Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, but they have the two sets of figures side by side so, in this case, two very different pies adding to very different numbers but have made the choice to set them both at different sizes yet with their largest block being identical in both size and colour. Which is pretty much as confusing as they could make it and, yep, in this case those two 100%s are very different sizes.

Anyway, what's clear is that the Switch is currently doing well compared with the other two systems and that was really the only thing in question. It's an interesting result and probably not one I'd have predicted but I guess maybe there is an advantage in bringing a large set of handheld gamers to the system while still being able to claim it as a home console.

I wonder how the split works? As in how many people use it as 1) handheld 2) home system or 3) a mix of both. For me, it's very much 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      I wonder how the split works? As in how many people use it as 1) handheld 2) home system or 3) a mix of both. For me, it's very much 3.
      They did a survey a year or so ago. It was a very close split three ways.

EDIT: No, I'm wrong:

That was October 2017 though. Maybe things are different now?
      Last edited by dataDave; 12-07-2019, 15:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        Yeah, you're right about the raw numbers so far for each system and I get where you're coming from but, if the figures above are an indicator, the Switch is currently ruling. It just didn't rule in the years it wasn't out (obvs!). So I'd still say that, yeah, you can say it's ruling if it's currently outselling the other existing consoles. Unless that time frame posted above was cherry picked and not indicative of the bigger picture (which is possible) because I'd completely agree with you on that car example. But if they managed to keep it up over a couple of years, that's a different story.
        Thing is, the market for people who don’t have a switch is much larger that the market for people who don’t own a PS4 so they’re easier to sell to. So I still say you can’t say the switch is ruling. It’s doing well for sure!!! You can’t even go back to the same point in PS4 life and measure it against that because the landscape is different.

Comment

Okay well I’m not going to dispute a personal interpretation of the word “ruling” because you’re not in any way wrong at all so, yes, okay. But I guess what I’ve learned today is that, for 2019, it is outselling the PS4 by a bit and is considerably outselling the XBox One and that is notable in itself for me personally and I wouldn’t have predicted it given the dominance Sony seem to have had.

Comment

I would say at least some
            Percentage of those buyers are buying it as well as a PS4 or Xbox. They’re gamers, they like games, only Nintendo have Nintendo games and only Nintendo have a handheld. Gamers wanting a handheld only really have one choice! Gotta getta switch!

Comment

Of course.

Comment

There’s a decent sale on at the moment. As I expected, it didn’t take long for those Resident Evil games to go on sale - not huge savings but enough to be very tempting. Will I finally play RE4? I don’t know. Might just buy Cadence of Hyrule instead (which just to clarify is not in the sale).

Comment

New Digital Foundry video just up about Switch Lite. Nothing that major and largely based on previous reddit work etc.

In summary:
                  • European Press had no briefings, just US press (maybe that's why there was no Euros price)
                  • Lite is Mariko chipset rather than Logan (so faster, GDDR4X etc. but crucially more energy efficient)
                  • Battery 33% better, but likely smaller than existing Switch
                  • They agree probably a 'silent update/revision of Switch, and therefore no Tegra X2 Pro coming. At least not for a long time.

Comment

The whole sales figures thing does paint a positive picture for the Switch but personally I can't get passed the idea that it currently sneaking past the current day to day sales figures of a console that launched a full 4 years before it and is soon to be obsolete could really be considered to be ruling. At a hot take guess, even though I guess they're classed as different gens, I wouldn't be keen to wager that lifetime sales of Switch will end up being higher than those of PS4. Nintendo will have to lose zero momentum over the next 5 years to hit 100m and... I'm not sure I see it, or if it does it getting much past that point.

Comment

So is the normal Switch sku getting the mariko processor? And if so when will the change over be?

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                        So is the normal Switch sku getting the mariko processor? And if so when will the change over be?
                        In theory yes, and that's the million dollar question.

Comment

Pre-orders are up in Norway at ~£249. Granted the regular Switch's MSRP is ~£100 more but still. I want this at £179. My main issue is that the regular model is often available at ~300, so I'd pay only £50 less for a secondary unit.

Think I'll need someone on here to buy it for me from Amazon UK and ship it to me. It'll be much cheaper for me as long as I can still use my regular Switch charger as I already have two of those
                          Last edited by Nico87; 14-07-2019, 09:28.

Comment

Is the switch dragon quest slime controller a Japan exclusive?

Comment

Originally posted by Junko View Post
                              Is the switch dragon quest slime controller a Japan exclusive?
                              Yep, and will most likely stay that way

Comment

Do third-party docks brick the Switch? Some of these on eBay are £7 and I could really do with one:

Comment

Working...
                                X