Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mogg is just... he resembles someone who would play a scientist working an a Nazi lab in a movie. If he's not seen as two faced too then he's covered it well enough with trashy tabloid readers, with his sniffling flip flopping I see either the before image or this one:

"Vote for Me!"

Boris is on it already though to get those votes into the system...

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
      I think all the support for people like Farage, Johnson, and Mogg is down to people being desperate to find politicians who seem to be straight talking, honest, and to some degree in touch with reality. Lots of people genuinely feel that Farage and Mogg are more trustworthy than most people in politics..
      If that's the case then they are very bad judges of character; none of those traits apply to any of those men. I wouldn't trust them to look after my cat. And I don't even own a cat.

Comment

Not sure if all Leon’s post is serious (if so, my apologies for misinterpreting) but, yeah, the idea that Mogg, a snivelling scheming Etonian Viz caricature made flesh, is connected to the common man, is straight talking or trustworthy is hilarious. The weasels from Wind In The Willows would be a safer bet and certainly more contemporary.

But maybe that’s part of it. In Ireland, we once had a total blatant corrupt weasel get into power and I’d honestly put it down to one factor. In the morning, there was a radio show where a comedian did daily satirical sketches of him. People found them funny, missing what they should be horrified at (being horrified was the comedian’s original intention). I think a load of people felt they were voting for that guy on in the morning who makes them laugh. Similarly with the likes of Boris and Mogg, maybe people feel like they are voting for that funny buffoon who entertained them on Have I Got News For You and they remind them of characters from the Beano they read five decades ago. Or of Basil Fawlty.

Anyway, I don’t know all that much about Tony Benn but I saw some speeches he made over the years and they were great. He seemed really switched on.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
          If that's the case then they are very bad judges of character; none of those traits apply to any of those men. I wouldn't trust them to look after my cat. And I don't even own a cat.
          Well, I've learned not to trust anyone in the political realm. I think you're always going to end up feeling let down if you put your faith in political celebrities who simply have the gift of the gab and just say what people want to hear. There are too many charlatans who just waste people's time and energy.

When it comes to politicians in general, I think most put their party and the system first, so they will never really do much good. Most act like they're on a career gravy train -- and most of what they say is hollow rhetoric.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          Not sure if all Leon’s post is serious (if so, my apologies for misinterpreting) but, yeah, the idea that Mogg, a snivelling scheming Etonian Viz caricature made flesh, is connected to the common man, is straight talking or trustworthy is hilarious.
          As much as you don't like Mogg -- and your view of him may be 100% bang on -- lots of people are fascinated by him and really embrace the traditional, no nonsense image he's projecting. You can easily appreciate that he's at least an eccentric character amongst all the dull people in modern Westminster. Like it or not -- he's a celebrity politician that lots of people take notice of.

I did take notice of Mogg, because I think modern Britain is a mess, and the way he behaves like a character from a bygone, more simple time, did grab my attention. There are elements of old fashioned society that appeal to me as being better than the nightmare we have now. But sadly, I don't think Mogg is really interested in instilling some sanity back to Westminster and society in general. I think he's simply happy to help his constituents and enjoy some of the limelight projected on him by the media.

Ultimately, I think myself and many others can feel desperate when it comes to wanting politicians to listen, take note, and actually feel committed to improving society for everyone. Most politicians don't really pretend to have the answers, but a few like Farage, Johnson, and Mogg do say what lots of people want to hear.

I personally have little faith in those three characters, or anyone else in politics. I now believe it's down to the British people to stand up and be proactive, rather than hoping for a saviour. I think people standing together and working hard to build a better world is the most sensible, realistic option. I don't think politicians are the answer to the problems -- especially with how obviously self-serving they mostly are these days.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          Anyway, I don’t know all that much about Tony Benn but I saw some speeches he made over the years and they were great. He seemed really switched on.
          Tony Benn made a lot of sense when it came to all the problems in society. He genuinely had a lot of compassion for the common man and the plight of poor people. Unfortunately, he was painted as simply an 'idealist' by many. I think he was just too sensible, honest, and good. All traits that are frowned upon by the political elite. I don't think the system really wants to fix society, which is why decent people have to fight so hard to get any good done.
          Last edited by Leon Retro; 29-03-2019, 00:41.

Comment

Considering the number of people who want Britain to return to "the good old days", I wouldn't be surprised if the recently-thawed Mogg was popular.

Comment

Hilary Benn is a disgrace to his father's legacy. Maybe, he's like that to spite the man who named him Hilary...

Comment

The Benn family never really recovered from that magic costume shop closing down.

Comment

Though May's Vote 2.5 seems destined to fail it is expected to do so by a smaller margin due to many MP's seeing it as a vote on whether Brexit happens at all or not. The laugh is how many say they're voting in favour of it because the time for confusion needs to be over... yet voting yes for it will create the most complicated and dangerous Brexit scenarios so far.

Cox has opened debates by saying MP's should vote in favour of the withdrawal agreement as they can make changes to the political declaration later... because, sure, May would let that happen in reality.

The Shadow Solictor General is speaking for Labour and has said May is hoping MP's vote in favour of a Blind Brexit where they hope terms are held to as they're led into the next phase of negotiations not knowing what will be sought, which party will be in control, who will be leading that party or what cabinet views will be held - he adds that no Brexit process or agreement should depend on the leadership contests of a single party and voting in favour of the deal is to place the UK in the worst position

Meanwhile Boris has updated with yet another flipflip decision saying at the current minute he will support May's deal today saying he's hoping they can change things they don't like after its agreed

The Government has opted to withhold the Withdrawal Bill during today's vote, two Tory Brexiters have said this is because it exposes why the DUP won't support it - It throws Ireland under the bus

Comment

Sturgeon insinuates that Labour MP's are planning to rebel and push May over the line

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                      Sturgeon insinuates that Labour MP's are planning to rebel and push May over the line
                      This line?

Comment

Speculation from the EU's side now that they would extend to 22 May even in a No Deal scenario further highlighting the redundancy of todays vote

Comment

OH, MAKE IT STOP!

Comment

The Independent Group is registering as the political party Change UK under Heidi Allen as Interim Party Leader

Speculation is that May's Deal will fail by a large margin despite some Tory's caving in. Labour is said to be holding fast as they won't risk being seen as to help facilitate Boris Johnsons path to being PM

Comment

MPs have rejected Theresa May’s withdrawal agreement for the third time, by 344 votes to 286 - a majority of 58.

Comment

Mogg flipflopped AGAIN and voted Yes to the Deal

Comment

Working...
                                X