This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend: Season 04
    I can completely understand Rachel Bloom's decision to avoid ending the show on a note where the characters arc ends with her getting her dream guy etc but it means the ending comes off flat and unsatisfying too because ultimately it was always a rom-com movie stretched painfully too far. Rebecca is ultimately a damaged yet utterly awful person and yet the ending has to have everyone pretty much in adoration of her, she's ultimately rewarded for years of terrible behaviour washed over by pulling a 1 year later. It doesn't feel earned and ironically, the show missed it's perfect time to end way back in Season 2 when it as headed towards her coming to several personal realisations and revelations whilst getting her happy ending but wrapping the show around the exit of a co-star lurched it into forcing in a new love interest and it all unravelled from there. I'm kind of glad I saw it to its end but the weak far outweighs the good with this one.

Good Omens
    I haven't read the book so I can't speak to how good an adaptation it is, it's certainly well made but I'd be lying if I didn't say this left me cold. It's light but never funny and be it an issue with the show or stemming from the book it feels bloated, the middle 4-5 eps felt like wheels spinning with everyone meeting up for the last ep to wrap things up in a fairly rushed and undramatic manner. Bit flat.

Comment

I watched two episodes of Schitt's Creek last night. I love the cast and the creator but the first two episodes consisted of nothing but unlikeable people being angry and shouty at each other. So that's it for me. I ended up rewatching episodes of Rilakkuma, which is absolutely gorgeous.

I feel we need more nice shows. It's funny because I think we all (me included) felt TV hugely improved over the last few decades, moving away from the fun but ultimately vacant shows of the 80s where nothing of consequence happened and it pretty much reset at the end of each ep. We then got TV that built, that could be genuinely tense, that had consequences and fallout. Much more movielike. And those shows are great but, now in the world we're living in, I can see how those easy watch low-consequence shows really have a place. Give me something fun!

Comment

The Amazing World of Gumball: Season 06
        The last ever episodes and it was a solid run though the last episode left things on a bit of a weird cliffhanger whimper. A brief search online revealed the creator seemed to have intended an extra episode that was teased earlier in the run but the studio seems to have forced them to stop one early meaning it ends in an odd place. He's hoping to get one sort of one-off or movie to wrap things up which would be great but for now it looks like a sad farewell to a great kids show.

Comment

How can you watch that for any length of time? I feel like I'm developing ADHD and autism whenever it's on!!

Comment

With each ep being just 10 mins long it's been easy to squeeze an ep in here and there. I'm just starting last years season of South Park and then it's onto some fairly stodgy stuff again, so much cramming to watch the stuff the missus won't

Comment

Pandora 2019 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10207090/

Can't see this one lasting more than a few episodes. Garbo.

Why is decent Sci-Fi so hard to come by?

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                With each ep being just 10 mins long it's been easy to squeeze an ep in here and there. I'm just starting last years season of South Park and then it's onto some fairly stodgy stuff again, so much cramming to watch the stuff the missus won't
                Now that is a great series. Enjoy!

Comment

The Orville gets a third season but it's moving to Hulu for it

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                    https://deadline.com/2019/07/the-orv...202649836/amp/

The Orville gets a third season but it's moving to Hulu for it
                    I really enjoyed last season, to me it felt more Star Trek then discovery

Came across Best moments in Brooklyn nine nine and they made me laugh so started watching the series and i have really enjoyed it
                    Last edited by eastyy; 23-07-2019, 10:19.

Comment

Dark Energy

Horizon looks at dark energy - the mysterious force that is unexpectedly causing the universe's expansion to speed up.

The effects of dark energy were discovered in 1998, but physicists still don't know what it is. Worse, its very existence calls into question Albert Einstein's general theory of relativity - the cornerstone of modern physics.

The hunt for the identity of dark energy is on. Experiments on earth and in space generate data that might provide a clue, but there are also hopes that another Einstein might emerge - someone who can write a new theory explaining the mystery of the dark energy

Enjoyed this. I didn't really learn anything new but do enjoy hearing about those things that lie beyond our understanding and, when studied closely, call into question even our basic knowledge, and dark energy/dark matter certainly does that.
                      Last edited by Zen Monkey; 24-07-2019, 10:45.

Comment

Finished off Warrior - bloody great show cannot wait for the next season

Comment

The Flash: Season 05
                          Finally got there in the end, it hasn't been the bets of seasons with an overly sign posted arc that was better fit to half a season rather than a whole one. The finale wrapped things up in nice order and lined things up ready for 06 and the event episodes but there's a need to sharpen the shows focus as it's slipping into dragging out season villains who are a bit too baddy of the week.

Comment

South Park: Season 22
                            I'd probably say that this run lacked stand out jokes compared to others but as an overall arc this is one of the runs I've enjoyed most of the last few years. Just seemed to have a fun, natural flow to it.

Comment

Everybody in the Place: an Incomplete History of Britain

This is one of the best programmes I've seen in a long time. It's a film by Turner prize-winning artist Jeremy Deller which examines the musical phenomenon that became known as acid house. What sets this apart from other music documentaries is that as well as being a historical look at the music it is also anthropological (ie a study of human beings). Far from your typical nostalgic rose-tinted view of old music, we are provided with a keenly intelligent examination of the social, political and cultural conditions that gave rise to acid house and what aspects of the human condition are attracted to it.

In the film Jeremy compares going to raves to going to church: everyone is gathered together to celebrate and experience something greater than themselves, the incredible power that electronic music has to entrance and unify people, and how completely surrendering yourself to the music and the dance (ie the moment) is a transcendent experience that can completely change peoples lives.

I was too young for acid house but was fanatical about goa trance throughout the 90s and even though this film is about acid house, it perfectly captures the vibe of the goa trance scene and how going to illegal raves became more than just an entertaining night out, but an act of defiance, of freedom, of personal identity. They were great times, the 90s, filled with great raves... raves you only heard about by knowing the right people, directions to which you could only get by meeting certain strangers at certain locations (usually a petrol station) at a certain time; they were all very hush hush, all word of mouth, to try keep the cops away, to try and keep the riff raff away, but when you got there, to the forest clearing, the abandoned quarry, the beach, or wherever it was, they were amazing. Music pumping out into the night, everyone very, very high, everyone there for the tunes and the experience. And unlike nigh clubs, no bother, no fights, no nonsense.

If you were into the rave scene, you'll love this film and will surely identify with it.

Last edited by Zen Monkey; 06-08-2019, 12:15.

Comment

Tangled: Season 02
                                Second run wasn't as good as the first, the intention of making it a road trip adventure just made it more prone to filler episodes. Okay but hopefully the final season pulls it together tighter like the first run.

Big Little Lies: Season 01
                                Shows what high profile casting can get you, largely this is hugely overrated. It's like a high production budget Real Housewives that ends with a death. Slow paced with a lot of focus on the binary issues of four characters who would never get along in real life, nearly all rich and for some reason literally everyone lives solely on beach front property. Kind of passable enough but very overrated, without its cast it would have sunk without a trace.

Swamp Thing
                                Wraps up in a rushed tenth and final episode but at least there's some sort of send off to it. I'm not sure how well this would have run as an ongoing series but what's here is very well made and translates the character brilliantly.

Comment

Working...
                                X