Raspberry Pi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a question.

Could you install a Pi in an arcade cab? Like an Astro for example?

Also, can you fit the fan in the LEGO case?
    Last edited by teddymeow; 20-02-2019, 21:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
      Offer still stands.
      Cheers [MENTION=9865]Colin[/MENTION].

Let me think about the logistics / easiest way to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
        [MENTION=7037]Soundwave[/MENTION] - yes, Xbox 360 and PS3 controllers and will work fine with RetroPie. I also have the Madcatz TE for 360 and have used that. I have also tried the SFIV pads that came out at same time, Dual Shock 3 and 8bitdo SF30 Pro too. And the old Sega USB Saturn controller.

RetroPie works best with a 11 button, dual analog stick controller like the 360 pad as this pretty much covers a lot of control schemes and button inputs.

That said I've used the 8bitdo Bluetooth adapter rather than use the built in RPi 3 BT functionality. Also worth mentioning these controllers all work in Linux on PC if you were building a RetroArch based PC setup. Those Linux drivers is why they all work in RetroPie so well.
        Thanks buddy, need to dig the sticks out of storage

Anyways my one arrived today aaaaand I can't get my wired 360 pad to do anything
        It's running Retro Pie & Emulation station
        But can't get it to recognise any inputs

Neil

Comment

[MENTION=7037]Soundwave[/MENTION] a few thoughts:

- is it an unofficial 360 joypad, as they don't always work with RPi's?
          - what power supply are you using, as the RPi model 3 needs 2.5v and it might be USB not getting enough power?
          - are you using RetroPie SD image or Raspian with RetroPie installed on top?
          - stupid question time, but its not a Wireless Xbox 360 controller with a Plug & Play cable?

Also have you tried any other controllers i.e. plugged in a DS3/4, or Xbox One controller? Again any of these will work with RetroPie. As per the other thread I was playing with a Speedlink Comptition Pro Extra Anniversary Edition and it was recognised straight away allowing me to configure it.

Comment

I'm still looking at this for my emulation needs.

Would I be better off with this or looking to modify my WiiU and all the hoopla that comes with that?

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
              I'm still looking at this for my emulation needs.

Would I be better off with this or looking to modify my WiiU and all the hoopla that comes with that?
              I personally have no experience of modding a Wii or Wii U. However a Wii U is going to be much better at emulation of Nintedo systems, such as DS, N64, GC, Wii and obviously Wii U.

The RPi 3 models tend to work best with PS1 and older although it can emulate some of the N64/PSP/Dreamcast/DS but it will struggle with much of the library.

The appeal of the RPi is the cheaper cost, bigger community, and ease to setup. So it will depend on what you want I suspect.

Comment

[MENTION=7037]Soundwave[/MENTION] a few thoughts:

- is it an unofficial 360 joypad, as they don't always work with RPi's?
                - what power supply are you using, as the RPi model 3 needs 2.5v and it might be USB not getting enough power?
                - are you using RetroPie SD image or Raspian with RetroPie installed on top?
                - stupid question time, but its not a Wireless Xbox 360 controller with a Plug & Play cable?

Also have you tried any other controllers i.e. plugged in a DS3/4, or Xbox One controller? Again any of these will work with RetroPie. As per the other thread I was playing with a Speedlink Comptition Pro Extra Anniversary Edition and it was recognised straight away allowing me to configure it.
                It is an official wired pad
                It shows it's recognised as the pad lights up for player 1

PSU is an official Ras Pi one

I sadly don't have any other pads to try
                I don't have a USB cable for my Xbox one controller

I have no idea how it is set up
                It came pre-configured
                Boots direct to Retropi & then auto loads Emulation Station so no clue how any of it works

Neil

Comment

[MENTION=7037]Soundwave[/MENTION] OK the power supply is good, seems to match my model from thePiHut.com. As an aside they only sell them white but they look like the same model. Also I wrote 2.5V when clearly I meant 2.5A/5.1V (not an electrician lol).

Lots of issues with people using the older (but look similar) RPi AC adapters which are only 2A, or cheaper third party adapters that struggle to get enough power to the RPi 3 (RPi 1/0's require a lot less power).

So my guess would be that it's something on the pre-built image you've bought, assuming the wired 360 pad works. What should happen is when you plug in a new controller RetroPie/Emulation Station will automatically bring up the config screen where it asks you to hold down a button if you wish to configure it. At this step of holding down the controller it should list what the model is (although controllers like the 8bitdo can be recognised as different models depending on mode).

The Xbox One controller simply needs a micro-USB to USB cable. Are you sure you haven't got any in your house for mobile phones, tablets or anything?

If it's a newer Xbox One controller with 3.5mm audio jack then it will work via Bluetooth but this is more complicated to set up.

Failing this it might be something to do with how the microSD card is compiled. In which case it is very easy to go to the RetroPie website and download the latest image, and use something like Etcher to write the image to a mSD card.

However if you're bought some sort of bundle you may want to use a new mSD card rather than write over what they have sent you.

I can't think of other causes because I've not had the joypad screen not work for me.

Comment

@Soundwave OK the power supply is good, seems to match my model from thePiHut.com. As an aside they only sell them white but they look like the same model. Also I wrote 2.5V when clearly I meant 2.5A/5.1V (not an electrician lol).

Lots of issues with people using the older (but look similar) RPi AC adapters which are only 2A, or cheaper third party adapters that struggle to get enough power to the RPi 3 (RPi 1/0's require a lot less power).

So my guess would be that it's something on the pre-built image you've bought, assuming the wired 360 pad works. What should happen is when you plug in a new controller RetroPie/Emulation Station will automatically bring up the config screen where it asks you to hold down a button if you wish to configure it. At this step of holding down the controller it should list what the model is (although controllers like the 8bitdo can be recognised as different models depending on mode).

The Xbox One controller simply needs a micro-USB to USB cable. Are you sure you haven't got any in your house for mobile phones, tablets or anything?

If it's a newer Xbox One controller with 3.5mm audio jack then it will work via Bluetooth but this is more complicated to set up.

Failing this it might be something to do with how the microSD card is compiled. In which case it is very easy to go to the RetroPie website and download the latest image, and use something like Etcher to write the image to a mSD card.

However if you're bought some sort of bundle you may want to use a new mSD card rather than write over what they have sent you.

I can't think of other causes because I've not had the joypad screen not work for me.
                    Sorry buddy, totally forgot to reply to this.
                    Thanks for the extra info...still not working lol

Yeah my One controller is the one from the S so has the 3.5mm jack.
                    It is probably a build issue, I keep meaning to do a quick vid of the boot sequence so that you can see what happens

It all came from a guy on Arcade Otaku so I've dropped him a message anyway to see but I'll have another look at the online setups & look at maybe building a new card...only I have no idea what I need as this was pre-built

If you have any info on what I need to get it would be appreciated.

Thanks again for the help so far I appreciate it

Neil

Comment

Not ever pad is plug and play i had to jump through quite a few hoops to get the Neo Geo x stick to work with my pi. There are loads of vid's that show you how to get retropie working on your system if you have a spare half an hour you can teach yourself how to install stuff and how to set it up how you like. it may seems a bit daunting but when it all boots up and works flawlessly its quite satisfying thinking "i did this".

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                        Not ever pad is plug and play i had to jump through quite a few hoops to get the Neo Geo x stick to work with my pi.
                        I've not had a pad work with RetroPie yet although I've not tried the NeoGeo X stick. That said an Official Wired 360 will work with no problems on the RPi/RetroPie. I've used the Official Wireless 360 controller countless times.

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                        Sorry buddy, totally forgot to reply to this.
                        Thanks for the extra info...still not working lol

Yeah my One controller is the one from the S so has the 3.5mm jack.
                        It is probably a build issue, I keep meaning to do a quick vid of the boot sequence so that you can see what happens

It all came from a guy on Arcade Otaku so I've dropped him a message anyway to see but I'll have another look at the online setups & look at maybe building a new card...only I have no idea what I need as this was pre-built

If you have any info on what I need to get it would be appreciated.

Thanks again for the help so far I appreciate it

Neil
                        No worries.

I may have mistaken what you meant, in that I thought RetroPie would load for you and then you couldn't configure any inputs? However your latest post gives the impression your RPi can't even load RetroPie?

If RetroPie is loading (i.e. so you see EmulationStation) something I should have said is that you can also use a USB Keyboard to access the menu's (indeed this is often recommended for advanced config). This is another way you can get to the controller input screen.

Creating a RetroPie installation is very easy (as it is with most Raspberry Pi images. Essentially all you are doing is downloading a pre-defined image which you then load onto a microSD card. It won't have any ROMS on it but it will allow you load what you'll know to be a working RetroPie image.

I could write out the steps but there is a really good guide here: https://retropie.org.uk/docs/First-I.../#installation

Essentially you download RetroPie 4.4 for RPi 2/3, download and install Etcher for PC, write the downloaded RetroPie image to a microSD card with the Etcher program, then place the microSD card in the RPi 3 where it should automatically boot into RetroPie for the first time. If a controller is detected you will see a welcome screen with a option to press a button to configure a controller.

It maybe that whomever has sold/sent you the RPi has a 'pre-configured' build of RetroPie that has ROM packs, box art/videos, bezel artwork and other add-ons already installed.

One other thing has sprung to mind and that did stop one RetroPie build working for me, and that's make sure you have a Cat 5/6/7 network cable plugged in. Some Emulators can rely on this as they need to connect to the internet first time (unlikely here but who knows). The RPi 3 does support wifi but it'll need config and I don't personally use it.

Happy to try and help if I can.

Comment

I'd recommend Googling "retropie arcade punks" - Edit: Apparently they're having server issues at the moment.
                          Last edited by MartyG; 01-03-2019, 10:38.

Comment

Got mine.

Actually really easy to set up.

Then I updated it and all the USB ports stopped working.

Comment

No worries.

I may have mistaken what you meant, in that I thought RetroPie would load for you and then you couldn't configure any inputs? However your latest post gives the impression your RPi can't even load RetroPie?

If RetroPie is loading (i.e. so you see EmulationStation) something I should have said is that you can also use a USB Keyboard to access the menu's (indeed this is often recommended for advanced config). This is another way you can get to the controller input screen.

Creating a RetroPie installation is very easy (as it is with most Raspberry Pi images. Essentially all you are doing is downloading a pre-defined image which you then load onto a microSD card. It won't have any ROMS on it but it will allow you load what you'll know to be a working RetroPie image.

I could write out the steps but there is a really good guide here: https://retropie.org.uk/docs/First-I.../#installation

Essentially you download RetroPie 4.4 for RPi 2/3, download and install Etcher for PC, write the downloaded RetroPie image to a microSD card with the Etcher program, then place the microSD card in the RPi 3 where it should automatically boot into RetroPie for the first time. If a controller is detected you will see a welcome screen with a option to press a button to configure a controller.

It maybe that whomever has sold/sent you the RPi has a 'pre-configured' build of RetroPie that has ROM packs, box art/videos, bezel artwork and other add-ons already installed.

One other thing has sprung to mind and that did stop one RetroPie build working for me, and that's make sure you have a Cat 5/6/7 network cable plugged in. Some Emulators can rely on this as they need to connect to the internet first time (unlikely here but who knows). The RPi 3 does support wifi but it'll need config and I don't personally use it.

Happy to try and help if I can.
                              Sorry my terrible wording.

Let me go through it from the beginning...

Once it powers up it goes black screen & runs loads of prompts
                              Then stops at the bottom when it says something DCHP (or something)
                              It runs through a routine & then carries on loading
                              I then get the RetroPie screen (Random controller or arcade pic with the Ras logo)
                              It then goes back to the black screen for a few more prompts
                              After that I get the Emulation Station loading screen
                              It then goes to a main screen where I should be able to use the controller to select what section I play from (CPS2 / MAME etc.) but that's when it does nothing, no input works, buttons, D-Pad, Analogue sticks all just dead, despite the Xbox pad showing it is use as player One

I think what might have happened is the first time I booted up the Ras I was using a pad with the play & charge kit connector & not the wired pad
                              So when it did the hang up with the DCHP (or whatever) I'm sure it said push a button & I did
                              So I'm wondering now if I've corrupted the pad check & it won't recognise the new pad.

Is there a way to reset it?

Also I'll try the Cat 5 cable tomorrow...wasn't aware of that bit

Thanks again for the help

Neil

Comment

Sound like your RetroPie build is loading correctly.

Without getting into editing config files I would say either a) plug in a new, different controller, which should automatically bring up the welcome screen to configure the new controller or b) try a USB keyboard where you can select MENU and select configure the controller option.

For option a) your Xbox One pad will suffice with a micro USB cable. Or in a similar vein a Dualshock 3 or 4 connected via USB will all suffice.

That said all a Plug and Play kit does is charge a Wireless 360 Controller with a rechargeable battery pack inserted. So that shouldn't be picked up by RetroPie. An official Wired 360 Controller won't ever use the Plug and Play kit as it has no batteries (and a Plug and Play kit does not transmit data and turn a Wireless 360 controller into a Wired one).

Stupid question time, is this definitely a Wired 360 controller and not a Wireless 360 Controller plugged in with the Plug and Play kit?
                                Last edited by Digfox; 01-03-2019, 21:13.

Comment

Working...
                                X