nice to put my Dreamcast and Gamecube away too (since I'll probably retire the Wii when I get a Wii-U).

I'd run Windows 7 that boots up to an emulation front end.

This is what I'd be thinking:

Requirements:

- very small form factor.
    - emulate everything up to N64 (maybe later if cheap enough).
    - tight budget.
    - front USB ports (for controllers).
    - wi fi.
    - turn it on via a remote or controller.
    - ample storage.
    - quiet if possible.
    - looks stylish enough to sit under TV.
    - HDMI out.

I built my friend an ITX system that's around the size of a GameCube for video editing.

You could most likely get away with not having a GPU if you consider the Intel HD4000 in Ivy Bridge based CPUs. AMD APU may be an option too but I'm not sure if there's any FM2 ITX boards available yet.

Naturally small form factor will mean the cost will increase over a regular ATX build but you know.

Comment

I'd love to have a crack at something like this for an emu pc:

Build a Nintendo NES PC: Ah, the Nintendo Entertainment System. Brings me back a lot of good memories: Super Mario Bros., Double Dragon, Megaman. It also brings back not-so-great memories. The agony of changing cartridges, blowing until you're dizzy and still getting nothin…

Maybe I will one day. Speedy is right though, if you're going for something compact the components are going to be more expensive.

Comment

I've been thinking about getting one of these for emulation.

Buy from Scan - Intel NUC Core i5-3427U Dual Core 1.8GHz, DDR3 SO-DIMM, mSATA 6GB/s, Intel HD Graphics 4000, 350MHz GPU

Comment

Will be keeping a close eye on this thread as I'm currently researching ultra small form factor PCs to put under the telly as my emulation powerhouse. I've also noticed a few android boxes popping up but they don't have enough juice to run newer mame editions.

Other emulators are well done on Android especially the Robert Broglia emulators. Nexus 10 is my emulation powerhouse at the moment but looking to get a emulation box as well. Will report back with more info

Comment

You can get some mini ITX FM2 boards so that may be an option with APU. Thing about the Intel NUC is it doesnt come with anything - no memory, no storage or wireless connectivity.... but you could probably spec one for under ?500 still.

Comment

So I priced up some bits. Very rough at the moment, nothing settled.

Want something like this case, which is smaller than the XBOX 360 Slim:

To fit that case, parts that would easily do N64 emulation and below:

?35 - case (power supply included)
              ?70 - motherboard (plenty of options here for less or more, but ?70 will get you everything)
              ?60 - processor (debatable, 3.6ghz dual core)
              ?50 - 8GB DD3 RAM
              ?5 - wi fi card
              ?10 - DVD drive
              ???? - Hard drive (depends on size)

?20 - bits (cables etc, maybe card reader if case allows)

As you can see, it's not 'overly' expensive. Obviously the big omission here is a dedicated graphics card which needs to be questioned. OS and emulator front end software too if needed.

What I basically would like to know is:

1. Do emulators rely more on CPU or GPU?
              2. Are on board graphics enough? For <N64 yes probably, but what about Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube? What about image improving filters <N64 too
              3. Is RAM a big factor for emulators?
              4. How much CPU power do I really need?
              Do emulators take advantage of multiple cores or not?

If anyone can help answer those questions, then it would be helpful to me (and others).

Comment

1. Depends on the emulator and the machine you are trying to emulate. In general, CPU is far more important. With emulators for more advanced hardware such as the PS2 or GameCube, the CPU remains extremely important but you will also need a decent GPU.
                Emulators that try to go for perfect cycle accuracy (such as higan, a cycle-accurate Snes emulator) can require a fairly beefy CPU.

2. See above, I suppose. Onboard graphics should be fine for anything up to the PS1, maybe N64. Above that, you will need a somewhat decent GPU. In the case of the Dreamcast, you can get away with a relative modest GPU, though.

3. No not really. As long as you have enough. No less than 4GB.

4. Depends on the emulator. Most emulators aren't really designed with multiple cores in mind, but PS2 and GameCube emulators are increasingly utilising more than 2 cores.

I'll let somebody else recommend a GPU, because I'm a bit out of the loop with those right now.

Comment

Thanks Shakey.

The main problem with the GPU would be fitting it into the case. Would have to be a low profile GPU but even then, some of them are too big for certain cases. Research will have to be done on specific cases, and sadly I think compromises will have to be made on the size and style of the unit as a result.

Comment

I don't think you'll necessarily need a high-end chunky graphics card - the CPU will remain the bottleneck either way. You won't be able to get way with onboard graphics if you fancy emulating anything like the PS2, GameCube or Wii, though.

If you can find a low profile mid-range card, that would be plenty.

Comment

I used to run full frame Neo Geo, Snes, Megadrive & MAME (upto a point) on a 733mhz w/32mb geforce so really 16bit can be run on a grain of sand, that includes the likes of DodOnPachi, ESP RaDe on MAME. Like Shakey is saying though N64 bit will need a bit more, but barely anything earth shattering.

Comment

GC and PS2 will require vastly more though.

I'd consider forgetting about them personally. Will hugely increase power consumption, noise, heat... Gross.

We used to play N64 emulators at school on a similar system to the above. Didn't look great, but it worked. Had 256MB of RAM though iirc.

Comment

I quite like this idea, I would need someone to build it for me though and set it up!

Comment

Probably be a better solution for playing Neo Geo stuff than a PS3 for sure.

I've got my laptop set up beside me for some Third Strike action when I like. Somehow I prefer emulated AC version over the PS3/360 release.

Having a 4:3 laptop helps a lot.

Comment

Some further research:

AMD Accelerated Processing Units.

CPU & GPU in one chip.

People seems to get good results from them.

This one seems good:

Failing that, none of the really small and stylish cases will allow the fitting of a graphic cards, even a low profile one.

This is the smallest and most stylish case that the 'internet' seems to recommend:

Not bad at: 96mm (H) x 222mm (W) x 328mm (D). Around the size of a phat XBOX 360 I think.

Importantly, it has that expansion slot.

Going to investigate the AMD APUs more. See what kind of power they push out graphically.

It's interesting stuff for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X